A Chronicle of Ice, Luck and Honour - updated 19th December

"You will never defeat me mage, my steel is feared throughout the Dales!"

Torious staggered back as more blows rained down from the Banedead claws. His skin shredded and with very little healing power left, Torious uselessly waved Justicar in front of him. The Banedead closed swiftly for the kill, and with a single claw swipe, scattered the useless sword from the priest’s hand.

Thalin shouted to warn Torious, but his words jammed in his throat as a bolt thudded into his shoulder, sprawling him sideways. Propping himself up, Thalin saw Lyle standing in the dimness behind him, his goggles glinting as he reloaded his crossbow. Without a moments thought, Thalin sprang forwards and covered the distance between them in a matter of seconds, crashing into Lyle before he could reload his weapon. Lyle shouted out as he landed, his crossbow spilling from his only hand. With a snarl of rage, he leapt at Thalin with his shortsword drawn. Thalin countered with Shard, but the ferocity of Lyle’s attack drove him back.

- - - - - - - - - -​

Milo pulled again, his small hands gripped around the hilt of the sword. Held to the wall by two unrelenting stone locks, the white-bladed sword didn’t move as the halfling pulled with all his strength. Looking back over his shoulder, Milo watched Torious sprawl backwards from the diving Banedead and stagger into the unveiled chamber.
“Torious!” shouted Milo, pointing at the sword.

Torious fell heavily against the stone wall, blood running freely from wide gashes in his chainmail shirt. As Milo jumped away from the wall to hold the Aasimar up, Torious saw the Banedead begin to shy away, their dead skin peeling away as they got closer. Milo grabbed Torious’s hands and put them around the hilt of the locked sword.

Torious's vision blurred and burnt. Looking down, his hands lay on the handle of a white sword. His strength somehow returned, Torious tested the locks once, then placing a foot firmly against the wall and ripped the sword from the stone locks in a cascade of granite shards.

With the sword in his hand, Torious turned and using the last of his power, healed himself, the deep cuts sealing up as if they were never created. Stepping slowly from the chamber, Torious walked determinedly towards the Banedead, who shriveled away from the weapon Torious now held.

- - - - - - - - - -​

“You will never defeat me mage, my steel is feared throughout the Dales”, growled Lyle as he whirled his blade around again, “Even with my one arm, you are but child’s play to my sword.”
“You have erred Lyle, this is not a sword fight.” said Thalin, Shard glancing aside Lyle's blade.

Lyle struck again, this time cutting a deep thread of blood into Thalin’s shoulder.

“Then what is this? Why are you not fighting back?” laughed Lyle as he thrust his sword at Thalin’s throat, only to hit thin air as the mage sidestepped.
“Why won’t you fight back?!?” screamed Lyle, his voice hoarse with rage.
“Because I’m concentrating,” said Thalin as the last of his arcane words were whispered and

Lyle faltered as the mage stretched his hand out towards him, then, as if in a nightmare, the worthless spirits he saw so often turned their hollow eyes to him, and leapt forwards. With a shriek of absolute horror, the ghosts touched him. Their flaking dead skin clawed at his legs and stomach with dead, black nails.

Wrenching himself away from the grasping hands, Lyle turned and ran. A terrorised scream ricocheted through the halls as Lyle saw more dead souls begin to follow him. They fell from the ceiling and rose from the floor, giving chase as he sprinted back through the mines.

Thalin quickly grabbed his crossbow and paced after Lyle, intent on stopping the murderer escape a second time.

- - - - - - - - - -​

Torious circled left as the Banedead shrank away from the white blade, their red eyes not daring to look at the weapon.

“Now!” shouted Milo as he released a luminescent green orb from his hands.

The orb streaked towards the closest of the Banedead and struck a split second before Torious landed the sword through the creatures withered skull. With a blast of white light, the Banedead fractured open, its skin and bones crashing to lifeless dust as it hit the floor. Torious shook the white blade free of the black robes and turned to the remaining Banedead.

“You’re next”, growled Torious, his eyes blazing with fury.

- - - - - - - - - -​

Lyle skidded into the main chamber, only to look in horror as dwarven souls dropped from the web above, their wasted hands scraping through his hair as they fell. Lyle backed away as dead souls crowded the entrance, standing to halt his exit. One by one, the dead souls slowed then stopped, their dead eyes watching the man as he backed away.

Thalin burst from the corridor to see Lyle backing away from something in the centre of the room. Without a word, Thalin raised his crossbow and fired. The bolt flew true, thudding heavily into Lyle’s chest and staggering him backwards. Not pausing to stop, Thalin dropped the crossbow and drew Shard.

Lyle stepped back, his sword clattering to the ground as blood trickled from the bolt lodged in his chest. A freezing pain arced through him as he tried to pull the bolt free, but his hand slipped again and again. His fingers were slick with his own blood. Tripping backwards, Lyle felt nothing under his right foot as he stepped into the gap over the rock crusher. Balancing desperately, Lyle stretched his hand out to the watching mage as he teetered slowly backwards.
“Save me!” squealed Lyle, his face contorted in fear.

Lyle’s clutching fingers wavered within his reach, but Thalin stood still, his arms unmoving, his eyes cold.

With a last convulsion, Lyle tried to right himself but fell as he did so. Shrieking in terror, the giant fingers of the trapped golem closed around him and the grinder creaked into motion with the added weight. Thalin stood, forcing himself to watch as Lyle was dragged slowly through the teeth of the cogs. Thalin shivered as the dying man screamed in agony for the last time, and then a sickening crunch ended Lyle Blackrock’s life.

Thalin watched as the cogs ran red, then turned away. Remembering his companions, Thalin pushed past his tiredness and broke into a run. The mage darted into the darkness of the corridor, unable to see the dwarven spirits as they slowly moved forward to claim Lyle’s soul.

- - - - - - - - - -​

Torious pulled the blade of Freedoms Edge, for that was its name, from the collapsed robes of the second Banedead. Dropping to his knees, Torious immediately thanked Tyr for the deliverance of such a weapon, his scars flaring with greater intensity than ever before.

Thalin joined Torious and Milo and informed them of Lyle’s demise. The three heroes looked uneasily at the two dusted bodies as Dariel swooped silently into the room, having fled from the combat after the skeletons appeared. Not wanting to stay in the mines any longer, the heroes made to leave quickly, but not before Milo insisted on gathering the gems he left last time and searching the warden’s office.

Taking no more time than necessary, Torious and Thalin packed their travel packs with gem bags, whilst discussing the reasons as to why the Banedead had been under the command of such a man as Lyle Blackrock. Milo, meanwhile, searched the office and grabbing anything he could detect as magical, stuffed it into his pockets (where Isplit began to sort through them). Thinking it better not to disturb the crushed body of Lyle, Milo caught up to his companions and guided them out of the mines, and into the dying daylight…

To be continued in…

Ice, Luck and Honour
Chapter 7: Trailblazing

The three heroes have no time to stop and rest as whilst they have been away, a maraudering force of red-robed knights have laid waste to the trading town of Darmshall and put it to the torch. Following the trail of fiery destruction, the heroes vow to put an end to the murderous plans of the man in red.

Last edited:

Cheers guys... you keep reading, posts will keep on coming. :)

I think I mentioned earlier about setting out the stats (seems like a grand time to me, as we are sitting comfortably in the tangent between two story arcs). So, here is a run down of the characters as they exit the mines - *i think*, though perhaps this is a few sessions beyond this point. ANYWAY, here they are... (for you crazy kids who dig all this stat sheet stuff)

Milo Whittersbane
Halfling Rogue 3 Sorcerer 1
Str 10, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 18
Hit Points: Not entirely sure. Roughly 20
AC: 18 (+1 size, +4 dex, +3 studded leather)
Attacks: (with Vampire) +2, (with light crossbow) +6
Saves: Fortitude +3, Reflex +7, Will +3
Feats: Stealthy, Dodge
Items of note:
Vampire, Aqualish and glove

Thalin Vorspen
Human Wizard 4
Str 12, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 10
Hit Points: Roughly 21
AC: 12 (+2 dex)
Attacks: (with masterwork scimitar, Shard) +5, (with heavy crossbow) +4
Saves: Fortitude +4, Reflex +3, Will +4
Feats: Scribe Scroll, Blooded, Martial Weapon Proficiency (Scimitar), Weapon Focus (Scimitar)
Items of note:
Erifeci, Sliverspike

Torious Mangrane
Aasimar Cleric 2 Fighter 1
Str 13, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 11
Hit Points: Roughly 27
AC: 18 (+5 scale, +1 dex, +2 large shield)
Attacks: (with Freedom’s Edge) +6, (with shortbow) +3
Saves: Fortitude +6, Reflex +1, Will +5
Feats: Martial Weapon Proficiency (Longsword), Weapon Focus (Longsword), Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot, Alertness
Items of note:
Freedom's Edge

- - - - - - - - - -​

Magic Item clarifications:

Freedom's Edge is a Longsword +2 which is a Bane bane (strange sounding I know). It's a powerful item and Torious loves it to death. It is a thick, white blade with a wide metal hilt. It also has a few other side-powers which Torious hasn't stumbled onto yet.

Vampire is a Shortsword +1 which has a modified Vampiric Touch spell cast upon it. Every time it hits, it injects the wielder with blood which heals 1d6 hps. However, because of this power, the weapon does have some rather nasty side effects... which will be revealed as the story unfolds.

Erifeci has no bonuses, but does have charges (unknown number) which can be used to cast the following (all cast at the current characters level):
Fire - Burning Hands
Ice - Freezing Grip (Shocking Grasp but cold damage)
Eci - Resist Elements [Cold]
Erif - Resist Elements [Fire]

The Aqualish is the Apparatus of Kwalish. Additions are that it can be shrunk with the use of the glove, and has two wooden pincers on the front of the vehicle. Also, the market price has been notably reduced - Milo could have gained his chicken-farming dream a little too quickly.

Sliverspike (the dagger holding the walls apart) is a +2 dagger that is utterly indestructible. No matter what, it won't break. Ever.

- - - - - - - - - -​

...There are a bunch of magic items coming up soon (some of which Milo picked up in the warden's office) and their stats will be posted as they appear. Also, if there is anything at all that I've missed just shout and I'll dig up the stats for ya...

Righto, that seems like enough info for now.

Spider J

WOW! Truly cinematic Spider! Rockin' as usual!!!

thanks, the players and I always had a really strong visual sense to the chronicle - we often began each session by talking over the events of the preceding game and what they would have looked like. This usually ended up with us all picking on Torious's character for charging in when he should have been happy with a crossbow ;) (then laughing until we realised that we did have a time limit and had better roll some dice). Then we'd try and come up with a concept for the novel cover/comics cover/film poster for that particular session.

Awww. Happy days.

Spider J

Last edited:

As I'm sure you have gathered, short interludes get crowbarred into this story from time to time (A Tale of Honour, A Tale of Luck etc) - and this next one ain't Thalin's. It's one for the man in red - his name is Robar (I couldn't quite remember whether I had dropped his name in yet, but anyway).

Robar is like a son to me. A spoilt, arrogant, power hungry and merciless son... but still all mine. Go get 'em Robar!

Spider J

Last edited:

Interlude Number Three: A Tale of Fire

The flames licked and crawled over the smooth stone of the mage tower. The brickwork above the first and second floor windows was scorched and dead. The fire caressed a sluggish embrace over the magic hardened walls.

Inside the primary study, a boiling spell book rattled open and a single white page snapped free as a billow of hot air tore past. Spiraling upwards, the paper banked and curled as the flames below sped its ascent. With a desperate twist, the page buffeted against the searing stone of the second story window then flapped forwards and escaped into the broiling dusk air. But too late, as a thunderous blast from inside the tower exploded outwards, collapsing the stone walls like a falling house of cards. With a blaze of light, the rising fireball consumed the page.

The magic of the mage tower died. Dust, smoke and fire blossomed outwards. The cinders of the fire danced and weaved slowly, curling a constellation of embers together as they blended with the flames from the surrounding houses.

A bead of sweat began to roll then stopped against the inside of the visor. Reaching his hand up, Robar pressed his gauntlet against the helm to soak the sweat into the leather padding. The droplet stayed put, and with a grunt of annoyance, he pulled his helmet off. He threw the red emblazoned helm to his squire, then Robar peeled a sweat sodden gauntlet from his hand and ran his hand through his short, dark hair. Robar let his arms fall to his sides as he resumed his fascination at the slow drift and ebb of the shimmering embers that now fell like a fatal, glowing snow.

The approach of a horse turned Robar’s attention from the flames. As the messenger knight came to a stop and saluted quickly, Robar wheeled his mighty red stallion, it's black hooves thumping against the ground in aggravation at being moved.

“Ser Robar. Noristour fled, but The Bear made sure he did not travel far,” informed the older knight, his dark red helmet slighty muffling his words.
“And so, where is he now?” asked Robar as he waved a dying ember away from his face.
“Ser. I… I left him to hunt for more survivors,” answered the knight.
“You fool. Go and order The Bear to return to the body of Noristour and burn it,” said Robar, his eyes glinting in the ember-strewn light, “his soul must feed the forge of Kossuth.”

The knight went to reply, but a scream of anguish pierced the heavy air as a half drow, wreathed in flames, burst from the doors of a smoldering building. The half drow wavered for a moment before charging wildly up the hill toward the knights. With a sickening gargle, the half drow shouted something as he saw Robar.

“Defend me!” called Robar as he fumbled to unlatch his lance.

The half drow staggered again but stayed upright, his burning hands grasping at Robar as he stumbled closer.

“DEFEND ME!” Robar shouted, his voice wavering.

The messenger guided his horse quickly between Robar and the half drow. With a swift kick, the half drow collapsed to the floor and continued to burn as the soft black silks of his clothes exploded into a flurry of flames. The knight dismounted and drew his sword.

“No! Let him burn,” growled Robar as he regained control of his mount and slowly circled back towards the squirming half drow.
“But Ser. The man is burning! You can’t let…”
“Yes. I can,”
“Ser” replied the knight stiffly, sheathing his longsword and nodding in acceptance of the orders.

The messenger mounted then quickly turned away from Robar, keen to leave the presence of the man who so many had fallen before, their souls burnt in deliverance to his fiery god. Halting at the base of the hill, the messenger glanced back and watched the red robed knight gazing at the final agonizing minutes of the smoldering figure. A drift of falling embers swirled lazily around Robar as he watched the life of the half drow crackle and boil away. Finally Robar stared up to the blazing sky above Darmshall, hoping that Kossuth would accept this burnt offering.

Spectacular stuff!

I've seen this SH poking around here and there and so thought I'd sample the most recent update. It is very well written and paced. Now that I have a small amount of time on my hands to do some reading, I'll have to go right back to the start and have a closer look.

I thought I'd post though and show some appreciation. Well done and I look forward to giving further commentary.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

[Pimp]
PS: If you enjoy a good read (which by the quality of your writing I'll assume is a yes), then stop by The Happenings of Lucifus Cray for an interesting ride. The current story arc is at its climax and hopefully worthy of your attention.
[/pimp]

Spectacular stuff!

I've seen this SH poking around here and there and so thought I'd sample the most recent update. It is very well written and paced. Now that I have a small amount of time on my hands to do some reading, I'll have to go right back to the start and have a closer look.

Thanks Herremann, I really appreciate your comments. The earlier posts are a little choatic in pacing/style (as I wandered into the swing of the story hour), though I'm sure you'll enjoy. Please let me know what you think when you catch up.

I've also been hovering around the Lucifus Cray story hour to tell you the truth (invisible thus far, but that is about to change *Edit Update! It's really quite good - go check it out*). So give me a few days and I'll see what I can read through - my attention span is worse than a two year old, but trust me and I'll get there eventually.

Great to have you as a new reader on board!

Spider J

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases