Creepy...

cmajestic

First Post
A few years ago I ran a campaign for a few friends of mine. The campaign was a take-the-barony-back sort of a game, with one player the son of a displaced noble and the other a displaced master-of-the-hunt.

Well, son returns from wizard college to chaos and misrule and rumors of dark doings in his old home. Strange mercenaries are in town from elsewhere, travel is restricted, and people are disappearing.

The two characters are poking around and the ranger happens to notice several crows circling above the treeline a ways off. They go and investigate and stumble on a large body of mercenaries executing townsfold that they knew. There was nothing they could do and they knew it - so they watched as a friend from both of their backgrounds was murdered. This wasn't terrifically disturbing so much as it angered them. What disturbed them was when a mercenary finished their friend, knocked his gold teeth out with his mace, and nonchalantly pocketed them.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Shadowdancer said:
During one of my descriptions of a room in the in-game house, a small gecko suddenly ran across the screen of the window I was looking at and attacked a moth. This caught my attention; I was fascinated, and stopped talking in mid-description
Excuse me, for a moment, while I wipe the snot from the screen.

I laughed out loud on this one. I love it when real-life circumstances conspire to give players the ultimate D&D experience.

Wish I had some creepy stories, but I at least wanted to point out that this was one of the funniest things ever.

evilgamer13

First Post
Zombie goodness

So I'm playing in a GURPS infinite worlds game and the first world our team went to was turned out to be Gotha-20. For those who are not familure the Gotha worlds are a supclass of hell worlds that have been overrun by zombies. So as were looking threw the ruins of what is now the seattle underground in the real world and is what is left of the downtown seattle in gotha-20 we discover at least a dozen zombies locked in a cell in the sherifes office and then we go down to the watterfront and see a zombie climb out of the watter. So our squad comander shoots it in the chest with a pistol, and not only is the zombie not put down but hundreds of them get out of the watter and start chasing us. Now when I say hundreds I dont mean two or three, but closser to a thousand zombies!

Just thought id pass that along, because while one thing can be scary untold hords can be terifying, sort of what willard and the birds were tapping into.

tombshroud

Explorer
more zombie goodness...

EvilGamer13 mentioned a world overruled by zombies and a hoard of thousands of zombies. For some reason this reminded me of an old adventure I read once, I don't remember the module - I know it was 2nd edition and I think it had something to do with Vecna. It involved a series of portals and one of them led to a world overrun by ghouls. The area immediately surrounding the gate/portal had a fence around it with a single door out into the ghoul area. There was a black and white picture of a lightning streaked sky looking out through a fence with a great number of ghoulish shapes. I've always wanted to run a scenario like this.

evilgamer13

First Post
Fallen from Grace

So who has gotten good use out of supposedly upright individuals who are either corrupt or deluded operating in cahoots with unmentionable beasties? The two archetypes that spring to my mind are the Zealous priest who has been deluded by demons or other nasties and acts as though they are angelic and has thus been led down the road to unspeakable blasphemy's but is still very self righteous, and the man who cloths himself in riotousness and good works and yet is consciously evil (demon worship, serial killings, or just good old fashioned pedophilia).

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
evilgamer13 said:
So who has gotten good use out of supposedly upright individuals who are either corrupt or deluded operating in cahoots with unmentionable beasties? The two archetypes that spring to my mind are the Zealous priest who has been deluded by demons or other nasties and acts as though they are angelic and has thus been led down the road to unspeakable blasphemy's but is still very self righteous, and the man who cloths himself in riotousness and good works and yet is consciously evil (demon worship, serial killings, or just good old fashioned pedophilia).

Pedophilia? Foot fetishists are evil, eh? :) :D

Sanackranib

First Post
I ran an old dungeon module about a slithering tracker. the party is on the road in early spring a storm comes up and they need to find shelter very bady. the ranger rolled a natural 20 on his wilderness lore and determined that the way they were dressed/equiped they would all freeze to death or die of exposure unless shelter was found. they came accross a way station, which was boarded up from the inside. there were 3 fresh graves (shallow) outside. once they broke into the building they noticed crude crosses everywhere and lumps of tallow on all the tables (burned out candles) I had them rolling WILL saves every so often just to add to the overall creepyness. they also came accross a body that had been drained of blood but they couldnt find any puncture marks. (they promptly beheaded the body), they then went back out into the storm and dug up the 3 shallow graves and beheaded those bodies as well. they were hearing all kinds of thing that were making them jumpy, mostly the wind but also a large tree branch that was occasionally tapping the upstairs window. so they were sure somthing was tring to get "in". they then decided to stay up all night. I reminded them that they were all cold and tired and had been traveling in progressively worsining weather all day. so . . . I had them roll FORT saves each hour and eventully they all sucumbed to sleep. thats when the slithering tracker attacked. one PC made his hear check with a hefty penalty for being asleep and woke the others. they eventully defeated the tracker and no one died, though it came close. they all agreed that it was a very exciting encounter, and didnt realize that it was the "day's adventure" until it was over. as they were all level 1 and 2 they were "sure" they were going up aginst a
"vampire" I even let them roll knowledge and religion checks. of course since the waystations former occupants also thought they were facing a vampire said checks only added to the PC's general unease . . .

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
It just keeps coming back...

I've got another one, and I've already posted it, even. It got eaten in the Great Server Crash, so I'll tell it again.

My party's exploring this ancient haunted mansion filled with both undead and several competing parties searching for the McGuffin inside it. They battle with some demons in a ballroom filled with dancing phantoms, each still bearing the wounds of its horrible demise. As they toss around area of effect spells, phantoms caught in the area scream and disappear. As the battle is ending, the house buckles and bellows, the floor collapses, sending them hurtling towards the lower layer.

Where they land in a shallow pit. Filled with stuffed animals. Hundreds of them. Dolls, teddy bears. The party starts getting nervous. Spells are cast. Magic is not detected. Evil is. One of the PCs picks up a teddy bear, gives it an experimental squeeze.

And there's the sound of bone breaking.

And the teddy bears and dolls all stand up, their glass eyes staring blankly directly at him.

And then they pounce.

The phrase "stuffies" engenders terror to this day.

Demiurge out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases