Eberron: The Chaos Effect Complete once more Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

I wish to announce a new Eberron Play By Post game opening.

EBERRON: THE CHAOS EFFECT

I will run a PbP Eberron game on EN World. The quick of it is you as a group are hired by a group of investors with ties to Morgrave University and other large businesses to locate a legendary artifact. The magical ring is believed to be able to negate any magic, psionics or supernatural powers directed at the wearer. It will be a highly sought after item.

Expect lots of action, travel and intrigue.

THE PbP RULES

I will update late every Wednesday and Sunday (or the day after).

In roleplaying, ask and do whatever you want. I will try my best to organize turns as I can. I understand some can reply daily and others only twice a week.

During COMBAT I will ask for a quick line or two what your intensions are then the THREE turns you will use. The reason I ask for intensions is in case of unexpected results. Intensions should also list when you want to use ACTION POINTS (ex… I roll a natural 1 or under a 5)

Level: 5

Races: Any within allowed books. Keep in mind, this will involve travel and intrigue. Humans blend in everywhere and the common races fit in most everywhere. Some races can draw unwanted attention or make the group easier to track.

Books allowed: Core 1-3, Any Eberron book, any Complete book. For other recources, please ask me first. I am very flexible but not easy.

Classes: Players Book and Complete books

Prestige Classes: 99.99 of them. No Hurlers

WHAT I EXPECT FROM PLAYERS

The first six to complete the following are the players

Enter a COMPLETE character sheet / stats of the character , their possessions, and spells. I want some background also. This takes place about four years after the war. Were you in it? Whose side? What good things did you do? What things do you hope not to remember.
KEEP IN MIND- If you are using info about another character I don’t think you should know I’ll call .

Give a good description of character, attire and the such. I have been known to do drawings of my adventures.

Try to keep with the story. I know no one can check on this everyday but I hope you let me know if you can’t . I’ll give plenty of warnings if you are skipping giving actions and are near to becoming an NPC (acceptable lose)

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE STORY

The CHAOS Effect will begin in Sharn and lead to travel as you collect clues before going to Xen’drik. Along the way, other secret factions may learn of your cause and try to “influence” you and your course of actions. Thus intrigue and sudden and unexpected challenges may occur.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM ME

I run a lose game with a twisted sense of humor mixed in. NPCs tend to be odd at best. I often “play”
The game within my mind as if it were a movie. LOTS of action. If I will be away myself, I will let you know. I have a family and two jobs, There will be delays at times.

I may compile this into a Storyhour also. Those that read Storyhours will possibly recognize my user name as I currently run four other Storyhours. I love to create stories.

WRAP UP

Despite this formal list of do’s and don’ts I am an easy DM and its all about fun. So strap on your sword, place your wands up your sleeves and conceal your poisons…we’re going to explore for an artifact in Xen’drik!

Last edited:

Forgot- Once we have the 5-6 players and we are ready to begin I will create a thread within the Play by Post section. I'll have links set up.

Let me know which. I only have a few and I don't plan on buying ALL race books. I have Races of Stone and by June Races of Eberron.

Bront

The man with the probe
How are stats and HP being determined? How about Starting good/equipment?

I'll mention this thread in the PbP eberron thread I started that you posted.

I've got a few. I'll post them as I go, so I have a few options. Debating betwen the House Deneith noble, a Changling Rouge (Infiltration/Spy sort), or a Changling Wizard(eventualy Recaster) (The last two I'd probably use a few of the racial substitution levels in Races of Eberon).

Sblocked to save space (Also been placed in character sheet)
[sblock]Deneith Noble
Vander d‘Deneith was a Deneith house favorite long before his dragonmark surfaced. Being the 7th son of the wealthy and influential Baron Corin d’Deneith, Vander was often left to the care of others, and rarely spent time with his father. Perhaps Corin blamed Vander for his wife’s death, as she died during Vander’s birth. Vander’s older brothers reveled in the power and influence that their status and wealth gave them, and they played up their status as much as possible. They would often put servants in awkward positions, or make them do ridiculous things. Others in the House saw this lack of discipline and grew to generally dislike the elder sons.

Vander, however, spent a lot of time with the servants, and saw the humiliation and strain that was thrust upon them. He refused to play upon his power, and as a result was often viewed with favor among the servants and respect among the House. The elder sons saw this and would often do what they could to keep Vander from view. Eventually, many in the house knew of Vander, but few had ever met him.

