Dry Erase Battle Mat

Steel_Wind

Legend
Darth K'Trava said:
You must have some RICH players..... :confused: I know I couldn't afford to spend that kind of loot on a digital projector.... And we don't have the resources to use one either. Nor the space.

We'll stick with the Tact-Tiles! :cool:

Rich?

It's essentially the cost of the core rules, per player (assuming a group of 5).

That's an expense for something you use every session; Indeed, more often than you use the PHB.

There are HUNDREDS of ENWorlders who spend that amount of money a month on gaming stuff.

It may well be more than you are willing to pay. But rich? Uhmm. No.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I most certainly did read the other threads.

A) I said $1000 for the laptop and the projector.
B) A mechanism to suspend it over the table is hardly portable.
C) There is absolutely no way it is fast than sketching something out by hand.
D) They look better if you put a substantial amount of effort into it. Otherwise, they look repetitive
E) 1500 ANSI is insufficient in a brightly lit room, not to mention the heat output

I'm not saying it's not do-able. I've done it. I'm saying that for most people, myself included, the benefits do not yet outweight the cost or effort.

A) Ok. If we are off buying laptops now as well - ok. There are a great deal of ENworlders who already have one.

B) A poster from Australia has shown his portable and collapsible tripod mount. We use a collapsible pole. It'll fit in a nylon fishing rod tube. I'd have to swtich our other support bar to collapse as well. But it most certainly is portable - if that's the test.

C) It is faster than by hand. Easily so. You haven't read the threads. Most of these interior maps we are using are already drawn. You download them off of Paizo's site for new Dungeon maps or scan em or take em from a pdf. Prep in Tabletop mapper and go. Do even half the same level of detail on Tact-tiles or a Battlemat - you'll take longer.

D) NWN maps are used for exterior environments. Still faster than hand drawn. No - not repetitive.

E) 1500 ANSI is more than sufficient for top down projection in a room with 2 80w incandesants 2 halogen floor torch lamps and an overhead incandescant in the adjoining room. If you think it isn't - then you have not tried it.

Ds Da Man

First Post
Also on the plexiglass, just draw one squares on one side of the PG with a thin permanant marker. Then you just have to print your map, stick it underneath, viola! We also use some grease pencils on the plexiglass, they seem to clean better then DRY ERASE. GO get some window markers, much easier. (Walmart, about $3).

I concur that the projector idea still isn't as feasible as it needs to be in order to replace hand drawn maps. A lot of people don't have or don't want to use a laptop. Plus there is no way that a DM can prepare for all the possible mapping needs unless said DM is unemployed with nothing better to do than prep maps all day. A DM that frequently "wings it" isn't going to necessarily have maps on hand whereas they can be drawn on a battlemap much quicker than screwing around with some kind of art program on a laptop. I may be wrong, but it also appears to me that the display from the projector is smaller than the large size battlemap that we use.

And $500 for a projector is still not an option for the majority of players/DMs. I know my group would probably laugh at me if I asked them to each chip in $50-100 for a projector.

I realize Steel_Wind is in love with the idea, but it's still not "all that and a bag of chips". Some day maybe, but not today...

Last edited:

Brottor Dankil

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
A) Ok. If we are off buying laptops now as well - ok. There are a great deal of ENworlders who already have one.

B) A poster from Australia has shown his portable and collapsible tripod mount. We use a collapsible pole. It'll fit in a nylon fishing rod tube. I'd have to swtich our other support bar to collapse as well. But it most certainly is portable - if that's the test.

C) It is faster than by hand. Easily so. You haven't read the threads. Most of these interior maps we are using are already drawn. You download them off of Paizo's site for new Dungeon maps or scan em or take em from a pdf. Prep in Tabletop mapper and go. Do even half the same level of detail on Tact-tiles or a Battlemat - you'll take longer.

D) NWN maps are used for exterior environments. Still faster than hand drawn. No - not repetitive.

E) 1500 ANSI is more than sufficient for top down projection in a room with 2 80w incandesants 2 halogen floor torch lamps and an overhead incandescant in the adjoining room. If you think it isn't - then you have not tried it.

A) And there are a great deal of EN Worlders that don't have a laptop. I guess we could do a poll to see what percentage of EN Worlders have laptops and what percentage don't. But the point is that a computer is required for the system to function.

B) Laptop, projector, and tripod is more portable than a box of Tact-Tiles, right. And you are hanging a $500 piece of equipment from a pole. Hmmm, OK. Just make sure your homeowners insurance is payed up.

C) Faster to "draw" when the map is already drawn by Paizo, sure. Having more detail on a computer generated map than on a drawing board/mat, absolutely. But faster to draw just the basic outline on the computer than on a drawing board/mat, no way. And the basic outline is all you need to play the game.

Plus, the ability to improvise is important. What happens when you have a cave-in? What happens when the party doesn't go in the direction you anticipated? What happens when a stone shape spell is used to make a passage or block one?

D) Faster in this case is relative to the map accuracy needed. If you don't really care where the exact location of a tree, bush, or rock is located you can use a pre-generated computer map. If you have a plan that requires exact locations of the features (for a staged ambush and the like), hand drawing is faster than computer drawing. Same point as before, if you just need a quick outline of the features on the battle field, hand drawing is faster. If you want more detail, computer generated maps will be faster.

E) Nope, haven't tried it or seen it except on photos. Looks like to me on most of the pictures that the room is dark. That may be a function of the photographer preference, but it does raise some concern.

Aristotle

First Post
*sigh* tact-tiles. If they made a wet erase version I'd have two of the big sets already. I'm just no comfortable enough with dry erase. Oh well, I have several (5) chessex mats so I'm good for the time being.

dreaded_beast

First Post
I'm really thinking about investing in Tact-Tiles...I'm just a bit leery about ordering from the web site due to it's "unique" web design.

Has anyone ordered directly from the website, how long did it take for you to receive your shipment?

Steel_Wind

Legend
Ogrork the Mighty said:
I concur that the projector idea still isn't as feasible as it needs to be in order to replace hand drawn maps.

And $500 for a projector is still not an option for the majority of players/DMs. I know my group would probably laugh at me if I asked them to each chip in $50-100 for a projector.

I realize Steel_Wind is in love with the idea, but it's still not "all that and a bag of chips". Some day maybe, but not today...

*That's it Ogrok!!* Send me an e-mail to steelwind@dladventures.com and we can schedule a time for you to come over to one of our sessions to see our setup.

Bring thy ketchup - it will help the crow go down easier :)

Remove ads