[FULL] Star Wars D20 Revised Episode III - Episode IV

Nephtys

First Post
Ambrus said:
Nephtys, wherefore art thou Nephtys? :\

So, uhm... Can we please get started soon? :heh:

Sorry, sorry. I've been having some problems with my internet connection, but everything seems to be in order now. I should be able to post my finished character later today.

Nephtys

First Post
:D

All I need now is a few feats and some equipment.

I figure that since I can't use the Force directly to inflict damage I'll have to find efficient ways of inflicting damage indirectly. Throwing things around with telekinesis to hurt people is clearly allowed, several Good characters have done that in the movies, but I want to refine it a little... I'm thinking grenades, bombs, chemical weapons.

It should be a lot easier to get a precise hit on a target when using telekinesis than by simply throwing the weapon, so it should be a viable tactic.

Is it?

How much damage do the different kinds of grenades inflict? Are there grenades that have different effect (sleep, teargas, concealment, burning, etc)?

Do I get any advantage for using the Force ["Use the Force Luke"], specifically telekinesis and battlemind, compared to just throwing them?

-

How about armour and shields? I'm guessing their bonuses don't stack with the classbonuses and the bonuses from using Force Defence.

Weapons? What kind of simple and primitive weapons are at my disposal? I'm guessing there is a long list, but I only need to know the objectively best of them (damage, range, cost).

Other equipment; Binoculars, infravision goggles, landmines, motion-detectors...?

-

For my three feats I'm thinking of picking up Iron Will (to save against those dark side points :uhoh: ), Improved Initiative, and either some kind of Spell Prodigy type feat, a weapon proficiency, or another Force Skill feat.

Ambrus

Explorer
I figure that since I can't use the Force directly to inflict damage I'll have to find efficient ways of inflicting damage indirectly. Throwing things around with telekinesis to hurt people is clearly allowed, several Good characters have done that in the movies,

Just because "good" characters do things in the movies doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing to do. Be careful. ;)

but I want to refine it a little... I'm thinking grenades, bombs, chemical weapons. It should be a lot easier to get a precise hit on a target when using telekinesis than by simply throwing the weapon, so it should be a viable tactic. Is it?

The Move Object skill's description states that it "isn't designed as a mode of attack." For one thing, it's fairly slow. Still, it can be used in that fashion to a limited degree. First of all, it requires a ranged attack roll using your BAB to hit a target so that'll be the same whether you throw an object or use the force to move it. The difference is that you don't benefit (or suffer) from a Dex bonus to hit so your attack roll may be lower (or higher) than if you just threw the object. Next is range. You can only move an object up to 4 meters x your Force Adept level (i.e. 12 meters). That's not bad, but you may be able to throw some things further than that with your arm. Next is speed. Throwing an object is a standard action, but attacking someone with a force moved object is a little more demanding so it requires a full round action to accomplish. Next is damage. Forced moved objects don't move very quickly and usually just bump into people, so they do very little damage but they are distracting (dazing targets for one round). Only really big objects do much damage when they hit (but probably less than you'd imagine). Once you're really skilled (and higher level) you can try to move people and really heavy objects around which you couldn't accomplish with your bare hands, and it isn't a bad tactic (though living creatures get a Will save). It seems to be what most characters in the movies (Palpatine, Yoda, Mace) try to do with the skill if they are able. Novice force users though (like Luke) usually just pull their lightsabers to their hands.

How much damage do the different kinds of grenades inflict? Are there grenades that have different effect (sleep, teargas, concealment, burning, etc)?

There are tree kinds of grenades listed in the Core Rules: the frag grenade (4d6+1; 4 m. radius), the stun grenade (stun; 4 m. radius) and the big kahuna; the thermal detonator (8d6+6; 8 m. radius). They also aren't what I'd call cheap (frag 500, stun 600, detonator 2k)

Do I get any advantage for using the Force ["Use the Force Luke"], specifically telekinesis and battlemind, compared to just throwing them?

"Telekinesis" is the Move Object skill and it works as I've described. Battlemind increases your BAB so it would improve your attack rolls with Move Object skill if you spent a move action to activate it before your full round action to attack someone with Move Object.

How about armour and shields? I'm guessing their bonuses don't stack with the class bonuses and the bonuses from using Force Defence.

We've already been over this. The class based defense bonuses aren't applied if you're wearing armor. There are no rules for shields in the Star Wars game that I can find, probably because they're hardly ever used in the movies (I can only recall gungans using them in all six movies).

Weapons? What kind of simple and primitive weapons are at my disposal? I'm guessing there is a long list, but I only need to know the objectively best of them (damage, range, cost).

Essentially the same list of simple weapons as in D&D with a few martial weapon additions. If you like damage potential, I'd go with spear and bow (both a 1d8) for a combined cost of 380 credits.

Other equipment; Binoculars, infra vision goggles, landmines, motion-detectors...?

It's all in there in one form or another (except maybe landmines).
Macrobinoculars (600 credits)
Sensor Pack (1500 credits)
A few other things you might want to acquire are:
Comlink (200 credits)
Field Kit (1000 credits) lots o good stuff in here

For my three feats I'm thinking of picking up Iron Will (to save against those dark side points ), Improved Initiative, and either some kind of Spell Prodigy type feat, a weapon proficiency, or another Force Skill feat.

Did you catch the Spellcaster feat I described to you in an earlier post?

Last edited:

Nephtys

First Post
Ambrus said:
Just because "good" characters do things in the movies doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing to do. Be careful. ;)

I guess not. Well, since my character is essentially self-trained I suppose I can make him juat as ignorant as I am myself about the accumulation and effects of dark side points.

Ambrus said:
The Move Object skill's description states that it "isn't designed as a mode of attack." For one thing, it's fairly slow. Still, it can be used in that fashion to a limited degree. First of all, it requires a ranged attack roll using your BAB to hit a target so that'll be the same whether you throw an object or use the force to move it. The difference is that you don't benefit (or suffer) from a Dex bonus to hit so your attack roll may be lower (or higher) than if you just threw the object. Next is range. You can only move an object up to 4 meters x your Force Adept level (i.e. 12 meters). That's not bad, but you may be able to throw some things further than that with your arm. Next is speed. Throwing an object is a standard action, but attacking someone with a force moved object is a little more demanding so it requires a full round action to accomplish. Next is damage. Forced moved objects don't move very quickly and usually just bump into people, so they do very little damage but they are distracting (dazing targets for one round). Only really big objects do much damage when they hit (but probably less than you'd imagine). Once you're really skilled (and higher level) you can try to move people and really heavy objects around which you couldn't accomplish with your bare hands, and it isn't a bad tactic (though living creatures get a Will save). It seems to be what most characters in the movies (Palpatine, Yoda, Mace) try to do with the skill if they are able. Novice force users though (like Luke) usually just pull their lightsabers to their hands.

Hmm. That's bad news, but I suppose it fits with the pacifistic nature of the non-dark side of the force.
Can I move objects around corners with Move Object?

Ambrus said:
There are tree kinds of grenades listed in the Core Rules: the frag grenade (4d6+1; 4 m. radius), the stun grenade (stun; 4 m. radius) and the big kahuna; the thermal detonator (8d6+6; 8 m. radius). They also aren't what I'd call cheap (frag 500, stun 600, detonator 2k)

"Telekinesis" is the Move Object skill and it works as I've described. Battlemind increases your BAB so it would improve your attack rolls with Move Object skill if you spent a move action to activate it before your full round action to attack someone with Move Object.

We've already been over this. The class based defense bonuses aren't applied if you're wearing armor. There are no rules for shields in the Star Wars game that I can find, probably because they're hardly ever used in the movies (I can only recall gungans using them in all six movies).

Essentially the same list of simple weapons as in D&D with a few martial weapon additions. If you like damage potential, I'd go with spear and bow (both a 1d8) for a combined cost of 380 credits.

It's all in there in one form or another (except maybe landmines).
Macrobinoculars (600 credits)
Sensor Pack (1500 credits)
A few other things you might want to acquire are:
Comlink (200 credits)
Field Kit (1000 credits) lots o good stuff in here

Ok, thanks :)

Ambrus said:
Did you catch the Spellcaster feat I described to you in an earlier post?

Yes, but it seems quite weak, especially since it's so easy to regain Vitality by using Heal Self. It seems that the Vitality cost would be a non-issue most of the time.

Nephtys

First Post
I've posted the character in the RG. There are still a couple of blanks to fill (Languages), and I don't have a picture, but she's ready for play. :)

Ambrus

Explorer
Can I move objects around corners with Move Object?

"You must be able to see the target object or creature to be moved, and it must be within 10 meters of your position to initially gather it up in the force."

Yes, but it seems quite weak, especially since it's so easy to regain Vitality by using Heal Self. It seems that the Vitality cost would be a non-issue most of the time.

Keep in mind that appearances can be deceiving. You haven't actually read the rulebook. Shadow and I have only sumarized the rules for your benefit so things may not work exactly as you imagined they do. Heal Self may not be the wellspring of endless force power that you may think it is. For instance, heal self can only be used once an hour to restore vitality points and once per day to restore wound points. Also, if you try to heal to much damage at once, it's possible you'll fail your skill check and actually injure yourself further. :uhoh:

Nephtys

First Post
Ambrus said:
Keep in mind that appearances can be deceiving. You haven't actually read the rulebook. Shadow and I have only sumarized the rules for your benefit so things may not work exactly as you imagined they do. Heal Self may not be the wellspring of endless force power that you may think it is. For instance, heal self can only be used once an hour to restore vitality points and once per day to restore wound points. Also, if you try to heal to much damage at once, it's possible you'll fail your skill check and actually injure yourself further. :uhoh:

So how much damage can I expect to heal relatively safely with a +10 to the check?

How much vitality does Force-use usually cost at my level with a +7 to +10 on the skill check?

Ambrus

Explorer
So how much damage can I expect to heal relatively safely with a +10 to the check?

DC 16-19 = 1d6+2 vitality

How much vitality does Force-use usually cost at my level with a +7 to +10 on the skill check?

Anywhere between 1 and 6 with a strong average of 3+.

Looking over your character quickly, I noticed a few things you may want to change/update to better mesh with the rules:

Your Strength entry is off. It should be [Str: 8/-1 (0 pts)]

About your feats: Your Skill Emphasis feat grants you a +3 competence bonus to your Heal Self skill checks rather than a +2. You also didn't add the +2 bonus from your Iron Will feat to your Will save (it should be +6 rather than +4).

Your skills: Your friendship skill seems to have an extra +2 bonus that is unaccounted for. Your Heal Self and Force Defense skill totals are one point to low. They should be [Force Defense: 8 (6+2)] and [Heal Self: 11 (6+2+3)]

Languages: As a human, you get Read/Write Basic and Speak Basic for free. With your intelligence you also get to pick three extra languages that you can either read/write or speak. If you want, you can use two of those "free" languages to write/read/speak one language.

For you equipment: Your "stiletto" in game terms is essentially a knife (25 credits; 1d4 damage; 2 m. range increment; 1 kg). You may want to add an attack/damage entry for it for your PC. Your starting clothes, as in D&D, are assumed to be free and your field kit includes an "All Temperature Cloak" for good measure (and probably doubles as a backpack). If you have money left over, you may want to purchase a credit chip (essentially an all purpose ATM/credit card) for 100 credits.

You may also want to mention somewhere that your character is human. ;)

For you character picture, you may want to check out this link: http://swagonline.net/search.php
It's a large gallery of fan created artwork for use in the Star Wars RPG. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Nephtys

First Post
Right you are.

Thanks a lot Ambrus :D, and thank you everyone else for your patience.

-
One more ;)

What are the major languages of the setting? I know there are millions, but the only ones I can come up with on a short notice are Huttese, Jawan, Ewok, Wookie and Geonosian. And I don't know if some of them (Huttese and Geonosian probably, if any) are singificant.

Last edited:

Remove ads