Castle Caldwell and Beyond - your experiences?

Quasqueton

First Post
Forty-third thread of a series on the old classic Dungeons & Dragons adventure modules. It is interesting to see how everyone's experiences compared and differed.

Castle Caldwell and Beyond
b9.jpg

Did you Play or DM this adventure (or both, as some did)? What were your experiences? Did you complete it? What were the highlights for you?

Quasqueton

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
refereed this one. it was gawd awful. by the time this one came out... things were beyond castle caldwell alright.

they were beyond altogether.

poorly edited. poorly constructed. poorly tied together.

just plain poor.

almost as bad as the stuff from FFG for the 2000ed. edit: i only throw this in so others will have a reference in comparison if they never played/read B9

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Quasqueton said:
Did you Play or DM this adventure (or both, as some did)?
Both? What do you mean?

I have the Finnish version (Caldwellin Linnoitus), and it has 4 adventures (with Caldwell divided into two).

Quasqueton

First Post
Both? What do you mean?
Some people have played a character through an adventure module, and then later DMed it for another group. The responses to these threads have given many examples of this.

Quasqueton

3catcircus

Adventurer
I used the B1-9 version of this module and set it in the little Thorp of Horsa in the Moonshae Isles. My players, being 1st level, were a bit panicked at one point in the dungeon level when they saw "Red Wizards" in a laboratory and thought that they had been portaled to Thay...

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Quasqueton said:
Some people have played a character through an adventure module, and then later DMed it for another group. The responses to these threads have given many examples of this.
Oh. Right.

I thought you meant that the English version had only two adventures. :eek:

The Caldwell adventure was boredom incarnate.
The princess rescue was a skeleton on which to build a better adventure.
The prison break was fun fun fun.
And the last one fooled the players because of the funny little secret passageway map desing. Other than that not much to say.

Overall not a very good module.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
diaglo said:
refereed this one. it was gawd awful. by the time this one came out... things were beyond castle caldwell alright.

they were beyond altogether.

poorly edited. poorly constructed. poorly tied together.

just plain poor.

I feel exactly the same. Not a good one.

R.A.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
diaglo said:
almost as bad as the stuff from FFG for the 2000ed. edit: i only throw this in so others will have a reference in comparison if they never played/read B9

Do you mean FFE? (there was FFE, there is FFG and FD) If so, then it must have been bad...

Remove ads