Sun Blade -- Opposing Weapon

Azaar

Explorer
I've been trying to put together a 'nemesis' of sorts for the Sun Blade... a weapon with the same bonuses, albeit switched (+2/+4 vs good creatures/double damage against good outsiders and Positive Energy Plane creatures).

However, when it comes to the special ability, I'm considering one of two options: 1) darkness as per the description of the sunbeam special ability, or 2) enervation and the ability to make a ranged touch attack to deal damage and drain a level temporarily (DC 16 to save, level drained for 2d4 days on failed save). Thoughts on which option to use (if not both, assuming it would not be too imbalancing)? Suggestions for names and for the item creation itself (I'm thinking Craft Magic Arms & Armor, caster level 10th, darkness/enervation, creator must be evil. Market Price: 50,335 gp; Cost to Create: 25,335 gp + 3,000 XP -- possible suggestions for alteration are welcome).

graydoom

First Post
Since you want this to be the opposite of the sunblade, I would go with Darkness. That, and a ranged touch attack for 2d4 negative levels would be a good deal more powerful than the sunblade.
I'd advise making the price the same as for the sunblade, except opposite. Craft Magic Arms & Armor, caster level 10th, darkness, creator must be evil. Market Price: 50,335 gp; Cost to Create: 25,335 gp + 2,000 XP.

For the name... something like shadowblade or darkblade would do fine.

niko718

First Post
Darkness is best or...

Would suggest that darkness would be the best opposition.
Actually was thinking of a grey mist that filters the sun and may even do a point of strength damage as long as target stays within the mist.

Level draining sounds too much.

Ruvion

First Post
Well you need the "blade" part in it...
Hence, the Blade of Darkness?
Sounds like a cheezy game. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cloudgatherer

First Post
This what you are thinking of?

Shadow Blade: This sword is the size of a bastard sword. However, its enchantment enables the shadow blade to be wielded as if it were a short sword with respect to weight and ease of use. (In other words, the weapon appears to all viewers to be a bastard sword, and deals bastard sword damage, but the wielder feels and reacts as if the weapon were a short sword.) Any individual able to use either a bastard sword or a short sword with proficiency is proficient in the use of a sun blade. Likewise, Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization in short sword and bastard sword apply equally.

In normal combat, the dark shadowy blade of the weapon is equal to a +2 bastard sword. Against good creatures, its enhancement bonus is +4. Against Positive Energy Plane creatures or good outsiders, the sword deals double damage (and x3 on a critical hit instead of the usual x2).

Furthermore, the blade has a special darkness power. Once a day, the wielder can swing the blade vigorously above her head while speaking a command word. The shadow blade then creates a dark sphere centered on the blade. The darkness begins emitting in a 10-foot radius around the sword wielder and spreads outward at 5 feet per round for 10 rounds thereafter, to create a globe of darkness with a 60-foot radius. When the wielder stops swinging, the darkness recedes to a faint shadow that persists for another minute before disappearing entirely. All shadow blades are of evil alignment, and any good creature attempting to wield one gains one negative level. The negative level remains as long as the sword is in hand and disappears when the sword is no longer wielded. This negative level never results in actual level loss, but it cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the sword is wielded.

Caster Level: 10th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, darkness, creator must be evil; Market Price: 50,335 gp; Cost to Create: 25,335 gp + 2,000 XP.

Azaar

Explorer
That would be it, Cloudgatherer. :D

My assumption was that such a weapon didn't exist, since I've never really seen one in any D&D book, so I figured I'd try to make up my own. Your writing of it is probably exactly how I plan to view the weapon.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
The text is just from the sun blade entry in the SRD, with the appropriate editing. Seemed easy enough to do, so there you have it!

Later.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases