Clubhouse: The Shearing Pen

Gansk

Explorer
Greybar said:
Ick. I'm hoping the Neutral entry is a typo, since that means I'd have to win better than 6 out of 7 fights with neutral, and more than 2 out of 3 if I survive to face NE.

Da NG guy

That 642 number should be divided by 8, which means every outside alignment outnumbers each neutral faction in the first round. That hasn't been my observation with the lower CR's but there are some books with lots of high CR monsters which we have barely scratched the surface. I do think the higher CR monsters will have an outside alignment more often, but I'm still not sure if they match up with the hordes of elementals and para-elementals.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Ooc

There are way too many evil monsters out there, though. :)

GuardianLurker, did you account for the duplication of monsters that do not have "always" in their alignment?

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
OC

Greybar said:
Ick. I'm hoping the Neutral entry is a typo, since that means I'd have to win better than 6 out of 7 fights with neutral, and more than 2 out of 3 if I survive to face NE.

Da NG guy

yes, but having so few monsters means that you will be getting your high CR beasties earlier -
I think. of course I don't know many high CR NGs there are... the best I could find was cr 10
so erm... good luck

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Ic

Infiniti2000 said:
The crowd quiets down but the dryad, used to such attention, doesn't even blush. Then, the elf starts calling out, "Naked!" and the rest of the assembly joins in. Soon, the entire Shearing Pen is rocked by the chant, "Naked! Naked! Naked!"

The halfling nudges the dwarf, "3 to 1 she takes it off."

The dwarf takes a gulp of his ale and raises an eyebrow, "Aye, lad, yer on."

One of the gnomes leans over and whispers into the dwarf's ear - "You know that's a sucker bet. For one thing, I'm pretty sure the bouncers over there" - and the gnome points to two incredibly burly giants(?) wearing tunics saying "Mor Us Security" - "will stop her before she gets too far. I've heard of them, they worship a deity known as Eric's Grandmother. And I'm sure she doesn't approve of naked dryads. She even made the erinyes and succubi wear clothes, and you know how hard that is." The gnome pauses, and takes another sip from a tankard almost as big as himself, and still mostly full. "Shame, really."

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Infiniti2000 said:
There are way too many evil monsters out there, though. :)

GuardianLurker, did you account for the duplication of monsters that do not have "always" in their alignment?
Yep. The numbers aren't an exact match for Gansk's setup, but the alignment division should be equivalent.

And yeah, the evil monsters are more plentiful. Makes sense from a certain perspective; after all, D&D's default assumption is that the player characters are good-aligned (or at least non-evil) heroes.

As for the elementals, IIRC, they top out, CR-wise, at about 11/13.

Gansk

Explorer
GuardianLurker said:
As for the elementals, IIRC, they top out, CR-wise, at about 11/13.

When I used the words "match up", I meant in terms of sheer numbers, not power. Since I've only compiled the numbers up to CR 4, CR 11-13 is still a distant horizon to me. I was merely speculating whether 1/8 of all the neutrals will outnumber NG or not.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Ic

The dwarf's chunky belly moves up and down as he chuckles. "Aye, me gnomish friend. 'Tis a sucker's bet an' the 'alfling be the sucker 'cause 'e's the one to offer the bet. I'd suggest ye git in on it, too."

The halfling turns back around, not paying attention to the dwarf and gnome. "Eh? What're you two talking about?" He glares at the gnome. "Are you trying to convince him to stay out of it?" Then, he smiles, "Or, are you looking for some action, too?"

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
IC

"I guess it depends on how big the action is, really. I like my bets to be as big as my drinks." Sip. "Besides, it's a boring bet. Then again, a big enough pot makes any bet interesting." Sip. "I'd support my dwarf friend here - the dryad's clothes will stay on, I think - but I don't think you've got enough cash to cover."

Infiniti2000

First Post
The halfling's eyes widen in anticipation, moreso than when dealing with the dwarf. "Just how big of a pot are you thinking, then?" The halfling glances around the bank, or rather, the other customers. "I think I'll have enough to cover any bet you make."

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
The gnome twiddles his fingers, mutters a few mystic words, and summons a very large ornate coin pouch that appears in his hands. He sets in on the table with the very heavy *chink* of a very full pouch. "This'll do for starters. I don't want to pull out the heavy pouches until later in the tourney. I've found that Instant Summons helps cut down on thievery too."

Remove ads