Creepy...

tombshroud

Explorer
TheAuldGrump said:
Sometimes it is fun to have something creepy and disturbing turn out to be not much at all.

It's the little touches that can really add to the atmosphere. I once played a fighter-paladin type character whose family passed on a curse each generation. Negative energy, shadows, undead etc. tended to linger around him. If he was in an area where negative energy was used recently some 'flickers' of the effects could happen, i.e. getting sick if energy drain was used, his shadow would sometimes not being in sync w/ his movements. One of the weirder effects was any torch, flame, candle, fire's shadows always showed to be blowing away from him-no matter which way the wind was blowing (if any).

Anyone have any experiences with using small in-game happenings they used or had used against them?

Wraith Form

Explorer
Seriously, Grump, I'd love to listen in on one of your games (I don't even have to play). Just to witness the Master at work would be satisfying enough.

You always have great little tidbits to add to this thread. (As do many others!)

What part of the world are you in, Auldie?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
tadk said:
Demiurge I really like Annika, can I get a writeup of her
I never statted Annika, because a) her stats never came up in the original game and b) I was waiting to play her as a PC, but I never got a chance.

I'd always thought that PC Annika would have been a straight up human warlock - the haggishness in her veins giving her the primal power necessary for warlock. Alternatively, she could have been changed by the ordeal into a teifling, or if you don't use the warlock, she'd make a fine sorceress (especially with fiendish heritage feats from either Dragon Compendium or PHB 2).

Demiurge out.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Wraith Form said:
Seriously, Grump, I'd love to listen in on one of your games (I don't even have to play). Just to witness the Master at work would be satisfying enough.

You always have great little tidbits to add to this thread. (As do many others!)

What part of the world are you in, Auldie?
Portland, Maine U.S.A.

The game is set in the British Isles during the year 1888 at the moment, though I have a plot that I have been waiting to run (with no success yet :( ) that begins in Sarajevo during the year 1914.... Something very bad is going to begin there, with an assassin's bullet. (And did in the real world as well, possible the greatest nightmare of a war ever fought.) For some reason my players get a tad leery as I near The Great War... I somehow doubt that having Steampunk style technology will make the war any less brutal.

Currently the team is in Scotland, following a trail that began in Ireland. Mostly a red herring I am afraid, what they think is a minor plot (involving the deaths of three ribbonmen in an explosion) is the major theme. The 'Major plot' - an investigation of a haunted manor, is actually fairly static. The place is haunted, they can lay the spirit to rest, but it is not going anywhere. In time one of the other 'minor' themes may lead to some unpleasantness with the fey. (Look up the word Ouphe or Oaf....)

The Auld Grump

Rechan

Adventurer
I haven't run a Serious horror adventure yet (But I will). I have touched on it a few times however.

In my Inizii campaign, the PCs are traveling in the frozen north. Two go hunting for food, and on a lark, I say they find the opening of a mine shaft. They find a collapsed mine entrance, and sticking out of the pile of rocks is a red gem. The rogue grabs the gem and yanks. And out comes a jagged stick with the gem on the end- a broken axe haft. They uncover the pile and find a dwarven skeleton, and the other piece of the axe. They pocket the axe and gem and leave.

They tell the party about this about two days later in game, and the wizard gets huge eyes. They go back after the adventure... and find the mine shaft empty, and a drained corpse of a local barbarian buried in the snow.

That dwarven vampire hunted and hounded them down something awful. Just because they took his axe, which was a sentimental thing.

The two PCs found a woman long the road who was near death, shot full of arrows. The cleric healed her... and noticed the arrows were silver. They travel with her into town, where a traveling carnival has stopped. The cleric and wizard have a pow-wow in their room, and the cleric detects evil. They check her room; she's gone. They look out side - and see evil out there. They investigate. There's an ogre in a tent who is the strong man act. Then something in black armor attacks the carnival.

They attack, it disappears. They follow it to the "Scare House" and objects start flinging at them, mannequins come alive, the whole shebang. Finally they're attacked by the black armored fellow - and find a mannequin shaped like a Drow. The wizard gets an idea, cuts the wax on the mannequin - and finds bones. The cleric casts "SPeak with Dead". The mannequin was an elven drow hunter, and he was killed by his quarry, dipped in wax, and his soul bound to the mannequin - until the seal was broken while he was being moved. (The woman turned out to be a werewolf - but a True lycanthrope, and joined the party as their tank).

Later they found an inn with an old married couple. It was your standard Inn. They go to bed. And wake up, and the place is abandoned, molded, and shows signs of a severe fire. They find bones in the bed, and outside beneath the upper story window.

Later they faced a Blight Mage (Mage that sucks the life around him to empower his spells) and his insane druid "girlfriend". They found his journal, and I had taken the time to go into depth about his entries, show his slow descent into madness.

Rechan

Adventurer
One BBEG I wanted to use for a campaign that never took off was an interesting guy. He would become the PCs enemy when alive, and then be cursed. He was to become an intelligent skeleton with a unique ability - he could liquefy bones (using it to heal him) and crawl into the skin of his victim. So he was going to pop up periodically wearing someone else's skin, attack them with his signature weapon, and then "play dead" when he had a few hit points left, only to come back again.

In the Eberron campaign I'm running, I plan on employing some serious horror elements. The PCs are going to an abandoned colony like Roanoke, where everyone disappeared. It's in a demon-infested desert. They're going to find a Lot of Creepy Stuff (like things from this thread). Mwhaha.

Rechan

Adventurer
TheAuldGrump said:
The Master of the Shambles

Written after I read about Victorian slaughterhouses... I have used it in several games, and in none of them did the players want to have anything to do with the Master... he crept them out so much. One party just turned and ran when they saw him.

The Auld Grump
I know you reposted a link to Archives.org for this, but the Archives.org link just doesn't seem to work either. :( Do you have this anywhere else? I really want to read it.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
A little girl fishing by the riverbank. Not so creepy in itself but the adventurers were in the middle of a jungle. They had been fighting their way through the jungle for last month and suddenly there's a little girl sitting there, in the middle of a jungle, surrounded by wilderness filled with dinosaurs, owlbears and whatnot. So one of the PC:s quickly withdraws back to the bushes, other readies a dimension door and one gets his bow ready and approaches the girl. The girl freaks out seeing a big ugly man pointing her with a bow and runs of. The PC:s follow her trail and find out that less than 1000 feet away there is small village, hidden by the thick jungle.

I was a bit unfair that day and deliberatily scared the players.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Rechan said:
I know you reposted a link to Archives.org for this, but the Archives.org link just doesn't seem to work either. :( Do you have this anywhere else? I really want to read it.
Well, now that DungeonCrafter has a website again you can find it Here. :)

I have not played around much with DC3, but have used the older two versions of the program a lot.

The Auld Grump

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases