Clubhouse: The Shearing Pen

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Rules lawyer hat on:
Ah - except the rules don't specify that a monster has to survive to win. In fact, they only specify when a monster loses. It's a question of priority again, or degree if you prefer.

Normal guy hat on:
Having said all of that, I'm more than willing to concede that the situation is a double-loss, and thus a draw. It just popped into my head.

I'm still curious as to the "falling critter" scenario, because as we get into the higher HDs there may come times when it's a valid tactic. 'Cause it'd be kind of cool to pull off a halfling rage jumping attack, and I can't quite remember the rules exactly.

ugulu

First Post
Howdy. Since I'm in Limbo (well, not literally, just...you know what I mean) until the LE arena gets back to a book I have, if the Hawq man is taking a break in the CG arena I'll move it ahead a few round until he reappears. However - don't want to step on any paws, so I'll wait until Gansk or P.J. give the green light. U.
[edt: oh - I'd be playing the Krenshar, in case it matters]

Last edited:

Gansk

Explorer
ugulu said:
Howdy. Since I'm in Limbo (well, not literally, just...you know what I mean) until the LE arena gets back to a book I have, if the Hawq man is taking a break in the CG arena I'll move it ahead a few round until he reappears. However - don't want to step on any paws, so I'll wait until Gansk or P.J. give the green light. U.
[edt: oh - I'd be playing the Krenshar, in case it matters]

OK, ugulu. I haven't seen HawQ around recently either, so go for it.

Gansk

Explorer
Ooc

I'm interested in introducing rules to limit the universe of choices for monsters with polymorph type abilities or spells (alter self, polymorph, & shapechange).

Here is my first draft:

Monsters that can alter self, polymorph, or shapechange are limited to the following choices:

1) Any monster of its type or subtype that also has the same alignment.
2) Any monster that it knows about due to a knowledge skill. (Propose a candidate and I will tell you if the monster knows enough to polymorph into it.)
3) Any monster it observes fighting in the arena.

Of course, each spell also has restrictions that the monster has to observe.

Fair? Unfair? Opinions?

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Re: Polymorph/Shapechange

Sounds good to me. I see the BoAA being about simplicity in a lot of ways, that your suggested rules are simple. We also can then avoid some of the big arguments about shapechanging being too powerful etc etc.

PJSlavner

Explorer
Dragon or dragon slayer needed

OOC: Lawful Neutral needs your assistance. Someone with the Draconomicon or Expanded Psionics Handbook is needed to take one side in the soon to be epic (OK, maybe not quite epic) battle between Gemmo Crysmal and as-yet-unnamed wyrmling ethereal dragon. Be the first in TBoAA to be in the arena with a dragon! We are taking applications immediately. Don't delay, or you will miss out!

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
Ooc

Alas, it would not be prudent to bring my books to work, but when I get home, I'll help out if no one else gets to it first. (8pm or so EST).

PJSlavner

Explorer
OOC

Thank you for offering to help.
I am a house dad, so I always have my books next to my computer. My work just got more difficult, because the children are on vacation for the next two months.
If you do not mind, I would prefer that you take over the dragon, so I can continue with Gemmo.

The dragon has seven ranks in the following skills: Escape Artist; Hide; Knowledge (planes); Listen; Search; Spot.
It knows that Gemmo is an elemental (earth), has DR/bludgeoning, resistance to electricity, and immunity to fire. The dragon also knows all about elemental traits.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Monster Queries for Gansk

I'm cranking through a spreadsheet (eventually with nice charts) that does some analytical number-crunching on the CRs of the monsters. I have two questions for Gansk -

1) Which of the WotC website monsters are considered 3.5? The list doesn't differentiate.
2) I'll ship the spreadsheets to you when I'm done, but what format can you accept them in? I'm using Open Office, so it can come to you in Excel (.xls), OpenOffice (.sxw), or a ton of CSV text files.
3) I can't PM you for some reason, so if you'll send me an email, I'd appreciate it.

Now for everyone else - I'll be making the analysis into a web page when I'm done. If you want the raw (.sxw) files, email me, and I'll ship you a copy after the web page is up.

Remove ads