Willowhaunt’s City of the Spider Queen:

This is how it looks so far...

Isida Kep’Tukari - Divine Techsmith
Ankh-Morpok Guard - Sorcerer?
ValenarJaelrida - Caster/Thug Hybrid
Ferrix- Elf ranger using Races of the Wild substitution levels
Jdvn1 - Wizard?
Deadestdai - Bardy the gnome

Welcome! You're in, just go ahead and send me character sheets as soon as you have completed them, so we can get started as soon as possible. After reading all the way through the adventure, I'd have to agree with all who have said that this will be a long haul...it's looking like it, as would be expected from an adventure meant to take PCs from 10th to 18th level.

Original Post:
Greetings, I just picked up a copy of the Forgotten Realms adventure, “City of the Spider Queen,” and I’m itching to give it a try. (Don’t worry, I’ve already read through it, I’m not gonna be running it blind!). I’m willing to run up to six 10th level characters through the adventure. It’s a bit hack n’s slashy, from what I’ve seen so far, though there are several encounters throughout that can be talked out of, with the middle section of the adventure having many encounters that can and should be solved by diplomatic means, and I’ll be tweaking the advneture slightly if I feel it has too much hack, so don’t leave the Bard at home!

The adventure itself deals with a group of adventurers (yes, that’s you) investigating a series of Drow raids on the town of Daggerdale. What you find shall lead you on an extended trip into the Underdark as you slowly uncover a much more sinister threat to much more than just one town. Expect to progress as high as 18th level before the quest is completed. (…and this may be projecting too far into the future, but if everyone wants to continue playing after the City of the Spider Queen is defeated, I’m all for that, too. It‘ll be the first time I would be running epic level, so it‘ll be a new challenge for me, too)

As far as character creation goes, I’ll allow any character created from the PHB, The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, The Dungeon Master’s Guide (Leadership is allowed, but only Cohorts- you don‘t want to bring your first level followers into the Underdark if you care at all about their lives!), Races of Faerun, and the Player’s Guide to Faerun without any special restrictions. I’m willing to allow most of the other FR books as long as you have a decent explanation in your character’s background. As far as the non-FR option books, such as the “Complete…” class books, the “Races of…” books, Exalted Deeds, etc., I’m willing to allow one WOTC-made option book per character, as long as you heavily justify in your character’s background and personality each option you choose from the option book. My theory of these “extra” abilities is that the reason thses abilities are appearing in a complete book instead of the PHB or the Dungeon Master’s Guide is that they’re rare and exclusive enough to be a big deal, merely having access to one of these powers should define your character’s life and personality, as you probably had to go to great effort to seek out a teacher and go through intense training to gain any of those abilities. Try to keep your use of option books consistsent to the campaign and your background as well- A Red Wizard, a Spellguard from Silverymoon, or an Elf from Everaska would have much more of a chance of learning a power from the Complete Arcane than a Dwarf or Halfling would (but a Dwarf, coming from a militaristic and tradition-bound culture, would certainly know something from the Complete Warrior or the Complete Divine). I’m not trying to enforce to the letter the D&D racial stereotypes, but keep in mind that most stereotypes, however horrible, do have at least a slight basis in reality- most Dwarves are soldierly, and thus, while an individual Dwarf might have scholarly inclinations, it’s going to be even tougher than normal for that Dwarf to leave his homelabnd and gain magical training from the best of the best.

I’m not trying to limit anybody, though, I’ll read any ideas or suggestions you have, and chances are I’ll approve them. Think of the guidelines above as more of a request than a hard rule- a well written and original character description will probably get me to accept anything short of a 20th level in every class demi-god.

As for the rules that will stay where they are set, characters can be built with the standard point buy system, using 30 points. You can play any race that appears in the Forgotten Realms, as long as it’s level adjustment is +3 or less. I’ll also allow members of monster classes from Savage Species (but that will count as your one option book). One prestige class per character. To have membership in the exclusive organization that gives you training in a prestige class is pretty special. It’s tough to join two organizations of the caliber of the Harpers or the Red Wizards. Each character can buy up to 49,000 gp of supplies, gear, and magic items. Any money that hasn’t been spent can be converted into coins or gems. I’d go with the gems if I were you, as I’ll be enforcing the encumberance rules, and encumberance aside, it’s still probably not a good idea to walk around with a sack filled with a couple thousand platinum coins. That attracts some very larcenous “flies.” For fairness’ sake, and so that I don’t need to get into an argument about what your character “would’ve brought” please just list everything you’re taking on the mission in your inventory. Anything that’s not labeled as being somewhere else will be assumed to be in your backpack.

…and you can play any nonevil alignment.

One last thing: If you plan on commiting to this game, plan on committing to posting at least once per day (though you need not post more than that if you aren’t able to). This is a really long and epic adventure, and if we want to finish it while we’re all still interested in it, we’ve got to keep the pace up. I don’t mind if you miss a day once in a while- everybody has those days, when the computer unexpectedly dies, or your ISP decides to lose your credit card number and locks you out, etc. Just don’t get in a habit of missing days, and we’ll be in the green.

I think that covers everything. If you’re still reading after all of that (I’m sure I lost a few people after all of that rambling), make a character and join us in our quest to do battle with the City of the Spider Queen! This should be a really exciting adventure that has a pretty big scope. Come out of the Underdark alive and you’ll be among the Forgotten Realms’ greatest heroes. Hope to see you there!

-Willowhaunt

Last edited:

Well, I've tried playing in multiple CotSQ games and they never make it past the first couple of combats...so, if you'll have me, I'd love to join in.

Probably play a Water Genasi Sorcerer(despite the +1 LA and -2 Cha...) if that wouldn't be too much of a problem. I just really, really want to get at least somewhere in a CotSQ game, for once. :)

ValenarJaeldira

First Post
I've read the War of the SPider Queen novels, and I've wanted to try playing this module, but I couldn't ever find anyone to run it. There arn't any spoilers (really) from the novels (I've been told) and I am excellent at seperating CHaracter knowledge from me knowledge...I hope that isn't a problem.

There are so many interesting FR options, picking could be tough. Isida, you planning on playing a Divine Techsmith or a Arcane Techsmith? If Arcane, I'd love to play some kind of cleric (I really like the Gods of FR), if Divine, I think I'd like a thug of some description.

Ferrix

Explorer
This looks fun, never played through City of the Spider Queen so it sounds definately interesting. I'll poke around my books for some ideas. I'm thinking perhaps a straight elf ranger using the Elf Substitution levels from Races of the Wild.

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Sounds like fun! The only FR book I have is FRCS -- do I need any more? Looks like Arcane caster spot is taken, so I'm looking at a Fighter.

Mithran

First Post
I was offering to join in but as I have just noticed that you have six (I miscounted the first time) you don't need any more players.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases