Aeon (updated 10/9/14)

Irel
[sblock]Irel, Who Smites, formerly First Prince of the Sixth Choir. Irel is renowned for his martial prowess, extraordinary eyesight, physical beauty and – previously – his generosity of spirit; some special measure of grace prevented his complete perdition: the only remaining episeme of the first Dark Choir as seduced by the Adversary, Irel abides in a liminal space between celestial and devil. He is variously described as ‘half-fallen’ or ‘fallen without sin.’

Most of the benefits afforded to exalted celestials are retained by Irel, although a few are recast along the law/chaos axis as opposed to the good/evil axis; there is resonance between Irel and the two meditations (Fultum, succor and Anto, wrath) which were revealed to the Ahma during his first death. Irel has a particular loyalty to Shomei which goes beyond that of a compacted devil, being both her favorite 'devilish lover' and one sympathetic to her particular vision of the I.

Irel has one item: his mace.

Irel, Who Smites

Size/Type: Large Outsider (Augmented, Celestial, Extraplanar, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 30d8+450 (690hp)
Initiative: +14
Speed: 100 ft., fly 200 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 65 (-1 size, +17 deflection, +10 Dex, +12 insight, +17 natural), touch 48, flat-footed 55
Base Attack/Grapple: +30/+65
Attack: +69 (2d6+36/19-20 +3d6 sonic, +8 speed thundering blast heavy mace)
Full Attack: +69/+69/+64/+59/+54 (2d6+36/19-20 +3d6 sonic, +8 speed thundering blast heavy mace)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Divine elemental power, intuitive strikes, smite chaos, spell-like abilities, spells, stun
Special Qualities: Change shape, damage reduction 20/epic and adamantine and chaotic, darkvision 60 ft., death ward, elemental invulnerability, immunities (petrification, poison and sleep), linked minds, low light vision, protective aura, regeneration 15, see in darkness, spell resistance 55, tongues, uncanny dodge.
Saves: Fort +49, Ref +44, Will +46
Abilities: Str 49, Dex 31, Con 40, Int 31, Wis 35, Cha 44
Skills: Balance +47, Concentration +48, Diplomacy +54, Disguise +27, Escape Artist +43, Hide +39, Intimidate +50, Jump +84, Knowledge (history) +43, Knowledge (nature) +47, Knowledge (religion) +43, Knowledge (the planes) +43, Listen +45, Move Silently +43, Sense Motive +45, Search +73, Spot +75, Survival +45 (+49 following tracks or on other planes), Tumble +47
Feats: Cleave, Combat Brute, Devastating Critical (heavy mace), Dire Charge, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (heavy mace), Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Overwhelming Critical (heavy mace), Power Attack, Shock Trooper, Track, Weapon Focus (heavy mace)
Challenge Rating: 41

Irel appears as a statuesque deva-devil around eight feet tall and weighing some 600 pounds. Natural weapons and weapons wielded by Irel are considered epic and lawful-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Irel wields his mace two-handed.

Change Shape (Su): Irel can assume the shape of any small or medium humanoid. He gains a +10 circumstance bonus on any Disguise checks he makes when using this ability.
Death Ward (Ex): Attacks with the death descriptor and negative energy attacks have no effect upon Irel.
Devastating Critical: Creatures who sustain a critical hit from Irel’s mace must make a Fortitude save (DC 44) or die.
Divine Elemental Power: When Irel uses a spell or spell-like abilitiy with an energy descriptor, all damage from such spells or abilities is considered divine in nature for the purpose of bypassing resistances and immunities; target creatures who possess a special vulnerabiliy to a particular energy type still retain it.
Extraordinary Vision (Ex): Irel gains a +30 insight bonus to all Spot and Search checks. He can see perfectly in darkness, even that created by magical effects.
Fast Healing (Ex): Irel has fast healing 20.
Grace (Su): Irel gains a bonus to his Saving Throws equal to his Charisma modifier. This is already reflected in his stat block
Intuitive Strikes (Ex): All of Irel’s attacks (including grapple attacks) gain a +12 insight modifier. These are included in his stat block.
Linked Minds (Su): Irel is in continual telepathic communion with any other celestials within 300 ft., and never need use verbal communication with another celestial within range. If part of a group of 3 or more, he is never surprised.
Planar Travel (Su): Irel may move between any two planes. Treat this ability as a plane shift except that Irel can only transport himself and his equipment and he never arrives off-destination.
Protective Aura (Su): Irel can activate this as a free action. It acts as a double strength magic circle against chaos and a lesser globe invulnerability with a 20-ft. radius ( caster level 30th). The aura can be dispelled, but Irel can create it again as a free action on his turn.
Regeneration (Ex): Irel has regeneration 15. Epic chaotic-aligned weapons and chaotic-aligned spells do normal damage to Irel.
Smite Chaos (Su): Irel automatically makes all attacks as if they were smite attempts. Against chaotic creatures, Irel gains a +17 bonus on his attack rolls and deals an extra 30 points of damage.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will—aid, axiomatic smite (DC 31), continual flame, cure light wounds (DC 28), detect chaos, dictum (DC 34), discern lies (DC 31), dispel chaos (DC 32), greater dispel magic, greater invisibility (self only), remove curse (DC 30), remove disease (DC 30), remove fear (DC 28), shield of law (DC 35); 1/day—blade barrier (DC 33), heal (DC 33). Caster level 30th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.
Stun (Su): If Irel strikes an opponent twice in one round with his mace, that creature must succeed on a DC 44 Fortitude save or be stunned for 1d6 rounds. The save DC is Strength-based.
Teleport (Su): Irel can use greater teleport at will as the spell. He can transport only himself and his equipment.
True Seeing (Ex): This ability is always active to the limit of Irel’s vision.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Irel retains his Dexterity bonus to AC when flat-footed, and cannot be flanked except by a rogue of at least 34th level. He can flank characters with the uncanny dodge ability as if he were a 30th-level rogue.

Spellcasting
Irel casts spells as a 30th-level favored soul (6/11/10/10/10/9/9/9/9/9 spells per day; Save DC 22+ spell level). Irel has access to spells from the Liberation, Protection, Renewal and Wrath domains. Irel never needs to use foci or material components in his spallcasting. Spells known:

1st – axiomatic water, deathwatch, omen of peril, protection from chaos/evil/good/law, rhino ’s rush, sign
2nd – align weapon, divine insight, enthrall, shatter (DC 24), shield other, stretch weapon
3rd – alter fortune (DC 25) attune form, ghost touch weapon, knight’s move, mass conviction, tremor (DC 25)
4th – dimensional anchor, divination, freedom of movement, revenance, wall of law (DC 26), wrack (DC 26)
5th – flame strike (DC 27), hold monster (DC 27), indomitability, major creation, meteoric strike (DC 27), righteous might
6th – animate objects, antimagic field, banishment (DC 28),find the path, opalescent glare (DC 28), superior resistance
7th – control weather, destruction (DC 29), greater restoration, mass spell resistance, radiant assault (DC 29)
8th – discern location, earthquake, lion’s roar (DC 30), mind blank, fire storm (DC 30)
9th – freedom, implosion (DC 31), storm of vengeance (DC 31), unbinding

Equipment: +8 speed thundering blast heavy mace[/sblock]

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Explorer
I'm glad Irel survived. It was kind of sad seeing how many of Shomei's devils fell, although I suppose the world is safer for it. I presume they are permanently gone, not merely returned to prior infinity?

Eadric's death- I don't remember a previous one, but nor do I recall succor and wrath. Can anyone help me out? (Maybe it is time for me to reread the story...!)

Rackhir

Explorer
I'm glad Irel survived. It was kind of sad seeing how many of Shomei's devils fell, although I suppose the world is safer for it. I presume they are permanently gone, not merely returned to prior infinity?

Eadric's death- I don't remember a previous one, but nor do I recall succor and wrath. Can anyone help me out? (Maybe it is time for me to reread the story...!)

Twice actually IIRC. Pg 10

Shvar Choryati encroched. Now it phased nearby in contempt of the Quiescence of the Spheres, first here and then there, slaying hundreds each time it appeared; half at random, but always closer, as if some instinct drew it obliquely inwards.

Nwm stilled his thought and considered his options. He observed its pattern, and pondered.

"You will not escape it," Nwm spoke to the Sela. "No magic can speed you fast enough now; all has been stilled. It hungers for you, albeit circuitously; it is does not perceive the route to you in linear fashion. Many are dying as it seeks you; we may never recover them. It will eat everything near you. Will you trust me and do as I say?" Nwm asked.

"Yes," Tramst replied. Even in the darkness, Nwm knew that his expression was open.

Nwm reached out and felt the Sela's helm, and placed a hand on either side.

"Invoke her," the Preceptor said.

"Nehael," Tramst whispered. A supplication.

"Rest until the morning. I will wake you at sunrise." With a strong twist, Nwm snapped the Sela's neck.

His death passed unnoticed by all except the Darkness.

Become an enormous hunting cat, Nwm bounded north and west. Two minutes later, beyond the range of Prahar's invocation, he assumed the form of a great eagle, and powered his way away, in search of a likely refuge.

Meanwhile, the void turned its attention to the brightest remaining source of light.

When they were fighting the evil cabal. Visuit the demi-goddess IIRC.

Pg.11

With three mighty strokes, Visuit dropped the Ahma like a stone, whirled her blade over her head, and clove into Ortwine, driving her backwards in a daze. With a back-handed swipe she slew Tahl the Incorruptible – who was moving to revivify Eadric – as an afterthought. Mostin had resorted to magic missiles which pulsed into the goddess.

Bad couple of pages for Eadric.

Solarious

Explorer
It's when Visuit attacked Furamil with her immortals; where Nwm got one shot, got saved by Ortwine retroactively, then one shot again after he smacked her with a spontaneous transvalent ritual fwoosh.

After which, before his Resurrection, Tramst let Eadric 'choose two' from seven (times seven unnumbered times). Fultum and Anto turn out to be certain meditations; their Sovereign manifestations are stated up in the Legacy thread where Sep used to post stats.

Baron Opal

First Post
I have difficulty considering Nwm, who dropped a bolide upon an elder abomination, "common-folk".

Then again, he may very well be as only people of his stature have survived to this point. It's all relative, I suppose.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
There's Nwm.

And now that she's experienced saizhan, is Nercamay strictly Evil?

Shomei has experienced Saizhan, but I have to believe that she is currently Evil...

i would agree with the Baron... no way that Nwm is "normal" now. He might not be a Pseudonatural Spellwarped Demigod like Mostin or Eadric, but he is dropping comets on Divine Emanations and teaching gods.

Normal would be a commoner, etc.

Morne doesn't really have any normal people left IFAIK though because of the Mass Resurrection done, they all came back with some celestial templates I think.

Cheiromancer

Explorer
Soneillon doesn't appear particularly evil, either. Not like Surab- remember how he tormented Iua, drawing her into madness and evil... breaking her? (I looked it up- the post was from 06-25-06, page 8 of the compilation thread.)

I can't recall Soneillon doing anything like that. But I've forgotten a lot.

Bloodcookie

Explorer
Soneillon doesn't appear particularly evil, either. Not like Surab- remember how he tormented Iua, drawing her into madness and evil... breaking her? (I looked it up- the post was from 06-25-06, page 8 of the compilation thread.)

I can't recall Soneillon doing anything like that. But I've forgotten a lot.

We haven't seen her do the like on-camera, but remember Throile, and what she presided over - from October 2003:
But you should be warned: there are things here which you would regard as obscene, debased and insane. You are likely to be offended."

"I’ve come this far," Eadric pointed out. "I will reserve judgement."

"It will still shake you to your core."

Eadric found that she was right. The suffering there knew no limits, and the pleasure derived by those who inflicted it was transient, grotesque and depraved.
It was, after all, the Abyss.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases