D&D 3E/3.5 Knightfall's "Codex of Madness" Templated Aberrations Thread (Updated: May 19/05)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The name is a homage to both names that Lords of Madness once had. I still don't have that book, but once I do then look out!

This thread is for posting "templated" creations that use an "Aberration" as the base creature or "templates" a base creature in such a way that it becomes an "Aberration". Also, make sure you list the base creature and any templates used.

Other than that, there are no rules! You all know that when it comes to templates, I totally disregard what the template says you can and can't apply it to. I'm a strange one, in that way.

Here's the list of Aberrations from D&D Monster Manual v.3.5. Like the humanoids thread, I will create one templated creature per MM entry. (After that, who knows?)

Aboleth (added Umbral Creature template)
Athach (added Corrupted Creature template)
Beholders
  • Gauth (added Cold Element Creature template)
  • Beholder (added Axiomatic Creature template)
Carrion Crawler (added Paragon Creature template)
Choker (added Fiendish Creature template)
Chuul (added Draconic Creature template, plus did a unique half-dragon variant)
Cloaker (added Corpse Creature and Evolved Undead templates)
Delver
Destrachan
Drider
Ethereal Filcher
Ettercap
Gibbering Mouther
Grick
Mimic
Mind Flayer
Nagas
  • Dark Naga
  • Guardian Naga
  • Spirit Naga
  • Water Naga
Otyugh
Phasm
Rust Monster
Skum
Umber Hulk
Will-o'-wisp

I can't say how often I'll be updating this thread, as I have many other focuses right now, including an ongoing World of Kulan bi-weekly campaign, as well as five personal campaign yahoo groupd based on my different homebrewed worlds and campaigns.

However, other's can post what they like based on what's stated above. Other than that, this thread is a free for all. :D

Let the Madness begin!

Knightfall1972

Last edited:

NarlethDrider

First Post
Looking forward to seeing what creatures this thread spawns. I would love to see some abberation variations of narleths, scorpionfolk, lizardfolk, driders, ettercaps, drow, scorpions, spiders, & other such beasties that will work well in my gamma world inspired Xen'drik.

BTW, in an effort to get rid of my artistic constipation, I'll draw the beast from my wish list as well as a request from the artist---i hope to do a one-a-day abberation thread:)

So help this constipated artist out:D

Krishnath

First Post
Sorry Narleth, maybe later.

Now presenting, the Horror of Black Bog, a Half-illithid Aboleth using the optional rules from the Expanded Psionic Handbook. Comments are appreciated.

----------

The Horror of Black Bog
Half-illithid Psionic Aboleth
Huge Aberration (Aquatic, Psionic)
Hit Dice:
8d8+40 (76 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 10’ (2 squares); swim 60’’
Armor Class: 17 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +8 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+22
Attack: Tentacle +12 melee (1d8+8 plus slime)
Full Attack: 8 tentacles +12 melee (1d8+8 plus slime)
Space/Reach: 15’/10’
Special Attacks: Extract, improved grab, mind blast, psi-like abilities, slime,
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60’, mucus cloud, power resistance 18, telepathy 100’,
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +13,
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 19, Wis 21, Cha 21,
Skills: Concentration +15, Hide (cc) -2, Knowledge: Dungeoneering +15, Listen +18, Move Silently (cc) +6, Spot +18, Swim +18,
Feats: Alertness, Combat Manifestation, Iron Will,
Environment: Black Bog
Organization: Solitary (hopefully unique)
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Lawful evil
Advancement: 9-16 HD (Huge); 17-24 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: -

“What infernal realm that spawned the abomination that attacked us that day in the swamp I do not know. Oh, if we had just heeded the warnings of the locals my brother would still be alive this day, but foolish as we where, we entered the realm of this fell beast, nothing happened for hours, and then suddenly without warning its multiple tentacle lashed out at us from the murky water of the bog. My brother Janus never stood a chance against the beast, and in my fright I turned tail and ran. Perhaps I escaped so that I could write this letter to you my liege, and beseech you for assistance against this horror of the black bog. The creature is still out there waiting, I can hear it calling my name, calling, calling…”
- Lord Nathaniel Harker.

None have truly seen the horror of the black bog and still lives, the above letter was found in Lord Nathaniel Harker’s room at the Inn of the Old Oak, Lord Harker was nowhere to be found. Not much is known of the creatures’ appearance, nor its dietary preferences, save that it seems to attack any sentient creature that enters its chosen territory in the swamp. And it is our duty as the king’s royal knights to find and slay this abyssal fiend.

Combat:
The horror of black bog is assumed to utilize ambush tactics, so stay on your toes men.
Improved Grab (Ex): If the horror of black bog hits an opponent of Huge size or smaller with a tentacle attack, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it gets a hold, it attaches the tentacle to the opponent’s head. After a successful grab, the horror of black bog can try to attach its remaining tentacles with a singe successful grapple check, but the horror of black bog gets a +2 circumstance bonus for every tentacle that was attached at the beginning of the opponents turn.
Extract (Ex): If the Horror of Black Bog maintains its hold with at least four tentacles for one full round automatically extracts the opponent’s brain at the beginning of its next turn, instantly killing the victim.
Mind Blast (Ps): 1/day, 40’ cone, Will save DC 18 or become stunned for 1d4 rounds. The save DC is Intelligence-based.
Psi-like abilities: At will – disable (30’ cone, 12 HD, DC 22*), false sensory input (5 targets, DC 18*), mental disruption (20’ radius, DC 20*), mindlink (unwilling, nine targets, DC 16); 3/day – ego whip (ML 7th, 2d4, DC 19*), psionic detect thoughts, psionic dominate (any target, 24 hours, DC 22*), psionic levitate, psionic suggestion (6 targets, 13 hours, DC 17*), thought shield (power resistance 21, 3 rounds*); 1/day – psionic charm monster (DC 20), psionic modify memory (DC 19), remote viewing (DC 19), wall of ectoplasm (DC 19); Manifester level 13th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.
* Includes augmentation for the horror of black bog’s manifester level.
Slime (Ex): A blow from the horror of black bog’s tentacle can cause a terrible affliction. A creature hit by a tentacle must succeed on a DC 19 fortitude save or begin to transform over the next 1d4+1 minutes, the skin gradually becoming a clear, slimy membrane. An afflicted creature must remain moistened with cool, fresh water or take 1d12 points of damage every 10 minutes. The slime reduces the creature’s natural armor bonus by 1 (but never to less than 0). The save DC is Constitution-based.
A remove disease spell cast before the transformation is complete will restore an afflicted creature to normal. Afterward, however, only a heal or mass heal spell can reverse the affliction.
Mucus Cloud (Ex): An aboleth underwater surrounds itself with a viscous cloud of mucus roughly 1 foot thick. Any creature coming into contact with and inhaling this substance must succeed on a DC 19 Fortitude save or lose the ability to breathe air for the next 3 hours. An affected creature suffocates in 2d6 minutes if removed from the water. Renewed contact with the mucus cloud and failing another Fortitude save continues the effect for another 3 hours. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Telepathy (Su): The horror of black bog can communicate with any creature within 100’ that has a language.
Skills: An aboleth has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

----------

So what do you think?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Umbral Aboleth
Huge Undead (Augmented, Aquatic, Incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 8d12 (52 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: Fly 40 ft. (8 squares)
AC: 15 (-2 size, +3 Dex, +4 deflection), touch 15, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/—
Attack: +4 melee (2d6 Strength, incorporeal touch)
Full Attack: +4 melee (2d6 Strength, incorporeal touch)
Space/Reach: 15 ft. / 10 ft.
Special Attacks: Create spawn, enslave, psionics, slime *, strength damage
Special Qualities: Aquatic subtype, darkvision 60 ft., inescapable craving, mucus cloud *, turn resistance
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +12
Abilities: Str —, Dex 16 (+3), Con —, Int 11 (+0), Wis 19 (+4), Cha 19 (+4)
Skills: Concentration +11, Knowledge (any one) +11, Listen +15, Spot +15, Swim +0
Feats: Daunting Presence, Combat Casting, Iron Will

Environment: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, gang (3–4), or clutch (2–4 plus 2–7 shadows)
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 9–16 HD (Huge); 17–24 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment:

An umbral aboleth is a creature of living darkness that looks like an aboleth made from shadow, if you see it at all before it attacks. The creature is near invisible in dark or gloomy area, but stands out in brightly-lit areas.

This undead menace flies through the air with a swimming motion, as if it was still underwater. Its primeval fish-like traits remain obvious to those that encounter it in close quarters including three, glowing, eyelike pinpricks where its eyes use to be.

The creature attacks silently and without remorse.

An umbral aboleths speaks the languages it knew in life, which includes Aboleth, Undercommon, and Aquan.

Combat
An umbral aboleth attacks with its incorporeal touch attack. It is highly aggressive, predatory, and is quick to strike down the living, which its hates with unyielding malevolence. It only enslaves living creatures in order to make it easier for the creature to drain an opponent’s Strength score. It uses its psionics to better hide itself so it can ambush unwary foes.

Umbral aboleths seek out living aboleths to kill most often, as they hate their former kin more then anything else.

Create Spawn (Su): Any humanoid reduced to Strength 0 by an umbral aboleth dies and rises as a shadow under the control of its killer in 1d4 rounds.

Daunting Presence (Feat): An umbral aboleth may take a standard action to awe an opponent, within 30 feet, that has line of sight to it, and has an Int score. On a failed Will save (DC 18) the opponent is shaken for 10 minutes. This feat has no effect on an opponent that is already shaken.

Enslave (Su): Three times per day, an umbral aboleth can attempt to enslave any one living creature within 30 feet. The target must succeed on a DC 18 Will save or be affected as though by a dominate person spell (caster level 16th). An enslaved creature obeys the umbral aboleth's telepathic commands until freed by remove curse, and can attempt a new Will save every 24 hours to break free. The control is also broken if the umbral aboleth dies or travels more than 1 mile from its slave. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Psionics (Sp): At will—hypnotic pattern (DC 16), illusory wall (DC 18), mirage arcana (DC 19), persistent image (DC 19), programmed image (DC 20), project image (DC 21), veil (DC 20). Effective caster level 16th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Slime (Ex): A blow from an umbral aboleth's tentacle can cause a terrible affliction. A creature hit by a tentacle must succeed on a DC 14 Fortitude save or begin to transform over the next 1d4+1 minutes, the skin gradually becoming a clear, slimy membrane. An afflicted creature must remain moistened with cool, fresh water or take 1d12 points of damage every 10 minutes. The slime reduces the creature's natural armor bonus by 1 (but never to less than 0). The save DC is Constitution-based.

A remove disease spell cast before the transformation is complete will restore an afflicted creature to normal. Afterward, however, only a heal or mass heal spell can reverse the affliction. *While an umbral aboleth retains this special attack, it cannot use the ability due to its incorporeal form.

Strength Damage (Su): The touch of an umbral aboleth deals 2d6 points of Strength damage to a living foe.

Inescapable Craving: An umbral aboleth has an inescapable craving (see the Undead Metabolism section in chapter 1 of D&D Libris Mortis: The Book of Undead) for Strength, which it satisfies by using its Strength damage ability.

Mucus Cloud (Ex): An aboleth underwater surrounds itself with a viscous cloud of mucus roughly 1 foot thick. Any creature coming into contact with and inhaling this substance must succeed on a DC 14 Fortitude save or lose the ability to breathe air for the next 3 hours. An affected creature suffocates in 2d6 minutes if removed from the water. Renewed contact with the mucus cloud and failing another Fortitude save continues the effect for another 3 hours. The save DC is Constitution-based. *While an umbral aboleth retains this special quality, it cannot use the ability due to its incorporeal form.

