Chicago Gameday XI is 7/9: Planning thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzz

Adventurer
Don't know what Chicago Gameday is? Read the handy FAQ.

Ah, once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more...

The time has come to start planning Chicago Gameday XI. As usual, the muy exellante Games Plus will be hosting the event, and thalmin is checking into suitable dates. We seem to be looking at the latter half of June, the 18th or 25th likely. Post your date preferences here and let us know if you're interested in running an event.

REMINDER: Please do not offer to run anything unless you are sure that you can attend. This may precelude some of you form commiting to an event immeidately, but better safe than sorry.

The Current Roster of Events

Morning slot:
  • "The Reaver's Dance", Serenity: the Official RPG (FCWesel, private room)
  • "Carnival of Evil", Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd ed. (Reidzilla, table by doors)
  • GAMEDAY DOUBLE FEATURE: "Romiet & Juleo": Skull & Bones d20, and "Order 66": Star Wars d20 (Pbartender)
  • GAMEDAY DOUBLE FEATURE: "Land of the Lost Heroes": M&M, and "It's the End of the World As We Know It Pretty Much Period...": Buffy/Angel Unisystem (Ninjacat)
  • Minis Painting Seminar (Digital M@)
  • "The Problem with Kids Today", Call of Cthulhu BRP (Quickbeam)

Afternoon slot:
  • "Nine Lives", Cat by John Wick (FCWesel)
  • "Dark Champions: The Animated Series", HERO (Buzz)
  • "Codex from the Crypt", D&D/d20 (Mark, private room)
  • "Random Adventure Super Happy Fun Time!!!", Castles & Crusades (Reidzilla)
  • Minis Painting Seminar (Digital M@)
  • "Runeskull Island", D&D 3.5/Arcana Evolved (Jaws)

So, here's the basic info:

The morning slot begins at 9:30am. The afternoon slot begins at 4:00pm. Each slot has six tables to fill (i.e., six events per slot). Each table typically seats six players and one GM. If you are running a game in the morning slot, please try to arrive early so you can settle in at your table and be available to help your players find you.

By default, players sign up for events on a first-come, first-serve basis, and do not require GM approval in order to join. If you would like to require GM approval for your event, please state so.

GMs are allowed to withdraw their event from the schedule up until one week before the gameday date. At that point, the schedule is fixed in stone, and you agree to show up ready to run your event regardless of how many players have signed up for it. Don't worry, we usually end up with enough walk-ins to fill the events, particularly in the afternoon slot.

You are welcome to offer any kind of event you wish, not just D&D and d20 RPGs. Other RPG systems, minis games, card games, painting seminars... it's all good.

If you would like to reserve a particular table (say, the private room or the minis tables), please indicate that in your event proposal. These reservations are first-come, first-serve.

Prizes
I'll be soliciting publishers for prize donations once we've settled on a date. You are more than welcome to donate your own, or, if you have an "in" with a publisher, to solicit prizes from them. Please be courteous and patient if doing so.

Player Sign-Up
A separate thread will be created in which players can sign up for events. Once it goes live, a link will be posted here. This thread is solely for planning.

This post will be kept updated as more aspects are nailed down.

Last edited:

buzz

Adventurer
Two things:

1. I'm pretty sure that I'll running at least one event, most likely a HERO System adventure using the upcoming Dark Champions: The Animated Series supplement. I'll go ahead and reserve a morning slot for that.

2. I'd like to give the event GMs first crack at the prize selection; sort of a small reward for their efforts. Is this a problem for anyone?

Pbartender

First Post
You know, I was just thinking yesterday, "It's just about time to start planning for the next Game Day." Sure enough...

buzz said:
We seem to be looking at the latter half of June, the 18th or 25th likely. Post your date preferences here and let us know if you're interested in running an event.

Personally, unless something changes before then...

June 18th == Good.
June 25th == Bad.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Either date is fine by me. I will GM the second slot, private room please, 6 players, might run late so be ready to stay long, please. d20/D&D game, description to follow.

Slot one yet to be determined...might play, might paint.

Thanks! :)

buzz

Adventurer
Looking like the 25th would be best for me, though the other date is not out of the question.

FCWesel

First Post
For Me...

June 18th ~ Great! Brilliant! Capital idea, Buzz!
June 25th ~ Booo! Bad, Buzz, bad!

I will be running at least 1 game if not 2 this Game Day, like the ones I have attended before. One will be d20 and one will not.

d20 Possibilities: Iron Kingdoms, SG1, D&D, d20 Past/Modern/Future.
Non-d20 Possibilities: Buffy/Angel, Terra Primate, 7th Sea, L5R, d6 Star Wars

FCWesel

First Post
buzz said:
2. I'd like to give the event GMs first crack at the prize selection; sort of a small reward for their efforts. Is this a problem for anyone?

In regards to #2. I think that's a capital idea. (And not just because I happen to judge each Game Day ;). Seriously, I think all GMs should get a little bonus.)

rowport

First Post
I am still a bit daunted by the idea of running a game myself, but am all for encouraging braver folks than I to do so! I like the first dibs = GMs idea a lot.

I have no preference on dates.

(Is the Dark Champions module going to be a test run for your GenCon gig, Buzz?)

FCWesel

First Post
Okay...I thought about it...my two events are to be...

This will be a morning game. I would like to call the private room for the morning.

"Windy City War"
d20 Past (Modern)
Chicago. The Roaring Twenties. A city and a time of violence, corruption and diseased decadence--and that's just the surface streets. Imagine the "real" underworld. Capone has made himself a kingdom; but who might be whispering in the king's ear and what unholy violence might rock the Windy City when Scarface decides to go independent is anyone's guess. It's all about showing some "freaks" how things are done "the Chicago Way."

No experience needed. Characters provided. Come ready for fun or not at all! 4-6 players.

Afternoon Game...

"Nine Lives"
"Cat" by John Wick (A little game about little heroes.)
The small apartment building on Galahad Lane sits on old ground. Tired ground. Some say, "Used up ground." Once upon a time terrible things did happen there. And that old ground, it remembers. And it needs. To the tenants of the small apartment building on Galahad Lane the place is just quirky or eccentirc...perhaps a bit this side of queer. To the Cats it's more. It's a war. That used up ground wants nine lives, and not from some measly felines.

No experience needed. Characters provided. Come ready for fun or not at all! (This system uses light mechanics at best and is all about the roleplaying, so I am looking for a bit more mature players for this. Please ask questions if you have any.) 4-6 players.

It's only fair that someone else use the private room, but I am more then willing to use it if possible (no one else wants to use it to RP) ;).

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads