Battle Scoreboard

ugulu

First Post
gith-Ugulu-san (though having been taken to school and still in the infirmary) croaks "go I2K".
(General Ugulu on the other hand agrees that these combats are meaningless and that Lawful Evil should just be declared the winner and all should bow down before him). ;-)

As for Ao_Ugulu, the overmind - my enjoyment is the mindless arena battles that can pit creatures that would never meet otherwise, and learning a bit about all of them in the process. It's not the destination, it's the journey...how's that for deep?

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Infiniti2000 said:
I don't mean to get on your case about this, GuardianLurker, but I really disagree with you. I for one don't care which alignment wins overall nor do I plan to make little marks in my books to modify individual creature's challenge ratings by one or two.
Never said you had to. On a tactical level I think Gansk has done a very good job of supporting both our viewpoints, which is one reason why I reacted so strongly to the strategic mismatch.

The only thing that interests me here are how the battles themselves are carried out. I'm doing my best to make them interesting and fun to read, and ugulu's combats are a blast as well. I've tried to convince friends of mine to read these threads and their reaction probably explains the low interest we are having here (we barely have enough to cover the alignments, with Gansk still tackling the whole N). They don't want to read the combats like they were chess matches, but interesting battles and lots of description.
Eh. I find I quickly run out of ways to accurately convey the correct tactical information, though I've certainly tried (and continue to do so). In general, and this is true for me in tabletop play as well, I find I can only get the level of detail you're describing after the round is over. Personally, I've always found the RP opportunities in combat to be rather limited. Which is one of the reasons why I pushed so hard for the Clubhouse - I was hoping there'd be a lot more IC play in there, especially IC play that wasn't directly related to the running of the game.

I think having the ulterior motive of an analytical evaluation of the monsters and determining valid metrics for comparisons of the challenge ratings is fine. The primary purpose, however, as with D&D, should be to have fun and make it enjoyable for readers.
As is rather obvious, I invert those, but I don't have a problem with your stance - they're not mutually incompatible. It sounds like you're shooting for something closer to the story-hour model; I know lots of people enjoy them, but I've never really understood the draw myself. As for readership draw, I came here from Monte's boards, even though I've been on ENWorld for a long time. Another comparison would be fight clubs, and I have no idea how this compares to those.

So, when you say that the entirety of the low-level combats are meaningless, I not only disagree (okay, some of them are, but not all), but I also feel offended that you think our efforts are wasted.
I didn't particularly enjoy that feeling either; it's one of the reasons I jumped so high and came down so hard. As for being wasted effort, it all depends on how you approach the issue - from a pure roleplaying aspect, it's absolutely immaterial what the trophy is or how its awarded. It's the journey, not the destination, that matters. Unhappily for me, I'm unable to approach this situation from a pure RP perspective. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate that you might be able to.

So, please, I urge you to reconsider your attitude on the overall exercise and I hope that the lurkers read this and remain interested and hopefully encourage themselves and others to participate.

:D
Hey, I haven't stopped, or given up, yet. I'm still enjoying the process. Despite being at -6... bleh. :lol:

As for the lurkers - I hope more of them will de-lurk in the clubhouse and make it a happening place, it's intended to support and encourage a complete side ecology. After all, how many places will give you the opportunity to hear Tiamat singing 5-part drunken filk, or watch Bahamut place side bets with the arch-modron Primus? Those haven't happened yet, but I tried to create a place where they could - a place similar to the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, and the Draco Tavern, all rolled up into one, D&D style. A place where people can post and participate in the Battle of All Alignments without having to make any comittment at all.

So c'mon on in folks. Despite all my yappin', it's still fun, and it'll be more fun the more of us there are.

Last edited:

ugulu

First Post
OK...can some type (more slowly this time) an explanation of the +/- column a little slower for me? Not sure what it's trying to get across.

Gansk

Explorer
ugulu said:
OK...can some type (more slowly this time) an explanation of the +/- column a little slower for me? Not sure what it's trying to get across.

OK, you see how in the announcements I say which alignment decides to go to a higher CR monster first?

If you have a '+' number, you have the lead. Neutral needs to kill that many monsters to force your alignment to use a higher CR monster first.

If you have a '-' number, you are behind. Your alignment needs to kill that many monsters to force Neutral to use a higher CR monster first.

ugulu

First Post
Ahh...a roundabout way of 'splaining why LE is getting it's a** kicked. Cause hey...it's not the leadership...

Infiniti2000

First Post
Hmm...I was thinking about this again and I'm starting to see GuardianLurker's point, but from a slightly different point of view. I think most of the fun here will be had from combats between LG and CE, CN and LN, etc. I'm not sure how to reorganize things, but I think starting with CR5 we should change them around. It will work probably not just from the battle metric point of view, but also from a roleplaying and usefulness point of view. As the monsters get into higher CR, more and more of their abilities will only be useful against their real enemies. I'd hate to see LG fight CE only at CR19 or so. Sure, that battle will be kind of fun, but the lower CR battles will be even more interesting because (1) more lurkers out there will appreciate it because a vast majority of people play lower level campaigns, (2) the battles will take more tactics rather than just firing the big guns, and (3) we can start some additional, interesting scenarios.

Maybe the cut off point is just as CR5 Neutrals are about to be introduced, then we switch. LG fights CE, CG fights LE, CN fights LN, and NG fights NE. N can (1) take a breather, (2) fight the winner of each battle in each arena (so each arena has a N interspersed), or we can drum up a three-party arena and throw the N right in there at the same time. Or, we can just say that N has done it's party and send the rest home.

Gansk

Explorer
Infiniti2000 said:
I'd hate to see LG fight CE only at CR19 or so. Sure, that battle will be kind of fun, but the lower CR battles will be even more interesting because (1) more lurkers out there will appreciate it because a vast majority of people play lower level campaigns, (2) the battles will take more tactics rather than just firing the big guns, and (3) we can start some additional, interesting scenarios.

Here's my proposal: The Tournament of Champions.

We set up another arena, called the Outland Arena, which is a neutral site for the outside alignments to fight each other in. Everybody has gone through their CR 1/2 monsters in the main battle, so now each alignment can select a "champion" from those monsters. We run a three round tournament where the diametrically opposed alignments fight each other to determine the Champion of All CR 1/2's, whose name is posted in the Hall of Fame. We repeat the process up to CR 21, where all the generals will fight each other.

If any given combat results in a draw, the alignments have to select another "champion" and a rematch ensues. The winner has to continue on with the new "champion" in the tournament. Old "champions" can not be recycled unless there is no other monster to choose from. The alignment with the least monsters to select from gets to decide who will enter the arena first.

What do you think?

Infiniti2000

First Post
I like it, too. Let me see if I follow it (and clarify it for others as well). The generals of the eight (all but Neutral) alignments pick a CR 1/2 champion. We then hold a single-elimination, bracketed tournament for that challenge rating. Something like:

LG vs CE
NG vs NE
CG vs LE
CN vs LN

The winners of the above four (given your additional conditions on draws) will then be put into a second bracket with, ideally, good fight evil or law fighting chaos if at all possible. So, if all the Goods and LN wins the first round, the second round would be LG vs CG and NG vs LN.

We then do the same thing for the final match.

But, what happens at each stage? Do the creatures get healed, etc., or do they continue the fight in their respective states? I'd think they got healed, recharged, etc. (i.e. brand new).

Gansk

Explorer
Yes, that's exactly right. They would get healed after each round.

To change things up a bit, we could also allow buff spells to be cast before fighting, and allow the monsters to buy extra equipment, let's say (CR squared) * 500 gp. So the tournament with the CR 1/2's would only get 125 gp, but the CR 20's would get 200000 gp.
The items would still have to be legal to wear/use (no custom items for claws, etc.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases