Requesting Paladin build advice

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Justin said:
I was going by HeroForge and the fact that www.d20srd.org shows a 1st level Aasimar warrior with 1d8 HD.

Am I overlooking something?

WARRIOR

Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills
The warrior’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Ride (Dex), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

-Hyp.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
Did you mean to say "since smite damage doesn't increase? Because I'm (fairly) sure that Smite damage does indeed multiply on a critical hit...

I meant that smite damage doesn't increase with Knight of the Chalice levels. It certainly multiplies on critical hits.

A single-class paladin or paladin/templar who takes extra smiting gets 10 points of damage at 10th level, and 20 points of damage per smite at 20th level.

A paladin 10/knight of the chalice 10 who takes extra smiting gets 10 points of damage at 10th level (pal 10) and 10 points of damage at 20th level.

So, extra smiting is clearly a much better ability for a single classed paladin than for a paladin who's diluted his smiting ability.

If I recall my analysis, the difference between a knight of the chalice character's smite ability and a single-classed paladin's smite was enough to mostly eliminate the advantage of a scimitar over a longsword.

Similarly, Demonslaying applies to every attack and thus benefits two weapon fighting characters more than one-weapon characters.

Justin

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
WARRIOR

Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills
The warrior’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Ride (Dex), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

-Hyp.

Ah, I was thinking Fighter even though it said (and I typed) Warrior.

So now I'm a bit confused. Since an Aasimar is LA +1, and the rest of the party is level 12, should he be a Pal11 or Pal12? What is his 1st level?

Thanks,

Justin

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
His first level IS Assimar. That however isn't included when he gains class levels. He'd be a Pal11, not Pal12.

Justin

Explorer
Nightfall said:
His first level IS Assimar. That however isn't included when he gains class levels. He'd be a Pal11, not Pal12.
Then I think I'm misinterpreting the SRD (I don't have a Monster Manual):

SRD said:
Humanoids and Class Levels
Creatures with 1 or less HD replace their monster levels with their character levels. The monster loses the attack bonus, saving throw bonuses, skills, and feats granted by its 1 monster HD and gains the attack bonus, save bonuses, skills, feats, and other class abilities of a 1st-level character of the appropriate class.

Other Statistics for Monsters
Creatures with Hit Dice of 1 or less have normal, class-based Hit Dice and features. They get skills and feats appropriate to a 1st-level character (even if they have a level adjustment).
:\

Last edited:

Nightfall

Right well there are SLIGHT differences between the two. The point is when you have something that gives LA +1 you are not a 12th level Paladin. You are a 11th Paladin. I'm reasonable sure Hypersmurf will agree with me.

Justin

Explorer
I do understand that being a creature with LA +1 entails giving up a class level in place of other benefits, I'm just missing something in the explanation of the mechanics as to how to correctly generate such a character.

Nightfall

Justin,

It's real simple. You generate a NORMAL character with all the skills, feats, etc of a 11th paladin. That's all. You are just treated as 12th for encounters, CR stuff, and I believe both treasure and starting gold for characters above 1st level.

That's the way I've done with characters of LAs greater than say +1.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Nightfall said:
His first level IS Aasimar.

Hmm? No, it's Paladin.

He's a Paladin-11 with a +1 LA, making him an ECL 12 character, just like all the other characters.

He has 11 Paladin hit dice, since his single outsider racial hit die gets traded for his first paladin hit die.

-Hyp.

Remove ads