Vander spent a lot of time working on his skills, often due to “Bogus” training exercises concocted by his older brothers to keep him out of sight. He trained with his father’s steward, Sir Garret Bender, in the ways of war, diplomacy and the ways of the court, and many of the servants in the ways of the outside of court. As he and his brothers grew older, Corin began to rely on the elder sons more, and relegated Garret to a more custodial role with his estate. Garret continued to spend time with Vander, and Vander regarded Garret as much as a father as a guide.

On his 16th birthday, Vander’s dragonmark manifested. This brought him some attention that none of his brothers had gotten, and Corin took a more personal interest in the doings of his youngest son. He saw his son blossoming into a truly noble character, and continued to let Garret and the estate servants take an active role in Vander’s upbringing. However, he made sure to bring Vander to several social functions despite the brother’s best attempts to keep him out. Vander made quite the impression in the House, and quickly became the favored son as far as many of the other nobles of the House were concerned.

Things changed drastically on his 18th Birthday. Just prior to the celebration, a changeling assassin killed Corin. The assassin was quickly dispatched, but there was no clue as to who had hired it nor why. When going to see Garret, he overhead his eldest brother Sorin speaking to him. Garret was informing Sorin that Corin had willed the estate to Vander. Enraged by this, Sorin killed Garret, made it look like the assassin had done it earlier, and then destroyed the will. Vander, fearing he was next, quickly used a house connection to flee the estate.

Since that day, Vander has worked for the Houses Defender’s guild, keeping a fairly low profile. He has been able to use his connections to keep his activities in the guild fairly quiet, but he has an exemplary record of performance, and is well known for his nobility in word and deed. He has spent much of his days looking over his shoulder in fear of an unknown assassin, and he continues to look to find out why his father was killed when he was.[/sblock]

Ideally, I'd hope that I could exchange a few Fighter class skills for others (I need Diplomacy, Bluff, and Sense Motive, and would be willing to ditch Climb, Jump, and Swim. Two other options (I prefer these two over tweaking the fighter a bit), use the Aristocrat NPC class but add the fighter combat feats (So, loosing out on BAB, and 1 level of HD, but gain 2 extra skill points and a more appropriate skill list) OR, I've been building a noble class myself that might fit well if you are willing to allow it. I've posted that noble class here. The character will eventually be interested in taking the Dragonmark Heir prestiege class as well. (At 5th, would be 4th level whatever, 1st level Heir) and would likely be interested in this treck given it would keep him out of sight of his brothers for a while.

Last edited:

lonesoldier

First Post
Code:
Name: Kerrick
Race: Human
Class: Ninja 5
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Deity: Dol Dorn

Str: 14 +2 (6p.)      Level: 5        XP: 10,000/15,000
Dex: 16 +3 (10p.)     BAB: +3         HP: 24 (6+4d6)
Con: 10 +0 (2p.)      Grapple: +5     AC: 19 (10 +3 Dex, +3 Wis, +1 Ninja, +1 Armour, +1 Natural)
Int: 10 +0 (2p.)      Speed: 30'      Touch AC: 18
Wis: 16 +3 (8p.)(+1)  Init: +7        Flatfooted AC: 16
Cha: 12 +1 (4p.)      ACP: -0         AP: 7

Saves   Base  Mod  Other  Total 
Fort:     1   +1           +2 
Ref:      4   +3           +7 
Will:     1   +3    +2     +6 

Weapons          Attack  Damage   Critical  Range  DamageTp  Special/Note
Dagger (CI or AS)  +5    1d4+2    19-20/x2  10ft    P or S  ColdIron/Silver
Kama               +5    1d6+2       x2       -       S      Trip attacks
Kama/Nunchaku    +3/+3  1d6+2/1d6+2  x2       -      S/B     Trip/Disarm
Nunchaku           +5    1d6+2       x2       -       B      +2 on Disarm
Sai                +5    1d4+2       x2     10ft      B      +4 on Disarm
Sai/Sai          +3/+3  1d4+2/1d4+2  x2     10ft     B/B       Disarm
Shortbow           +6     1d6        x3     60ft      P           -
Shuriken(3)        +6     3d2        x2     10ft      P           -
Unarmed Attack     +5    1d3+2       x2       -       B      Subdual Dmg.

Protective Items         ACBonus  MaxDex  ACP 
Bracers of Armour (+1)     +1       -     -0
Amulet of Nat. Arm. (+1)   +1       -     -0

Languages: Common 

Abilities:
AC Bonus (Ex)
Ki Power (Su) (5 Uses)
Sudden Strike (Ex) (+3d6)
Trapfinding (Ex) (As rouge's ability)
Ghost Step (Su) (Invisible)
Poison Use (Ex)
Great Leap (Su)

Proficencies: Simple Weapons, Hand Crossbow, Kama, Kukri, Nunchaku, Sai,
Shortbow, Shortsword, Shuriken, Siangham. Not proficent with any armour or shields.

Feats: Dodge, Two-Weapon Fighting, Imp. Init.

Skill Points: 56      Max Ranks: 8/4 

Skills                Ranks  Modifer Other Total
Balance                 5      +3     +2     +10
Climb                   5      +2     +2     +9  (+2 with ropes)
Disable Device          5      +0     +2     +7
Escape Artist           0      +3     +0     +3  (+2 with ropes)
Hide                    7      +3     +6     +16
Jump                    6      +2     +6     +14
Move Silently           7      +3     +0     +10
Open Lock               4      +3     +2     +9
Search                  2      +3     +0     +5
Spot                    4      +3     +0     +7
Tumble                  6      +3     +2     +11
Use Rope                5      +3     +2     +10

Equipment               Cost   Weight
Ammy of Nat. Arm.(+1) 2000gp     -
Arrows(20)               1gp    3lb
Bracers of Armour(+1) 1000gp     -
Cloak of Elvenkind    2500gp    1lb
Dagger, Cold Iron        4gp    1lb
Dagger, Alchem. Silver  22gp    1lb
Feather Fall Talisman   50gp     -
Handy Haversack       2000gp    5lb
-Bedroll                 1sp     -
-Caltrops                1gp     -
-Climber's Kit          80gp     - (+2 on Climb)
-Disguise kit           50gp     - (+2 on Disguise) (10/10)
-Flint&Steel             1gp     -
-Rations(10)             5gp     -
-Everburning Torch     110gp     -
-Waterskin               1gp     -
-Whetstone               2cp     -
Kama                     2gp    2lb
Nunchaku                 2gp    2lb
Pouch, belt              1gp    0.5lb
-Coins             2gp7sp8cp     -
-Onyx                   50gp     -
Potion holder           50gp    0.5lb
-Alchemist's Fire       20gp    1.5lb
-Antitoxin              50gp     -
-Drow Poison            75gp     - (DC 13, Unconciousess)
-Cure light wounds(3)  150gp     -
-Holy water             25gp    1lb
Rope, Silk(50ft)        10gp    5lb (+2 to Use Rope)
-Grappeling Hook         1gp    4lb
Sai(2)                   2gp    2lb
Shiftweave Clothing    500gp     -
-Cold Weather Outfit     8gp     -
-Explorer's Outfit      10gp     -
-Darkweave Outfit      110gp     - (+1 to Hide)
-Peasant’s Outfit        1sp     -
-Traveler’s Outfit       1gp     -
Shuriken(15)             3gp    1.5lb
Thieves’ tools, MASTER 100gp    2lb (+2 on Disable/OpenLock)

Total Weight:                   33.5lb
                           Lgt  Med   Hvy   Lift  Drag
Max Weight:                58   116   175   350   875

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 180lb
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Brown
Skin: Pale white
Region: Breland
City: Sharn
Appearance/Description:
[SBLOCK]Kerrick stands 5’10” tall and seems to around average weight. His ice blue eyes stare at yours, evaluating you while you evaluate him. He smiles and runs a hand through his short cut brown hair as he turns to walk away. Kerrick is wearing a neutral grey cloak (clasped at the base of his neck with a golden brooch), which hides most of his body. What you can see from the front is his loose fitting white shirt and brown pants. He has a silver chain around his neck, but his shirt hides whatever is on the end. He also has dull grey bracers on as well. The only weapon you can see is the ornate dagger sheathed at his belt, it has an abnormally long hilt. Other than the lack of weaponry he seems prepared, he has a small backpack that looks full and the ever important grappling hook and attached rope hangs from the side of the pack.[/SBLOCK]
History:
[SBLOCK]Kerrick is a ninja from the Temple of the Spire, a group of monks living and training in Sharn. The temple is dedicated to stamping out crime and operates much like any church. This is all a façade. The temple’s true goal in Sharn is to recover artefacts (that rightfully belong to them) from Xen’drik. They usually have initiates travel to the lost continent to recover something before are accepted as a full member of the order. The artefacts are taken to Morgrave University for analysis before being ‘stolen’ back.

Temple initiates are chosen for their potential and young age. Not everyone has the ability to master the ancient martial arts. Most are trained from birth to harness their abilities and focus their ki. They spend their early years in training, supplemented by menial labour and complex ritualized duel intended to increase overall lethality and grace.

Kerrick was born to two dockside labourers, at an age of two months he was taken by the Temple’s “collectors”. Kerrick became a junior apprentice (a Ryst) at age six. As a Ryst he did many meditations to focus his ki, as well as training to overcome basic phobias that would hinder his ability to perform his duties. Ryst training is like tempering steel. Preparing the initiate for the greater trials ahead.

At the Kir stage (a senior apprentice) Kerrick was as skilled as the average soldier. As a Kir he learnt the weapons and tactics of the ancient warrior monks, how they manipulated their ki to hide themselves in plain sight, how to tune the body to the mind and make great jumps. At the age of eleven Kerrick killed his first target. An old barkeep in the Cogs who had a small slave trade on the side. The Temple of Spire would point him in a direction and he would return with the head of some criminal no one else would bring to justice.

Even as a young child Kerrick displayed an amazing amount of control and maturity. Kerrick understands that life is precious so he only kills the guilty. After all, killing everyone in your way is not only hard to cover up, it’s unprofessional.

Kerrick never really knew his parents, the Temple is his home. Its masters are his parents and the apprentices are his older siblings. Kerrick takes the ninja path to heart and tries to stay emotionally distant from everyone, but has developed a special bond with his master, Tertas Ra’na. He sees Tertas as a father figure and has great faith in his abilities and teachings.

Kerrick has accumulated much resentment among his peers because in only seventeen years he has become an elder apprentice (an Estas), while others who are in their twenties are still senior or junior apprentices (Kir and Ryst, respectively).

To become a fill member of the Temple of the Spire, Kerrick must find an artefact in Xen’drik and return it Morgrave University. As such his masters have ‘enlisted’ him as a first year student in archaeology (Under the assumed name Kerrick Estas, using his rank as his last name) and made sure that he would be taken on the voyage to the continent for the ring artefact.
[/SBLOCK]
Temple of the Spire:
[SBLOCK]Temple of the Spire
Holy Order (N)
Medium Organization
194 Members
50,000 GP Limit

Class Demographics
50% Monks (97)
25% Ninjas (48)
15% Shujenga (29)
10% Other (20)

Racial Demographics:
70% Human (135)
15% Elven/Half-Elven (29)
10% Halfing (19)
5% Other (11)

Rank Breakdown:
Grand Master - El (1)
Counciler - Kor (10)
Full Member - Ra'na (94)
Elder Appr. - Estas (20)
Senior Appr. - Kir (29)
Junior Appr. - Ryst (40)
[/SBLOCK]
EDITS:
[SBLOCK]Figured out class/race and read the Eberron campaign setting book.
Added character sheet.
Updated sheet, nearing completion.
Added History and Description.
Corrected weight.
Rewrote History.
Added stats for the Temple of the Spire.
Added Cloak of Elvenkind's Bonus to Hide.
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

sleepystyle

First Post
Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Rashleigh d'Orloff
[B]Class:[/B] Cleric of the Sovereign Host 5th Level
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] M
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] N
[B]Deity:[/B] Sovereign Host (Kol Korran)

[B]Str:[/B]   12 +1 (4 p.)     [B]Level:[/B] 5        [B]XP:[/B] 10,000/15,000
[B]Dex:[/B]   12 +1 (4 p.)     [B]BAB:[/B] +3         [B]HP:[/B] 29 
[B]Con:[/B]   12 +1 (4 p.)     [B]Grapple:[/B] +4     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] 0/0
[B]Int:[/B]   15 +2 (8 p.)     [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] N/A
[B]Wis:[/B]   17 +3 (10 p.)    [B]Init:[/B] +1        [B]Spell Save:[/B] +0
[B]Cha:[/B]   10 +0 (2 p.)     [B]ACP:[/B] -0         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] 0%
[4th level Stat increase spent on Wisdom]

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]Mithral Shirt 10    +4    +0     +1   +0    +0   +0     15 
[B]Touch:[/B] 11              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 14

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                 4     +2          +6
[B]Ref:[/B]                  1     +2          +4
[B]Will:[/B]                 4     +2          +6

[B]Weapon               Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Light Mace +1         +5      1d6+2         x2  

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Celestial, Abyssal 

[B]Abilities:[/B] 
Spontaneous Casting (Cure), Rebuke Undead

SPELLS
Domains: 
Charm - +4 Cha once per day.  Free Action. Lasts 1 minute
Travel - Freedom of movement 5 Rounds/day
Typical Spells: (In City)
0   - 5
1st - 4+1 Charm Person*, Prot. from Evil, Comprehend Languages, Sanctuary, Command
2nd - 3+1 Locate Object*, Augury, Zone of Truth, Summon Monster II 
3rd - 2+1 Suggestion*, Dispel Magic, Bestow Curse

[B]Feats:[/B] Spell Focus Conjuration, Augment Summoning, Scribe Scroll

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 40       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 8/4
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Concentration (con)        8     +1           9
Diplomacy (Cha)            8    +0           8
Kn. Arcana (int)           8    +2           10
Kn History (int)           2    +2           4
Kn. Religion               6    +2           8
Kn. The Planes             8    +2           10
Prof (wis)                     
Spellcraft (int)
Survival (wis)
Craft (Int) 
Heal (Wis)

[B]Equipment:                  Cost  Weight[/B]
Holy symbol -Silver        25 gp   1 lb
Signet Brooch               75 gp   -
Identification Papers w/ pic 5 gp -
Light Mace              
  of Spell Storing      2,305 gp    4 lb
Cleric's Vestments          5 gp    6 lb  [not generally carried]
Scholar's Outfit              5 gp   [6 lb] worn, not counted
Mithral Shirt             1,100 gp  10 lb
Wand: Cure
     Moderate            4,500 gp   -
Traveling Papers              2 sp   -

[B]Total Weight:[/B]15 lb      [B]Money:[/B] 1 pp 979 gp 8 sp 0 cp
                            (21 lb with both sets of clothing)
                           [B]Lgt     Med     Hvy    Lift     Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]                 43    44-86   87-130   260     1300

[B]Age:[/B] 28
[B]Height:[/B] 5'9"
[B]Weight:[/B] 180 lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Brown
[B]Hair:[/B] Black
[B]Skin:[/B]
Appearance: Thick eyebrows, dark circles under his eyes, pale skin that rarely sees natural light, thick body type without being that muscular, a bit of a paunch, penetrating eyes, has a habit a staring a bit longer than people are comfortable with, a frequent smile that doesn't seem to be sincere...
Cleric's Vestments are cream colored robes with red and gold trim/detailing

Background:

Rashleigh d'Orloff was born to a branch of House Orien specializing in the highly

profitable and less than ethical side of transportation: a lesser noble house of

smugglers. Oh of course the family has legitimate business concerns, but family status

and indiviudal wealth seems to focus more on the underbelly of its business than on the

front it presents. Unfortunately for Rashleigh, he was born as a delayed 5th child, too

late to take control of one of the family's business projects. With little chance to

advance as far as he saw fit within the family, Rashleigh joined the clergy of the

Sovereign Host by attending a religious studies program through Morgrave University. The

idea was that he would act as a priest to the family- bestowing Kol Korran's blessings on

their every endeavor. In his final year at the University, he is undertaking a field

internship as his final project before graduation. The goal, his advising professor has

just informed him, will be the recovery of a legendary ring from the continent of

Xen'drik. Given his family connections though and the unusual destination, it is nearly

certain that he will be asked to discretely transport something either to or from one of

the camps.

Last edited:

Bront said:
How are stats and HP being determined? How about Starting good/equipment?

I'll mention this thread in the PbP eberron thread I started that you posted.

QUOTE]

32 point buy

9000 gold to buy goodies

sorry- obvious question and I missed it

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases