• No

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • What the....???

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • I honestly never thought about it

Votes: 30 19.6%

Crothian

First Post
Perhaps an odd question, but here we go. Do you train your players? Do you reward certain types of behavior and punish other types of behavior? Is the disruptive player constantly the one in the wrost shape becasue for some reason he just gets attacked more? Are the characters that are more in line with your personal play style the ones that get just a few more cool plot points thrown their way?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Ya, I train 'em. I give out extra XP for superior 'role'-playing skills. I encourage them to think of more diplomatic solutions rather than hin' em just hack-and-slash their way through a module. If someone does something clever, I put a checkmark next to their name on a sheet of paper. At the end of the session I ask each player what they think they have learned from the game. Based on all the little things that might add up a character could end up getting 25% more xp for the session.

Django

First Post
It never occurred to me to try to train my players. As a general rule, the people I game with are friends first, gaming companions second. As such, I wouldn't presume to even -try- to adjust their behavior by any sort of reward/punishment scheme. I'd talk to them out of game if I had any issues with game play, and trust them to react accordingly. Until now, that has worked just fine.

As an aside, were I to find myself in a game run by another GM who tried this sort of tactic, I think I would take offense. This isn't -their- game, it's -our- game. I would much rather the GM speak to me out of game if they don't like the way I'm playing. It's more honest, more respectful, and, in my opinion, more effective.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
We get to play so very infrequently it doesn't matter. We just show up and try to have a good time. Sometimes some gaming actually occurs in the midst of the goofing and laughing.

Django

First Post
Hmmm ....

I am wondering if I misunderstood the question when I made my reply a few posts back there.

I object to training 'player behavior'. Good character behavior, on the other hand, is definitely something to be rewarded. EXP bonus' for good ideas are totally fair game. Making all the monsters attack a particular player's character because you feel the player is being a jerk is, in my opinion, totally unacceptable. I would expect the GM to speak to the player out of game if there is any kind of behavioral problem.

Crothian

First Post
Django said:
Hmmm ....

I am wondering if I misunderstood the question when I made my reply a few posts back there.

I object to training 'player behavior'. Good character behavior, on the other hand, is definitely something to be rewarded. EXP bonus' for good ideas are totally fair game. Making all the monsters attack a particular player's character because you feel the player is being a jerk is, in my opinion, totally unacceptable. I would expect the GM to speak to the player out of game if there is any kind of behavioral problem.

When training one can use positive or negative reenforcement. Both work to one degree or another, and they doi not have to be done together. I was just using some basic examples to explain what I was talking about. THere are obviously many different ways to train people.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I use positive reinforcements for my main group and both sorts of reinforcements when teaching young gamers how to play (sometimes there's no way to get little kids to quiet down except the threat of an XP penalty).

MonsterMash

First Post
With the group I gm we've all been playing for years so I wouldn't think of it as training as such, but I will reward RP with XP.

I was going to be facetious and say with a chair and whip like liontamers!

Remove ads