Turn Resistance (Ex): An umbral aboleth gains +2 turn resistance.

Skills: An umbral aboleth has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Base Creature: Aboleth, changed Alertness feat to Daunting Presence feat.
Template: Umbral Creature (D&D Libris Mortis: The Book of Undead)

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Corrupted Athach
Huge Aberration
Hit Dice: 14d8+98 (161 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 35 ft. in hide armor (7 squares); base speed 50 ft.
AC: 27 (-2 size, +3 hide armor, +16 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 27
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+28
Attack: +18 melee (3d6+10, morningstar) or +18 (1d6+10 plus 7 vile, unarmed strike) or +8 ranged (2d6+10, rock)
Full Attack: +14/+9 melee (3d6+10, morningstar) and +14 melee (3d6+5, 2 morningstars) and +13 melee (3d8+5 plus poison plus 7 vile, bite); or +4 ranged (2d6+10, rock), and +4 ranged (2d6+5, 2 rocks); or +16/+11 melee (1d6+10 plus 7 vile, unarmed strike) and +16 melee (1d6+5 plus 7 vile, 2 unarmed strikes) and +16 melee (3d8+5 plus poison plus 7 vile, bite)
Space/Reach: 15 ft. / 15 ft.
Special Attacks: Disruptive attack, poison
Special Qualities: Acid immunity, damage reduction 10/magic, darkvision 60 ft., enhanced power, fast healing 7
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +9
Abilities: Str 30 (+10), Dex 11 (+0), Con 25 (+7), Int 7 (-2), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 4 (-3)
Skills: Climb +11, Jump +20, Listen +4, Spot +4
Feats: Cleave, Improved Unarmed Strike, Multiattack, Multiweapon Fighting, Power Attack

Environment: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary, gang (1 plus 3–4 athachs)
Treasure: ½ coins; double goods; standard items
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 15-28 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: +7

A corrupted athach is a horrific mockery of a standard athach. Its body is twisted and asymmetrical with mottled flesh, and malevolent reddish eyes. The creature has the ability to corrupt other creatures with its disruptive attack, which it mainly does with its bite attack.

A corrupted athach often worships a dark deity that blessed it with its corrupted form and corrupted athachs often dominates small gangs of athach, even though they aren’t as wise or charismatic. They rule such gangs by force.

A corrupted athach speaks a crude dialect of Giant.

Combat
A corrupted athach charges into melee combat, just like normal athachs, unless its opponents are out of reach, in which case it throw rocks. Athachs sometimes try to overrun armored opponents to reach unarmored opponents in back ranks.

With its first few melee attacks, a corrupted athach tends to flail about indiscriminately. After a few rounds, it concentrates on foes that have been hitting it most often and uses its bite on whoever has dealt it the most damage.

If caught unarmed a corrupted athach is still a deadly combatant, as it is able to deal full damage with its unarmed strikes plus Strength plus vile damage. (If you want to make this creature even deadlier then give it 5 to 10 levels in monk.)

Disruptive Attack (Su): A corrupted athach deals an additional 7 points of vile damage when it touches uncorrupted, living, corporeal non-outsiders.

Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 28, initial damage 1d6 Str, secondary damage 2d6 Str. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Base Creature: Athach, changed Weapon Focus (bite) feat to Improved Unarmed Strike feat, and Alertness feat to Multiattack feat.
Template: Corrupted Creature (D&D Book of Vile Darkness), modified for v.3.5

Krishnath

First Post
Nice horrors. :D

It's quite interresting actually, there are only four templates that change the base creature to aberrations so far (not counting any in Lords of Madness, as I do not have that book yet). They are:

Corrupted Creature (Book of Vile Darkness)
Gelatinous Creature (Savage Species)
Half-Illithid (Fiend Folio)
Insectile Creature (Savage Species)

So, if the base creature for this challenge thread is not an aberration, the last template added needs to be one of those. I find this kinda sad, so I created a new template based on an aberration from MM3, I'll post it later today. :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases