[STAR WARS] The Circle Is Complete. Or is it?

Sebastian Francis

First Post
Am I crazy, or was Star Wars originally planned by Lucas as *three* trilogies, with the original films (New Hope, Empire, Jedi) being the middle trilogy???

I could swear I remember hearing that when I was in university about ten years ago, back when speculation was rampant about the possibility of Episodes 1-3.

Taelorn76

First Post
You are not crazy I remember hearing that as well several years back. Unfortunately, according to Lucas, there is no truth to those rumors. Although you never know. :uhoh:

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
If I really wanted to shove it in Lucas' face, I'd dig into my storage and find the old Starlog magazine interviews he did in '77 and '78 where he DID say 3 trilogies.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Conflicting Sources: Someone made note that in the recent DVD box set that three trilogies were mentioned, though many interviews with Lucas says he only planned two. A site called supershadow.com claims to have the basic outlines of Episodes 7 through 9 posted, straight from the pen of Lucas.

In truth, I don't know what to say.

EricNoah

Adventurer
The only issue I can see is that they let all of those people write the future history of the SW universe in all of those novels. I don't know that they'd want to just say "Ok, all of that is non-canon" like Splinter of the Mind's Eye or something.

I would love a look at the deep pre-history of the SW universe.

The thing is, Lucas always forbade Expanded Universe authors from touching subjects like the Clone Wars, and Luke & Leia's mother, because he wanted to make that material himself one day.

He never set up such a prohibition for what came after Return of the Jedi, in fact he worked with some of the later novel authors to eliminate things he objected to. In Zahn's famous Thrawn Trilogy, the Dark Jedi Master was originally going to be an evil clone of Obi-Wan Kenobi, until Lucas nixed the idea and Joruus C'boath was invented, while he adopted the name Coruscant for the Republic/Imperial capitol world from Zahn's novels (replacing his original Jhantor idea which was suppose to be a homage to Asimov's Trantor from the Foundation series).

Lucas certainly could have restricted authors from writing definiative novels set in the future if he wanted, and asked authors to only write side-stories set during the events of the movies or shortly before, like the Han Solo and Lando Calrissian Trilogies.

He may well have had vague ideas for a third trilogy at one point (of course, at one point in early development the hero was Annakin Starkiller, everybody carried lightsabers and Jedi were called Bendu, so things have changed since the early drafts), and realized that they just wouldn't work out right, and he was more interested in making the prequels so he let the "3rd Trilogy" idea die and focused on the backstory while he let authors play in the future (with him quietly looking on and occasionally nixing things he really didn't agree with).

Taelorn76

First Post
wingsandsword said:
while he adopted the name Coruscant for the Republic/Imperial capitol world from Zahn's novels (replacing his original Jhantor idea which was suppose to be a homage to Asimov's Trantor from the Foundation series).

Maybe I am misunderstanding you. But I am sure they mention Coruscant in the OT, and Zahn's book did not come out until the early 90s.

Taelorn76 said:
Maybe I am misunderstanding you. But I am sure they mention Coruscant in the OT, and Zahn's book did not come out until the early 90s.
Only in the special edition do they mention Coruscant, and even then, I think they show it rather than mention its name.

Personally, I think episodes 7-9 were never in much danger of becoming reality, even if Lucas did doodle around with ideas for them. And he probably wouldn't have made 1-3 either, except that as a quirk he wanted to call Star Wars episode 4, which begged the question of where 1-3 were.

Templeton580

Explorer
Han Solo makes a reference, "not the big Corellian ships, mind you..." in Ep. IV. Maybe that's what you're thinking of, 'cause there t'ain't no mention of Coruscant in the OT.

Remove ads