Free Actions and AoO

Xellous

First Post
Im having a little argument in my group. This question came up when we had a character stand as a free action. Does standing as a free action still cause AoO or doesnt it. Also is there a general rule saying free actions provoke AoO or that they dont? Thanks for the help.

Len

Prodigal Member
There is no general rule. Some free actions provoke AoOs. If you use the rule in CAdv for standing as a free action, it still provokes an AoO.

Crothian

First Post
the importance is not if it is free action or not, just what the action is. Standing up provokes an AoO no matter if it is a free action, standard, move, full round or ten minute action.

Stalker0

Legend
Crothian said:
the importance is not if it is free action or not, just what the action is. Standing up provokes an AoO no matter if it is a free action, standard, move, full round or ten minute action.

Wasn't there a ruling though that casting a quickened spell does not provoke an AOO, even though casting a spell normally would?

dcollins

Explorer
Stalker0 said:
Wasn't there a ruling though that casting a quickened spell does not provoke an AOO, even though casting a spell normally would?

Only because the PHB "Table: Miscellaneous Actions" specifically says that quickened spells provoke no AOO. Although now that I look at it, it's kind of funny that none of the free actions have "yes" listed under the AOO column.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Page 144 of the PH states that free actions rarely provoke attacks of opportunity. That leaves the door open to the possibility that some might, depending on the action being taken. No examples are given, however, of any free actions that do provoke AoO.

The door is certainly left open to free actions provoking AoO even if casting a quickened spell as a free action does not.

Xellous

First Post
billd91 said:
Page 144 of the PH states that free actions rarely provoke attacks of opportunity. That leaves the door open to the possibility that some might, depending on the action being taken. No examples are given, however, of any free actions that do provoke AoO.

The door is certainly left open to free actions provoking AoO even if casting a quickened spell as a free action does not.

So ARE there any free actions that do provide AoO? Off the top of my head I cant see any although I have noticed that all free actions do have the clause "does not cause an AoO" or something similar.

moritheil

First Post
Xellous said:
So ARE there any free actions that do provide AoO? Off the top of my head I cant see any although I have noticed that all free actions do have the clause "does not cause an AoO" or something similar.

Standing up! :p

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Xellous said:

See the Rapid Reload feat in the PHB. (Or, as noted more than once, the rule for standing as a free action with a DC 35 Tumble check in Complete Adventurer.)

-Hyp.

Xellous

First Post
Yes, my bad. I did me other then standing up. The rapid reload feat though is one I never noticed. Again thanks for helping me out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases