Evil wizard casting Protection from Evil on himself

Quinnman

First Post
Is this ok rules-wise?

A simple question and I apologize if it´s been answered before...

It seems wrong to me, but I can´t find anything preventing it in the rules...!?

thanx! :)

Daesumnor

First Post
He obviously gets blown apart, and the rift in logic causes a black hole to open up.

Seriously though, wouldn't it just protect him from *other* evil creatures?

FireLance

Legend
Hypersmurf said:
It's just fine. An evil cleric couldn't do it, though.

-Hyp.
Except in the Eberron Campaign Setting, where the setting-specific rules override the general alignment restrictions on clerical spellcasting.

Quinnman

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
It's just fine. An evil cleric couldn't do it, though.

-Hyp.

Ok... thats kinda logic, since the wizard decides himself which spells he can cast, while the cleric recieves his spells from his deity...
Do you think it should count as a "good" act to cast a [good] spell... so if the char casts PfE before every encounter, eventually he will shift his alignment closer to good...?

Thanee

First Post
Quinnman said:
Is this ok rules-wise?

Yes.

It seems wrong to me, ...

It doesn't seem wrong to me at all.

As an Evil Wizard, there is nothing you have to fear more than... Paladins other Evil Wizards!!!

No, seriously, I'd wonder why the EW learned it in the first place, as PfG is probably more useful, but PfE does help quite a bit, and it's not uncommon that evil fights against evil.

I'd find it more odd to see a good-aligned character with PfG.

Bye
Thanee

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Quinnman said:
Ok... thats kinda logic, since the wizard decides himself which spells he can cast, while the cleric recieves his spells from his deity...
Do you think it should count as a "good" act to cast a [good] spell... so if the char casts PfE before every encounter, eventually he will shift his alignment closer to good...?

You know, I'm so sure I saw it stated somewhere in 3E. I spent hours looking through DotF, the DMG, etc, for a passage I was convinced I'd seen.

But I've never found it again, so I can't point you at a rule anywhere that agrees that casting a [good] spell is a good act.

One thing that's occasionally pointed out (by Thanee usually, from memory) is that calling devils and demons makes use of a Magic Circle vs Evil spell... and so an Evil conjurer must frequently cast a [Good] spell to further his nefarious ends.

Edit - Oh, and there Thanee is now! :)

-Hyp.

Thanee

First Post
Oh, and for the record, my good-aligned Sorceress calls good-aligned outsiders with a Magic Circle against Evil in place.

Sure, it doesn't trap them or hinder them in any way, but that is not really the intention, anyways. :D

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads