Why are Warforged so bad?

Emirikol

Adventurer
Sentient Warforged Scout

The warforged are 'bad' because they're so integral to the fabric of Eberron play. They are one of seven things that makes Eberron unique from other worlds.

...plus the Warforged Scout is cool too (from the RPGA player rewards cards and MMIII):
"They Send Tanix for diversion. I am the surgical strike." - Servine IV, warforged scout
Not all warfoged fit all purposes, and the smaller, more nimble warforged scouts were built for skirmish and stealth, to compliment to the larger models' strength and stamina. Though either less common or less seen than the larger warforged, they are subject to Treaty of Thornhold, which granted warforged their freedom through most of Khorvaire.

BENEFIT: You are a warforged scout. Warforged scouts possess the following racial traits:
* +2 Dexterity, -2 strength, -2 wisdom, -2 charisma.
* Small size, +1 bonus to AC, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters
* A warforges scout's base land speed is 20 feet
* Special qualities (see Eberron Campaign Setting)
* Automatic languages: Common. Bonus languages: none.
* Favored class: Rogue

More information on the warforged scout can be found in Monster Manual III and MARK OF HEROES, SET 2, CARD 1 OF 10 "SENTIENT SCOUT"

It reminds me of the AT-ST from star warts.

Felon

First Post
Quasqueton said:
Constructs with Constitution? Makes. No. Sense.

The only sense it seems that is necessary is Keith Baker's notion that magical androids are a neat idea for a PC race. Warforged are the hump you have to get over to accept the Eberron setting. Once you have PC robots in your fantasy, everything else about the spellpunk setting becomes easier to swallow.

Gez

First Post
Kesh said:
Creeping? From what I understand, they were always there. They just aren't major players, and are mostly restricted to a continent that doesn't get detailed.

Yeah, but they get more and more attention. It is in that way they are creeping. The more attention they get, the more "look it, they are cool" articles devoted to them they have, and the more they will creep in Khorvaire, where they are not supposed to be, until the whole continent gets renamed Drizztaire.

I think we know more about the drow (NPC race from Xen'drik, the place where adventurers go once they're high-level enough) than about, say, the Talenta halflings (PC race from Khorvaire, the places where all adventures start and a majority of them stay throughout the campaign). So of course, the drow are "cooler" than the halflings, and you will have more PC drow even-if-they're-not-supposed-to-be-there than you will have PC halflings. QED.

Kesh said:
Not to mention there are different Drow: the Umbragen (shadow elves), the scorpion worshippers, and the "extinct" ones in the Ring of Storms (detailed in the latest Dungeon).

See? The defense rests.

Three drow cultures, two of which are very interesting, and the last one of which has still not shown to the world how cool it is (with elemental binders that are, from birth, much much better than even the most experienced Zil shipwright, notably).

I hate drow. The moment they're allowed to exist in a setting, they'll hog all the spotlight until they've blotted the sun out, having sucked all its energy just to shine more than the other races. (This is why drow are often allied to mindflayers. Mindflayers know drow work naturally toward their ends.)

Now that Eberron has started to heavily focus on the drow, it has jumped the shark. Now we will have drow stuff in every Eberron product, be it a sourcebook, and adventure, or a magazine article. Don't complain later, you were warned!

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Kesh said:
Creeping? From what I understand, they were always there. They just aren't major players, and are mostly restricted to a continent that doesn't get detailed.

Not to mention there are different Drow: the Umbragen (shadow elves), the scorpion worshippers, and the "extinct" ones in the Ring of Storms (detailed in the latest Dungeon).
Yes, always there in Xen'drik, in Dungeon, in Dragon and in RoE...creeping by demand... :D I think you can even find quotes from Hellcow (K. Baker) that the were never to be a playable race (I will search on that).

Last edited:

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Marshall said:
So I finally picked up Eberron, thinking that it had some cool ideas in it (Boy was I wrong).
See, that's the problem. The Eberron Campaign Setting really isn't a stand alone crucnch book. It's not just a big book of subraces, feats, and PrCs that can be used in any setting. Most of what's in there assumes that your either playing in Eberron or something close to it. WotC can't advertise this because they need people to belive that it's all modular, but it's not as modular as, say, The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

I love Eberron, but I picked up the book thinking I'd have another book the FRCS, and I was disapointed in that area. Fortunitly, I loved the setting and got to run a game there.

Felon said:
spellpunk
I'm going to steal this word. I'm going to use it and pretend Eberron always been called "spellpunk." :cool:

Gez

First Post
fanboy2000 said:
See, that's the problem. The Eberron Campaign Setting really isn't a stand alone crucnch book. It's not just a big book of subraces, feats, and PrCs that can be used in any setting. Most of what's in there assumes that your either playing in Eberron or something close to it. WotC can't advertise this because they need people to belive that it's all modular, but it's not as modular as, say, The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

Well, I use it as an idea mine, and my world is definitely different (see above for the planar warforged, for example).

I just won't mine anything related to drow. My setting is clean and pristine, untouched by the foul drowtaint.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases