Creepy...

Nebulous

Legend
Kemrain said:
Notes given in character...

"It was during the war with Malecan, the necromancer, that I ran across something that made my blood run cold. It wasn't the crates of black bone, pulsating with the scarabs he used to pick his skeletns clean, and it wasn't the skeletal wyverns, who's screech could turn a man's bones to whipped cream.. We had come across a small village, late at night. We were on the run, from one thing or another. The town was deserted, except for the coprses strewn through the fields outside. Thank Alerum they didn't move. We searched the town, looking for any signs of life.. A plant that wasn't blackened.. A rodent hiding in the brush.. Even a crow, picking at a corpse.. There was nothing.. But that's when I heard it.. A baby crying.

Folowing my ears I dashed into a building, crashing through a door into the nursery. I quickly hurried over to the crib, thanking the gods for their mercy, that an infant might have survived this devistation... I was too quick with my praise. In the crib, reaching up to me, was an infant, split open down the middle, it's tiny ribs splayed apart and it's chest writhing with the only living thing to be found.. Maggots crawled up inside it, as it reached for me, cooing softly.

Bile in my mouth, I took my mace and... Gods.. I wanted to burn the village to the ground.. To be rid of the taint.. But the others ran into a different sort of trouble. I only hope I gave the babe its afterlife. Such innocence is not meant for this world."

- Melissa Corinth of Alerum.

Again, another excellent Midnight candidate. Minions of Shadow actually has an undead baby monster. That i think is just the creepiest thing, dead children tricking adults just to get them close enough for the kill.

Night of the Living Dead had the creepiest scene where the daughter kills her mother. And the new Dawn of the Dead's only really creepy scene (IMO) was in the beginning with a zombie girl.

Drew said:
Great thread. What IS with all the maggots, though?
There is something about maggots that just breeds creepiness. I think it's about time we had another maggot episode in my campaign, come to think of it...

I like the idea of flying aboleth's with a maggoty breath weapon. That's the stuff GM's dreams are made of... :]

monboesen

Explorer
I like the idea of flying aboleth's with a maggoty breath weapon. That's the stuff GM's dreams are made of...

And that makes you wonder how sane we DM's really are.....

Love this thread. A veritable field of ideas for reaping.

I'm thinking the most creeped out recently my players have been was when they attacked a couple of evil priest and found one of them harvesting the blood of a continually regenerating succubus. The nacked demon was hanging suspended from chains cruelly inserted into its flesh with hooks and a mechanical blade kept opening up a wound.

Xath

Moder-gator
My first DM gave me some very interesting nightmares when I started playing D&D. The BBEG had "had his way with" my Cleric's goddesss, and used that as a point of torture when he had captured her.

He also did some very interesting things with Beholders. Several offshoots that he made were pretty creepy, like an albino beholder with red eyes and some very different abilities and a beholder with mouths where all of the eyes are supposed to be. Doesn't sound particularly scary in text, but he had a way with words which made the monsters come alive at the table. (figuratively)

freebfrost

Explorer
Nebulous said:
I ran a CoC adventure where the PC's went through an old asylum looking for clues for a mysterious cult known only as Ktulu. They were sort of 1920's paranormal investigators funded by the government (i.e. start of Delta Green). The best part was that the actual pictures I used were from a real asylum: Danvers.

The pics alone were enough to set them on edge. The rotted zombies in the basement were just icing on the cake.

Wasn't this the asylum used in the movie Session 9?

Tetsubo said:
Nebulous (great nick btw) - have you seen the movie Session 9? It's set in the Danvers Asylum. It's not a bad film.

I should have kept reading before posting... :)

freebfrost

Explorer
As far as the creepiest thing I've thrown at players, hands down it was the Worm that Walks from the ELH.

I used it in a high-level one-shot adventure, and the players still have bad memories of that thing. One Engulf attack and the party was fleeing for their lives...

fafhrd

First Post
In my last campaign, the party sorceress had been possessed by a shadow demon. It was on an information gathering run for its boss and didn't intefere with the character at all, except to prohibit her from talking about its presence. It claimed that it would kill anyone who found out. It would occasionally chat with her in her head(think Harvey from Farscape, or even Dreamcatcher). It even augmented her casting ability to make the situation more trying.

The party had recently taken over the town of Ossington from the Standing Stone module in WotC's adventure path. The party cleric had taken over the ministry of the local chapel which had altars to the 12 neutral gods. The sorceress was bent out of shape over what to do and went to the temple to pray. I took the player into another room and roleplayed out the encounter. She knelt down and said a prayer to the 12 gods. When she looked up there were 12 thrones, each occupied by a shadowy figure wearing the appropriate regalia of that faith. It responded in a cascade of voices "What troubles you my child?" It went on to mock her and ask why her faith was so weak. It was a ton of fun for me, a little traumatic for her. Unfortunately she's my girlfriend so I get it all back in spades.:uhoh:

heirodule

First Post
I think I got this from CoC Dreamlands.

to get to the dreamlands, the PCs need to concoct a potion made from a particulalr mushroom. When they go to pick the mushroom, they end up pulling off the heads of a small mandrake like mannikin, who screams bloody terror and then dies.

Gothmog

First Post
Great thread! I love horror games and creepy adventures, and some great ideas have been posted. Here are a few I have used over the years.

- D&D adventure: a group of humans who were followers of a prophet that warned of a coming catastrophe had built a large underground complex to weather the coming doom. Problem was that the badness they were trying to avoid (demonic incursion) found them, and the inhabitants were attacked and butchered by beastmen and demons. Before they left, the beastmen defiled the whole complex, and draped/hung/positioned bodies in gruesome and blasphemous ways. The PCs come into this complex 400 years later, and due to the manner of their deaths, many uneasy spirits roam the area. Not spirits in a game mechanics sense, just the souls of those slain that couldn't move on. There were occasional sounds of voices, footfalls, drafts, feeling like someone watching you, and light tugs on clothing that no discernable thing had caused. When the characters got to the main living hub in the subterranean chambers, they split up to search the area, and one lady who gamed with us and played a bard went into what was formerly the school for children. While in there, she heard a small child's voice which seemed to originate near her but sounded distant say "I'm so cold". After trying to locate the voice for a couple minutes with it repeating the same sentence, she said "what do you want sweetie?" The voice said "I'm so cold, I just want to be warm". The bard knelt down in the floor and opened her arms like she was going to hug someone, and suddenly she felt a press of small cold bodies all around her, enveloping her. Next thing she knew, she was waking up and the party cleric was casting Restorations on her (she had been Str drained), but the ghostly children followed her around the rest of the time they were in the complex, and warned the bard of danger several times, saving the group from being buried in a cave-in, ambushed by a demonic presence, and even helped them locate the object they went there to find. This really freaked the rest of the group out, especially since the ghosts didn't manifest visibly. After they left the area, the ghost of one little girl stayed with the bard, and occasionally would give her advice during an adventure (always in a somewhat disturbing way), and called her "auntie Parthenia".

- D&D adventure: over the course of several adventures, the PCs heard strange noises coming from the ground, walls, floors, etc in areas they were in. Inspection of the area revealed nothing but weathered and worm-eaten material, but there was a faint magical aura when they finally decided to detect magic. Later, the group ran into a madman, who claimed that the "worms of the deep" were always listening and watching. The PCs didn't start to really put things together until later, when they ran across an old enemy that was a priest of the god of decay and death that seemed to know every detail of their plans and secrets. They later figured out that he was using some kind of small, immature wormlike creatures to spy on them, and he himself was in thrall to some kind of subterranean wormlike beasts that sought to subvert and dominate the surface dwellers (very Lovecraftian type of creature). The priest was also infecting people he kidnapped with the immature larva, and those infected were controlled by telepathic links with the maters before they were devoured from the inside out, giving rise to strange beasts that caused the environment and reality to warp and change, causing madness. Once they realized what was going on, be PCs became paranoid about finding areas the worms couldn't get to to overhear them, and were very fearful of the "masters". They finally managed to kill the priest and his spawning pit, but who or what the "masters" are they have never figured out, and remain fearful that other cells of the "Cult of the Worm" as they termed it, might be out there.

- D&D adventure: This started off as a random encounter, which I elaborated on the fly. While traveling along an old road near sundown, the party sees a light like a lantern up on a ridge. The light stays in one place for a few minutes, bobbing and weaving, and occasionally flashing on and off, before moving along the ridge. The party decides to follow the light and does so for about two miles, back into the foothills of some mountains, eventually arriving at a ruined abbey. Even before they began exploring, the paladin said "I have a really bad feeling about this place, its unclean." They explored the abbey for about 20 minutes, until the ranger found the large bell laying in the bottom of the old tower and smacked it with his warhammer. A few minutes later, crows begin to flock to the abbey by the hundreds, cawing loudly and watching the PCs. Over all the racket the birds are raising, the rogue in the group think he hears chanting, very faintly and muffled. The group decides to leave, not even having explored the 1/3 of the abbey left above ground. They make it to a roadside inn an hour or so after sundown, and after a few drinks the ranger asks the innkeeper if he knows about a ruined abbey nearby. The innkeep goes pale, and said he did, that an order of monks used to live there about 100 years ago until it was discovered they were demon-worshippers and cannibals, and would lure travelers to their abbey by having one of the monks wait on a ridge near the road and lead them back. Once the monks finished their feast, they would ring the bell and place the discarded bits of their victims in the courtyard, where flocks of hungry fiendish crows would descend to devour the remains. The order was censured and destroyed by their parent church as blasphemous, but strage tales still speak of lights on the ridge, and that the ghosts of the former monks still exist there, attempting to lure travelers back to their doom for their infernal masters. All the players at the table looked at each other with looks of fear and disgust on their faces, and the paladin's player said "I KNEW that place was just wrong." Oddly enough, he NEVER tried to detect evil there.

I have lots more, and I'll post some more later if there is continued interest in this thread.

DMH

First Post
Another thing I was going to use in a modern setting for Masque of the Red Death (which never got off the ground) was a suburban basement full of human faced grubs that pupate into humans. What was creating them, the player would never known.

Another location was an alchemist shop that used human bits for condements for the local Burger King (special special sauce). But the creepy bit was that the personality was still tied to the parts and anyone consuming any part would gain memory fragments and a competing mental fragment.

Bats twisted by a spellcaster had the ability to transmit a magical disease- one that caused the victim's skin to turn ghastly green and then melt off and leaving a "zombie" that causes fear and horror checks. The magical diseases in the Ravenloft MC III could also be used here. I love most of those, esp the crysallizing one.

I don't like or use undead in MRD- living things are much more creepy IMO. But there are always mimics that can be used in their place- oozes that motivate "zombies" (like those mentioned above).

No one mentioned plants yet. I wrote up the topiary golem for the Book of S (I think the 3rd one) and had some others in mind- shrubs that grapple and squeeze the prey to death, weeds that grow on the corpses of those who inhaled their seeds and a vine that invade the body much like that new aberration in LoM. Remember that plants are everywhere- use them and the PCs will never leave home again.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases