Clubhouse: The Shearing Pen

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Actually, I do have a few questions and comments.

One question that relates not just to the generals, but to any spellcasting monster - how many rounds of prep outside the arena do they receive?

Question 2 - when advancing by class, are Prestige Classes allowed? Are any forbidden?

And a comment - if I understand you correctly, if I took a Fire Genasi and advanced him to 20th level as a wizard, he receives no equipment, despite the fact that a character's wealth/equipment is part of their CR. This essentially means that "by class" advancement is forbidden, as such "generals" will be dramatically underpowered for their CR. In some cases (such as a human Fighter 20), they will be completely unable to harm their opponents. Wouldn't it just be easier to forbid all monsters with only "by class" advancement from being generals?

Infiniti2000

First Post
Remember that the base monster CR must be 18, so you can't have a human fighter 20 or a fire genasi wizard 20. It should not be an exercise in min-maxing character classes.

Gansk

Explorer
GuardianLurker said:
Actually, I do have a few questions and comments.

One question that relates not just to the generals, but to any spellcasting monster - how many rounds of prep outside the arena do they receive?

Question 2 - when advancing by class, are Prestige Classes allowed? Are any forbidden?

And a comment - if I understand you correctly, if I took a Fire Genasi and advanced him to 20th level as a wizard, he receives no equipment, despite the fact that a character's wealth/equipment is part of their CR. This essentially means that "by class" advancement is forbidden, as such "generals" will be dramatically underpowered for their CR. In some cases (such as a human Fighter 20), they will be completely unable to harm their opponents. Wouldn't it just be easier to forbid all monsters with only "by class" advancement from being generals?

Answer to question one: Spellcasting monsters get zero rounds of prep outside the arena. The best a monster can do is ready equipment outside of an arena, but it must use the equipment and/or cast spells only inside the arena. You must find creative ways to buy time for the monster or come in with full offense and no defense.

Answer to question two: Prestige Classes that are detailed in the DMG and the other books listed in the Rules for the Battle of All Alignments are allowed, but subject to my review. The exceptions are Prestige Classes unique to a campaign setting such as FR or Eberron. The base monster must legally qualify for the Prestige Class using the skills and feats listed in the monster's stat block.

Answer to question three: The example provided is based on a false assumption. The average Fire Genasi would be a 1st level warrior, which is not CR 18. You must use a monster that is at least CR 18 as the basis for your advancement.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Okay, I've chosen the CN General.

Oh wait, is CR 42 too high? :D

As a comment, the general should be based on alignment of "always" or "usually" but not based on tendencies, right? Additionally, can the General be unique?

Gansk

Explorer
Infiniti2000 said:
Okay, I've chosen the CN General.

Oh wait, is CR 42 too high? :D

As a comment, the general should be based on alignment of "always" or "usually" but not based on tendencies, right? Additionally, can the General be unique?

I will allow a "sometimes" or something to that effect, as long as the alignment is specified in the base monster's stat block. No unique monsters.

Infiniti2000

First Post
So, it's possible for two monsters of the same type to be the generals for two alignments. For example, a titan could be CN, CE, or CG. But, anyway I'm just glad neutral doesn't get a Tarrasque. :heh:

Gansk

Explorer
Infiniti2000 said:
So, it's possible for two monsters of the same type to be the generals for two alignments. For example, a titan could be CN, CE, or CG. But, anyway I'm just glad neutral doesn't get a Tarrasque. :heh:

Yes, it is possible for two generals to be identical, although I was trying to discourage that possibility with my default generals. I still think that the odds are low that we will have a combat between identical generals, unless a monster like the titan is so vastly superior to any of the other choices available.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Hey, since this is all lighthearted fun and we may not be the same 8/9 players by the time we get up to CR21, no objections to submissions for alignments other than what we're currently playing I hope?

Gansk

Explorer
Greybar said:
Hey, since this is all lighthearted fun and we may not be the same 8/9 players by the time we get up to CR21, no objections to submissions for alignments other than what we're currently playing I hope?

That's fine, but the player who is present when a CR 11 monster enters the battle gets final approval on his submission for his alignment.

PJSlavner

Explorer
According to the rules, a creature is not defeated if is incapacitated by an ability being damaged or drained down to zero. What if the creature that drained the ability cannot actually do any hit point damage? Would that be a draw? The reason I am asking is because the thought eater cannot do damage, but might render its opponent incapacitated.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases