Non-nature fey

DMH

First Post
Since fey are defined as

"A fey is a creature with supernatural abilities and connections to nature or to some other force or place."

has anyone used the type to created fey that are not connected to nature?

And as a tangent, for those who have turned goblins and such into fey, what force or place are they connected to?

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Goblins in my old home-brew are earth fey.

I also used to have a bunch of other fey critters because I was uncomfortable with adding new elementals. I love ideas such as War Elementals, Murder Elementals, Hope Elementals and so on... but decided to go with fey.

So I have fey of violence, murder, war, hope, ugliness, rage, love...

Wombat

First Post
Well, there are fey like Church Grims that live entirely in urban environments (indeed, within churches and the sound of bells) and have nothing at all to do with nature.

My feeling is that fey are highly adaptable creatures and will fit to any given environ, given the right time and need.

VirgilCaine

First Post
There's some energy fey on the WotC website, but you could also have alignment fey also, as well as emotion fey as a previous poster described.

Stormrunner

Explorer
In the comic book Vogelein, the title character is a wind-up fairy (in D&D terms she'd be a sprite with the Clockwork Creature template from Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary), who must be wound every 48 hours - but is unable to reach her own key-socket (between her shoulderblades) and so must beg help from mortals.

And of course, there are gremlins, the archetypical techno-fey, wreaking havoc on machinery everywhere.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
In one of my homebrews I had 'Brick Trolls', Large Fey creatures who look after the walls of buildings (the Bridge Troll is a similar option of course)

Their are fey who are associated with Farm Yards (and can either help the farmer or sourr his milk and break the eggs). There is also the dreaded goblin renown for cobbling shoes!

Hobs and Lobs imc are fey halflings associated with urban trades including mining, tanning, carpentry and tinkering (as are gremlins of course)

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Gremlins, the Old Man of the Swamp, trapperkin, and Gristle & Flay from the Monsternomicon.

The Old Man of the Swamp is a greed fey, trapperkin are hideous goblin-things that torture little kids to death and leave their parents a doll with a gem inside for payment, and Gristle & Flay are evil, murdering fey brothers; one's an animated skin, one's the viscera and muscle.

In my siblings campaign, goblins are earth fey. The PCs traded a bunch of dragon meat and hide they'd just gotten off a dragon they killed to a goblin-king in exchange for the service of his smiths.

VirgilCaine

First Post
John Q. Mayhem said:
The Old Man of the Swamp is a greed fey

Charlie Daniels said:
The Legend of Wooley Swamp[/i]]
The old man lived in the Wooley Swamp way back in Booger Woods.
He never did do a lot of harm in the world,
But he never did do no good
People didn't think too much of him
They all thought he acted funny
The old man didn't care about people anyway
All he cared about was his money.
He'd stuff it all down in mason jars
And he'd bury it all around
And on certain nights
If the moon was right
H e'd dig it up out of the ground.
He'd pour it all out on the floor of his shack