I'm working on a d20 future game

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I would like to see what you the players would like to see in your scifi setting. This idea has been my pet project for awhile.

I would like to go right were Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5 or any other scifi world went wrong. This is not meant to start a debate on how bad Nemisis, Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones are.

I want this world to be everything to everyone. Is that too much?

Also if there is already a similar thread somewhere point me in the direction and any ideas I use will be given full cedit especially if the setting is ever published in some form.

Last edited:

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I guess it will be a mix of Star Trek and Star Wars. Sci fantasy might be the best way to put it. I would like to have science that could work but also magic.

lmpjr007

Explorer
Well the real question is "Did they go wrong?' Star Trek, Star Wars and Babylon 5 have legions of fans and incredible brand recognition. Now are you building a SF setting just to be different or are you looking to help build up the concept of SF. And most inportant, no matter how cool you setting may be the most important question you can ask yourself is would anyone really pay money to play it?

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
personaly I dont think any of them went wrong.

I want to add to the scifi experience. I want it to stand up there with those universes on the same level.

Roudi

First Post
Aeson said:
This idea has been my pet project for awhile.
Forgive me if this sounds a bit rude, but, if this idea is your pet project, why are you asking us for the ideas? I just think this would go easier if you gave us some of your ideas first; then we could see how we like them and give you suggestions on advancing them the way you want.

Gomez

First Post
Aeson said:
I want this world to be everything to everyone. Is that too much?

Yes!

Kitchen sink campaign settings rarely work. And personally, I don't like magic in my sci-fi! Try sticking to a few core concepts and add from there. It will be alot easier on you and the setting. That way you don't get a big stinking pile of stuff that doesn't work together.

Insight

Adventurer
I second Gomez. Don't try to do everything in your setting. Depth in your setting is likely to be more important than trying to please everyone.

The settings you refer to are not game settings, mind you. They started off as television shows or movies. It's a trap to try to create something that's 'as good' as Star Wars, Star Trek, etc., because you're talking about a wholly different medium. Sure, they have been adapted as game settings, but they didn't start off that way. Be careful to compare apples to apples here. I would start by looking at other sci-fi gaming settings and see what you like or don't like about those before trying to challenge the 'big boys'.

Peterson

First Post
Best suggestion I can give you is start small - a single organization, ship, colony, planet. Expand from there.

Another good one is start with the "old tech" first. Sci Fi isn't just the "best toys" - old, worn-out but still used (and solid) tech can be easily overlooked.

Also, I third the "Kitchen Sink" thought process. Put too much in, and it will appeal to even less people. Keep it tight, smart, and solid.

Peterson

JimAde

First Post
Peterson said:
Best suggestion I can give you is start small - a single organization, ship, colony, planet. Expand from there.

Another good one is start with the "old tech" first. Sci Fi isn't just the "best toys" - old, worn-out but still used (and solid) tech can be easily overlooked.

Also, I third the "Kitchen Sink" thought process. Put too much in, and it will appeal to even less people. Keep it tight, smart, and solid.

Peterson
I agree, but if you DO like magic in your sci-fi (as I do) that's fine. Just make that a major feature. Don't try to have magic AND major psionics AND a complex ship-combat system AND a VR sub-system AND a funky technology with weird consequences AND... you get the idea. :)

But as Roudi says, what have you got so far? That will tell us a lot about where you want to go.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases