The Blade of Phoee (Updated 12/08/08)

Funeris

First Post
Chapter 1: Fate's Weave Continued

Cassock reached into his sack and withdrew a coin. With a quick word, divine energy fled through his fingertips. The coin erupted into light. He handed the coin to his two companions as they headed toward the heavy door.

Groups of vagabonds, most dressed in rags, hissed and stared at the trio as they passed. Cassock held his head high, not bothering to even give the criminals a glance. The halfling however, couldn’t seem to remove her eyes. The light cast shadows upon the faces, twisting their likenesses into hollow mockeries of humanity. Those that still had teeth did not appear as horrific. Those without teeth laughed and spit at the travelers. Insanity spread from their hollow mouths, threatening to drag the trio into the oblivion of madness.

Cassock broke the silence, the madness and gathered their attentions with his words. “You both will stay with me tonight. Tomorrow, you will help me to track down the true criminals. I believe you have been wrongfully accused. Do not prove me wrong.”

“We’ll help. Anything, to get us out of here,” the halfling’s words rushed out. Her eyes strode downward, memorizing the rhythm of the priest’s gait. “Why did you help us?”

“Why do I help, you ask? This is a challenge given by my God. I have chosen to walk this path and in so doing, have found you in need. The true criminals were led by an elf, which is why you were falsely imprisoned. Racism is, unfortunately, a staple of the Church of Ara’kull.

“Now, I hope you will accompany me to find the true killers, if only to clear your own names. It would be for the best. Of course, if you wish to go your own way, then I will free you. But you won’t have many opportunities of friendship in this world.

“So, what are your names?”

“I’m Gabrielle!” The halfling did a quick curtsy before resuming her pace.

“Pleased to meet you Gabrielle, I am Cassock of Cael. And?” The priest turned toward the silent half-elf. The young man glanced up, holding Cassock’s eyes for but a moment.

“I….I usually go by my father’s name. It is…or...was Thomas. But you may call me by my elven name, Aramil.”

“I am pleased to meet you as well, Aramil. Now, we should go to see the mayor.”

Funeris

First Post
4 updates...and only a comment from a player...
<sigh>

I must be loosing my touch. :D

That...or I scared away my readers...

I refuse to be scared! :D

Great stuff Funeris - once again you've got impressive descriptive writing going here... I'm a big fan.

Don't you dare stop this SH. I'm in this till the bitter end!

Spider J

Funeris

First Post
Glad to see I haven't run you off, yet Spidey.
I won't stop the story hour (a.k.a. the madness). We're not even into the first session yet (kinda scary...since I have upwards of 30 pages typed up). This first chapter was all an email RP session we were doing whilst we were being paid to do "work". Heh.

But, we're about to pass into Chapter 2...where the "action" begins. And don't worry, there will be some bitter ends in Chapter 2 or 3.

Now, I'm going to get back to resting....my body has collapsed in utter exhaustion...and is now punishing me for overworking. So, expect an update by Thursday.

~Fune

OaxacanWarrior

First Post
Funeris said:
Glad to see I haven't run you off, yet Spidey.
I won't stop the story hour (a.k.a. the madness). We're not even into the first session yet (kinda scary...since I have upwards of 30 pages typed up). This first chapter was all an email RP session we were doing whilst we were being paid to do "work". Heh.

But, we're about to pass into Chapter 2...where the "action" begins. And don't worry, there will be some bitter ends in Chapter 2 or 3.

Now, I'm going to get back to resting....my body has collapsed in utter exhaustion...and is now punishing me for overworking. So, expect an update by Thursday.

~Fune

It is now Thursday and I am anxiously awaiting another update. :) This is great so far! Keep up the great story!

I assume that now we have the 4 PCs together...Cassock of Cael, Ana, Gabrielle, and Aramil?

Funeris

First Post
Yes yes...we now have all of the 4 ORIGINAL characters together. Heh. I'll let you infer what I mean by that. We'll add a fifth PC eventually....that's a ways down the road yet...and there may be a couple NPCs that join as well.

As for the update today....well, thanks for reminding me :) I'll have to upload it tomorrow...around 8 am EST. Still no internet connection at home...grrr...they swear it'll be fixed tomorrow (HA!). No internet at home is my equivalent to Hell.

But, yeah I forgot to bring my 3.5" disk to work today...so, maybe I'll have to update twice tomorrow as an apology.

So...I'll see you all in about 15 hours and 20 minutes. ;)

~Fune

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Funeris said:
Yes yes...we now have all of the 4 ORIGINAL characters together. Heh. I'll let you infer what I mean by that. We'll add a fifth PC eventually....that's a ways down the road yet...and there may be a couple NPCs that join as well.

As for the update today....well, thanks for reminding me :) I'll have to upload it tomorrow...around 8 am EST. Still no internet connection at home...grrr...they swear it'll be fixed tomorrow (HA!). No internet at home is my equivalent to Hell.

But, yeah I forgot to bring my 3.5" disk to work today...so, maybe I'll have to update twice tomorrow as an apology.

So...I'll see you all in about 15 hours and 20 minutes. ;)

~Fune

42 minutes till update ..... :cool:

Funeris

First Post
Okay folks…I’ve got a lot of update here for you. I’ll probably break it down by sections (to make it easier to read). So, enjoy.

INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!

~Fune

Funeris

First Post
Chapter 2: Journey into Darkness

Mayor Rowan chuckled warmly, his laugh combining with the jubilant laughter of all except Gabrielle. The halfling’s eyes wavered on the verge of tears. Across her cheek, a slight wound split open. Limply, one of the horsehair, lute strings danced above the floor broken and useless. [1]

Aramil slid across the bench to the girl and wrapped his arm around her shoulder. “It’s alright, Gab. The lute’s been through a lot. We can always find new strings.” The half-elf smiled a roguish grin and added, “And trust me, she really is a magnificent player.” Just out of view, Aramil crossed his fingers.

The laughter died out slowly after Cassock healed the halfling’s wounds. He whispered his own encouragement to the bard, as well as a promise to purchase new strings as soon as possible. Sitting once again, the priest reclined in the high-back chair, rubbing an ale-warmed hand across his belly. Cassock motioned to the long wooden table, whereupon rested the emptied food dishes and bottles of beverage. On a large spit, just behind the table, rested the largest deer Cassock had ever seen.

“Mayor Rowan, I must thank you profusely for your hospitality. Truly, I’ve not had such a glorious meal for quite some time.” Cassock grinned like a child.

“Well Master Cassock, I will give the cooks your praise, for they deserve it more than I.”

A slight cough interrupted the merry and idle chatter. Ana leaned forward in her own chair, lying the fabric napkin upon her plate and spoke, “Father, I am going with Cassock in the morning.” The mayor’s mouth opened in response, however Ana interjected again, “It would be for the best. Against a band of nearly twenty thieves and murderers, I’m sure the priest will need some aide.”

“Hey! We’re going too!” Gabrielle shrieked.

“And while I have no doubt that you are qualified for such a task, I still think Cassock needs more help than just the two of you. Twenty men will be hard to overcome with just the three of you. I know this area, know the trails. I did grow up here. My experience would be invaluable, at the least.”

“I had hoped you were going to stay for some time,” the mayor grumbled.

“Speaking of,” Cassock added, “what exactly are your qualifications?” He turned his eyes toward the halfling and half-elf. “Obviously Ana has experience around here. And her blade looks used, I have no doubt she can wield it. But?” He questioningly glanced at the pair.

“Um,” Aramil began, a mischievous smile spreading across his face, “she plays a mean lute.” A quick jab in the ribs from the halfling silenced the rogue’s laughter.

“I know lots of stuff too,” Gabrielle angrily added.

“Of course.” Cassock bowed his head in mock acceptance.

“You won’t stay just a bit longer daughter?”

“Father, we will have more time to speak when I return. Now, I fear it is nearly the witching hour. If we’re going to get an early start, I’d like to go and pay my last respects tonight. If you’ll excuse me,” Anastrianna Rowen stood from her spot and headed toward the door.

“Now, Lady,” Cassock interjected, “A graveyard is no place for a Lady at night. I will be accompanying you.” The priest rose as well, slipping his warmace into its leather strap.

“I’m coming too!” Gabrielle shouted as she slipped the useless lute over her back.

Aramil sighed, “No rest for the wicked.”

“If I can’t dissuade you daughter,” Mayor Rowen began, “I’ll have rooms prepared for when you return from the cemetery.” Each gave their thanks before slipping quietly out the door and into the darkest hour of night.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] – I can’t remember what Gabrielle’s player rolled…but it was either a 1, 2 or 3 for the Performance check…so voila…the strings broke, she was out of tune…etc. :D

Remove ads