That was a close victory, indeed!

Thanee

First Post
Last session we had a really close battle.

With only 2 PCs (Paladin and Sorceress, both 2nd level) we infiltrated a castle, which turned out to having been overtaken by some vile Cleric (a former Pelor Cleric who had turned evil, good thing he still had some healing potions stored away in his old room, otherwise we wouldn't even had come that far) and all inhabitants had been turned into zombie-like creatures (a spreading disease, which we were investigating at that point (and still are, actually)).

At some point we found four drunken and still human guards, the only non-"zombies" in the castle, other than the Cleric himself, and after using up all my 1st level spells with Charm Person, I managed to "take over" two of them (yeah, the DM made 3 out of 5 saves at 18+ (actual needed roll on the d20, because of their negative Will saves) *grrrr* ;)), but anyways, that was enough support to convince the rest via our great diplomatic skills to help us slay the Cleric and free the castle from his vile influence, as they would surely just end up as "zombies", too, once he had no use for them anymore (he hired them to keep out any curious visitors and to make the castle look "normal").

So, with four 2nd level Fighters (who were one-on-one more able than the "zombies"), two of them loyal through my spells and the other two willing enough to side with us, we thought we were more than prepared to fight our way upstairs, through a room with four "zombies" and another two of them plus the Cleric (we had to charge into the first room and immediately block a door to the guards chamber to cut off their reserves, which luckily worked fine).

Anyways, the battle did not go very well (must have been the booze they had been drinking earlier, because 80% of their attack rolls happened to fall into the low single-digit range) and we lost two of our "friends" in the initial fight, and were already seriously hurt, when we had to face the other two "zombies" with the Cleric (3rd level), who was fully buffed with like 5 spells, because it took us so much longer than intended to get to him.

The Paladin went down at some point (* see post #7 below) and we did manage to defeat the last two "zombies" at the loss of another guard; with my Sorceress I made liberate use of the Daze spell against the Cleric, who even failed two saves out of the 5 he had to pass, which was certainly very important for the outcome.

In the end, the last guard and my Sorceress were flanking the Cleric and desperately trying to hit in melee, while taking some serious punishment (I had no 1st level slots left for my Ray of Enfeeblement, because of the guards' overly good save rolls (see above) :\) and when he finally went down (from my dagger strike :p), I told the last guard to get the Paladin's healer kit and try to stabilize.

The Paladin was successfully stabilized (at -9 hit points, no less) with an exact 15 (including the +2 from the kit) and we both were at 1 hit point precisely.

Phew, that was a close call! :D

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

DonAdam

Explorer
You should have posted something before the session, because one should never miss out on an opportunity to say "Have fun storming the castle!"

Thanee

First Post
the Jester said:
You know things are rough when the sorcerer's in melee.

There's actually more to this, than you might think...

First of all, I had thought about playing a fighter-type first (maybe a combination -> Eldritch Knight), but then settled with pure Sorcerer, since it fit better with the background (we are playing the children of our former 19th level characters and both parents have a high magical background). And it's not that I don't like playing Sorcerers. :D

Then in the first session, we fought against some Wizard who was also involved with all that disease stuff, and all my spells failed (missed or saved), then I rushed into melee and immediately crit'ed for almost max damage and dropped him with my puny dagger. :p

I *really* was meant to be a fighter, I guess. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
KB9JMQ said:
Bet you were pretty nervous when the Paladin went down.

Ah, forgot another little detail...

The Paladin saved up the one, single, mighty Smite for the Cleric the whole evening, and it was just after the last "zombie" dropped, that the Cleric made a step towards the Paladin and... well, I guess you know already when the Paladin dropped unconscious. :eek:

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
shilsen said:
Sounds like a fun session. So what's the plan, now that you own a castle :)?

We do not really own it, but I suppose someone will be quite happy to hear of our accomplishment. :D

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
DonAdam said:
You should have posted something before the session, because one should never miss out on an opportunity to say "Have fun storming the castle!"

Well, I would have had to post something during the session in that case. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases