Some questions about using miniatures in game...

sad_genius

First Post
Hi all;

I'm about to start a new 3.5 campaign (set in Greyhawk) with a bunch of players new to the hobby (one player has played D&D and a few other games a few times) - a couple of the players have some experience with Warhammer and related games (Advanced Heroquest, that kind of thing) and they've asked whether their will be minis involved. Now, usually I tend to use counters, being a cheap skate bitch like I am. In my last game, we used minis for the PCs and counters for everything else - I kind of liked having the PCs there represented in 3D, but the discongruity with the counters bothered me a bit. So, given that a few of my players are into it (they're both art students too, so I'm hoping to inject some of their visual creativity into the whole thing) and that it seems *relatively* affordable to pick up bunches of Hobgoblins etc.. on e-bay, the net, or from Paizo, should I go for miniatures?

Questions more broadly then:

Do you think miniatures add something to play that counters don't?

Should you always strive to have the appropriate minis (i.e. no "this dire bear is a beholder"), does not having the right figure in every case spoil the fun?

Do you think miniatures are good for hooking new players to the game (bare in mind my players are in there mid twenties, 50/50 gender split)?

Any help greatly appreciated. And if any one has any reccomendations for picking up D&D minis singles in the UK, that'd be cool too ;)

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Minis can help those new to the game better visualize and understand what's happening. A drawback is that if they're trained to use minis from day 1 it will make it more difficult in the future to include them in games that don't use minis.

Another thing that is a benefit of minis is that non-gamers are more likely to understand that they're playing a game when there are figures (and a board) on the table.

Shellman

First Post
In my groups game, all the players prefer to have a miniature to represent there character. Out of all the DM's and players in our group, most of us have at least a small collection of miniatures for personal use.

Whoever is DM at the time, usually uses counters for most of the bad guys for a couple reasons. First, there are usually too many bad guys to be able to place the right miniature on the table for each one. Second, finding the right mini out of a large collection takes too much time for the DM, he usually has other game issues to concentrate on.

On a side note, I have personally bought a lot of figures, because I like to use them whenever I DM or play. I actually have a large collection at my DM's house for him to use if he wants; but he usually uses counters, so I am thinking of packing them up and bringing them home so none of them disappear/ walk away!

As a whole, use figures for the PC's and different colored counters for different bad guys! That usually works well for us.

Henrix

Explorer
If your players like minis, than I'd say yes, use minis. Encourage them to bring minis of their own to share the burden.

pogre

Legend
sad_genius said:
Questions more broadly then:

I do. I believe they add an extra visual element to the table that involve folks in the game more. You could play Warhammer with counters too, it just is not as pleasing to the eye - that's a big part of the appeal of the game to me.
sad_genius said:
Should you always strive to have the appropriate minis (i.e. no "this dire bear is a beholder"), does not having the right figure in every case spoil the fun?

I do. However, I substitute on a regular basis - I also have some plain basis to use for mounts or other substitutes. If I throw a character figure on a bigger empty base that represents that they are riding a mount. I don't paint a miniature off the mount and on, etc.
sad_genius said:
Do you think miniatures are good for hooking new players to the game (bare in mind my players are in there mid twenties, 50/50 gender split)?
Absolutely! Take a non-gamer through a gaming convention hall and watch where they pause to check things out. It will be at the visually appealing games.

You do have some advantages in being from the UK. A number of reasonable painting services are around there.

JoeGKushner

First Post
sad_genius said:

Yes. I love counters and have many of the Fiery Dragon counters and others, but the 3-D effect of having a minature makes it easier to see and relate to.

sad_genius said:

There is a certain 'cool' factor in having the right mini but due to the sheer number of creatures in D&D, the random packaging of the minis (Piazo selling the Beholder for $30 bones? Bite me.) and other factors like cost of larger monster minis, I've used everything from dice and paper cups to represent minis. Don't be afraid to use things like Mage Knight or even McFarline's Dragons when appropriate. Often it'll be cheaper.

sad_genius said:

If they see you playing you mean? Maybe but I wouldn't count on it.

der_kluge

Adventurer
You know, I'd never thought about it, but it seems to me that painting miniatures and selling them on eBay is a perfectly viable (and potentially) lucrative profession. I'm sure there are people that do that for a living out there.

But back on topic, yes, I love miniatures, and I feel like they add a lot more depth to the game, and help with combat (especially in d20), with flank attacks, attacks of opportunity, and all the other stuff. It's really crucial. I don't know how people manage it otherwise.

sad_genius

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
If they see you playing you mean? Maybe but I wouldn't count on it.

What I really mean is, do you think it'll be instrumental in making them enjoy the experience and want to play again (assuming the GMing is good, which it will be :uhoh: )?

JoeGKushner

First Post
sad_genius said:
What I really mean is, do you think it'll be instrumental in making them enjoy the experience and want to play again (assuming the GMing is good, which it will be :uhoh: )?

In that case, no, they're props. They're nice to look at and make things simplier in combat but they are in no way shape or form instrumental in game enjoyment. Well, in my experience at least.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases