Regarding Initiative

darkelfo

First Post
The "roll once, then everyone takes their turns" approach to initiative has clearly streamlined combat in 3x DnD. That is a good thing.

I do lament that initiative does not take weapon/casting speed into account, however. Even under 2nd Ed DnD we rarely used that rule because the math was crazy and we were still rolling for initiative every round.

If there was an extremely streamlined way of doing it -- perhaps through electronics? -- it certainly would be cool if a dagger could strike before the two handed ax was swung.

Alas, barring the use of technology, such a system would bog down already slow combat.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
There are computer games which do take this into account, and some other roleplaying games that take the speed of the character into account. I'm not sure why this is in Rules, though. Maybe you want General?

darkelfo

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
There are computer games which do take this into account, and some other roleplaying games that take the speed of the character into account. I'm not sure why this is in Rules, though. Maybe you want General?

I'm new to the forums. Not familiar with the classifications. Isn't this a discussion about the rules?

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Back in 1E and 2E we took into account weapon speed and armor. But actions were declared before initiative was rolled. This was a modification of an initiative system from Dragon Magazine #26 or so. I now prefer the free flow of action with the regular initiative of 3E.

darkelfo

First Post
moritheil said:
I think it belongs in House Rules.

Let the meta-rules discussion begin!

Count me out. I was hoping to discuss the initiative rules, not propose house rules, and certainly not engage in a forum debate, though I'll defer to the moderators on this point should the thread warrant moving.

darkelfo

First Post
thalmin said:
Back in 1E and 2E we took into account weapon speed and armor. But actions were declared before initiative was rolled. I now prefer the free flow of action with the regular initiative of 3E.

Yeah, the declared actions really stank. I like the free flow too. I guess that militates against weapon/caster/armor modifiers because you would necessarily have to declare the action.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
darkelfo said:
I do lament that initiative does not take weapon/casting speed into account, however. Even under 2nd Ed DnD we rarely used that rule because the math was crazy and we were still rolling for initiative every round.

If there was an extremely streamlined way of doing it -- perhaps through electronics? -- it certainly would be cool if a dagger could strike before the two handed ax was swung.

Alas, barring the use of technology, such a system would bog down already slow combat.
Well, it seems like you're wanting a system which doesn't exist in the rules. That you may want to discuss ways to incorporate weapon/casting speeds into the game.

The Rules forum is mostly for people with questions about the rules are wanting to discuss how rules are vague, etc. General is talking about the game, and possibly other games, in general.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases