[FULL] Star Wars D20 Revised Episode III - Episode IV

Nephtys

First Post
Ambrus said:
What about it? The name says it all. It allows you to read a target's surface emotions.

So it gives a bonus to Sense Motive?

Ambrus said:
It'd probably be better to simply make new posts. This is why I contend that chatting in real time is easier and more efficient than posting back and forth. ;)

Fair enough, :).

Now, are there any more Feats that give bonuses to force skills? (except for Mind Trick)

Ambrus

Explorer
Nephtys said:
So it gives a bonus to Sense Motive?

It gives you the target's mood, attitude and emotional state. Afterwards, you get a force bonus on the next social skill check you make against the target within 10 minutes.

Nephtys said:
Now, are there any more Feats that give bonuses to force skills? (except for Mind Trick)

Yes, but I thought you didn't care for such skill bonus feats. :p
Instead of listing though, why don't you just decide which skills you'd like to have a bonus for and I'll search for an appropriate feat?

Nephtys

First Post
Ambrus said:
Yes, but I thought you didn't care for such skill bonus feats. :p
Instead of listing though, why don't you just decide which skills you'd like to have a bonus for and I'll search for an appropriate feat?

I care for such skill bonus feats, but not for the conventional (ex: Alertness) feats of that category. :)

Here are the skills I'm thinking of getting. I've already chosen Mind Trick as a bonus feat, but I need three more. If armour is useful (is it?) I might pick up an armour proficiency, or maybe a firearms proficiency for offensive capability.
These skills are pretty much equal to me, since I don't know the specifics on what they do, so I guess I need a feat that gives a bonus to as many of these skills as possible...

Friendship: 8 (6+2)
Enhance Ability: 8 (6+2)
Illusion: 8 (6+2)
Affect Mind: 8 (6+2)
Force Lightning: 9 (6+3)
Heal Another: 7 (6+1)
Heal Self: 8 (6+2)
Move Object: 9 (6+3)
Force Defense: 7 (6+1)
Battlemind: 8 (6+2)

Ambrus

Explorer
Nephtys said:
If armour is useful (is it?) I might pick up an armour proficiency

Well, heroic classes grant an ever increasing defense bonus if you remain unarmored, so unless you plan on wearing some fairly heavy armor then no, it isn't really worthwhile.

Nephtys said:
These skills are pretty much equal to me, since I don't know the specifics on what they do, so I guess I need a feat that gives a bonus to as many of these skills as possible...

The 'Attuned' feat boosts Enhance Ability and Heal Self.
The 'Mettle' feat boosts Battlemind and Force Defense.
That's about it. Also, keep in mind that there are lots of other force feats which grant other force related abilities or improve martial prowess, defense, speed, ect much like Psionic feats.

Nephtys

First Post
Ambrus said:
Well, heroic classes grant an ever increasing defense bonus if you remain unarmored, so unless you plan on wearing some fairly heavy armor then no, it isn't really worthwhile.

Good, it didn't really fot the concept anyway.

Ambrus said:
The 'Attuned' feat boosts Enhance Ability and Heal Self.
The 'Mettle' feat boosts Battlemind and Force Defense.
That's about it. Also, keep in mind that there are lots of other force feats which grant other force related abilities or improve martial prowess, defense, speed, ect much like Psionic feats.

They might both be worthwhile. The character has spent most of its points on the mental ability scores, so it might need Enhance Ability to boost the physical scores to be able to contribute in combat. Enhancing those ability scores would perhaps have the same effects as having a bit higher Battlemind or Force Defense. So if Enhance Ability does what I think it does I guess I'll pick Attuned.
Maybe I'm totally wrong about all this. Maybe my character simply isn't suited to physical combat because of the low ability scores and the focus on skillcasting. Maybe I shouldn't try to patch up my weaknesses and instead go with my strengths. I can't make that asessment. What do you think?

28pt buy
Str: 8/-2 (2 pts)
Dex: 10/+0 (2 pts)
Con: 14/+2 (6 pts)
Int: 16/+3 (10pts)
Wis: 12/+1 (4 pts)
Cha: 14/+2 (6 pts)

Ambrus

Explorer
Nephtys said:
Maybe I'm totally wrong about all this. Maybe my character simply isn't suited to physical combat because of the low ability scores and the focus on skillcasting. Maybe I shouldn't try to patch up my weaknesses and instead go with my strengths. I can't make that asessment. What do you think?

Honestly, I've never played the kind of character you're building so I don't really know how effective it'll be. Same thing for my droid. The general design philosophy behind the D20 system usually advocates optimizing your character's strong points rather than putting your building ressources into covering your character's short-comings.

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Nephtys... I'll give you a little GM's insight on this one. So far, it seems you are trying to cover more bases than are on the field. Perhaps if you chose a focus, which in this case seems to be a mind affecting sorcerer, keep your skills and feats tied to that. We have more than enough 'toughs' to do the combat that will most certainly take place. Perhaps your character could be the one that supports these guys with the healing and dealing with NPCs... Just a thought. Especially since you haven't spent any points on 'normal' skills....

Ambrus

Explorer
Nephtys... I just remembered a feat for Force Adepts called Spellcasting which may mesh with your character concept. Basically, it represents various traditions of some cultures in which the force is believed to be magic. These spellcasters manifest their force abililties by "casting" spells. Essentially, manifesting a force skill becomes a full-round action that provokes an attack of oppurtunity rather than a standard action but lowers the vitality cost of all such skills by 1 point. Interested?

Ambrus

Explorer
Shadowbloodmoon... I've been working on my droid PC and I believe I have all the nuts and bolts worked out. Please take a look at my entry in the Rogue's Gallery and let me know if it all makes sense and whether there's anything I should change. All the new equipment I've installed balances weight-wise (within 10 grams) of the DRK-1's listed stock equipment so I'm considering that it can all occupy the vacated space within the chasis so the droid won't look any different at first sight. I've also followed you monetary guidelines and I end up with a spare 15 credits to my name. Yay me! I've also made a series of images of my droid showing where everything is installed and what it looks like with some of the instruments deployed and visible. There are links for the images in light orange throughout my PC write-up. Please check them out, I'm quite pleased with them. ;)

All that I'm missing is a alphanumeric name and the specifics of my character background. I didn't get much in the way of feedback on the ideas I posted originally. I'd like to know a bit more about the planet we're starting on and some specifics about the Seperatists who live there at first. Who/what are they exactly? How many are there? What are they doing there? How long have they been there? Anything you can offer would help me. Thanks! ;)

I'm really starting to get exited about this new campaign, especially the oppurtunity to play by chat on occasion. W00T! :D

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
I took a look earlier at your droid, and so far, everything seems to be in order. Those picture are really nice, Visual Dictionary nice. I'm impressed. What program did you use to make those?

As far as naming conventions go, since during the first part of the campaign you will be starting on the side of the Separatists, they usually give their droids unit numbers. Meaning that you could be Unit 314 for instance. This if course could change later and someone less focused on pragmatic logic could call you 'Dark Eye', 'Blackball', or 'Sphere of Annihilation'....

For background, I'm not going to mention which planet we're on just yet because I know some of you have heard of it... However, that being said, the planet was at one time a human outpost. During the Separatists' main assault, this was one of their targeted planets. Currently, they have installed an outpost simply to keep control of the planet and its comparatively tiny sentient population, of which some of the other PCs are a member of... Your position currently would probably be as a recon/ spy droid. Making sure that one, the natives aren't growing restless and two, that the Republic doesn't try to land here secretly. This job of course was given to you specifically because of your Independent Thought Matrix. Unfortunately, ITM's don't include loyalty inhibitors... Just some thoughts to get you going.

I'm glad you are as excited as I am. I can't wait to get you guys started up... Nephtys, how's it coming on your Force Adept?

Remove ads