Magical Monk

Squid Bait

First Post
I have yet another monk related question. With any luck, this one will not escalate to the point of my "Claw, Claw, Bite, Karate Chop?" post.

As per the PHB (pg 41)...

A monk?s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons (such as the magic fang and magic weapon spells).

and PHB (pg 250)...

Magic fang gives one natural weapon of the subject a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls.

So, would all of the unarmed strike attacks of a monk (punch, kick, elbow, Vulcan nerve pinch, etc.) be enhanced by one casting of magic fang?

Assuming the answer to that question is yes, How many castings of magic fang would it take to completely "beef up" the ever popular centaur monk? (My guess is three.)

Thanks

Squid Bait said:
So, would all of the unarmed strike attacks of a monk (punch, kick, elbow, Vulcan nerve pinch, etc.) be enhanced by one casting of magic fang?

"Unarmed Strike" counts as a single weapon, whether you're kicking, punching, elbowing, or Vulcan nerve pinching.

Accordingly, you need only 1 Magic Weapon or Magic Fang spell to enhance it.

Assuming the answer to that question is yes, How many castings of magic fang would it take to completely "beef up" the ever popular centaur monk? (My guess is three.)

The centaur monk you references has weapons:

1. Unarmed Strike
2. Two hoofs

SRD said:
and 2 hooves +3 melee (1d6+2)

Each hoof is a separate natural weapon.

Accordingly, he'll need three Magic Fang spells to get everything enhanced.

Note:

Notice the difference between, say, a Raven and an Eagle.

SRD said:
Full Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2–5)

SRD said:
Full Attack: 2 talons +3 melee (1d4) and bite –2 melee (1d4)

The raven has a single natural attack with his feet. So, he needs one Magic Fang spell to enhance both of his feat.

The eagle has a two natural attacks with his feet - one for each. So, he needs two Magic Fang spells to enhance both of his feat.

Squid Bait

First Post
Cool, I was right for once :)

Now let me know what you think of this.

A monk pays a 20th level caster to throw Greater Magic Fang on his unarmed strike, thus granting a +5 enhancement bonus to hit and damage. He then gets a 20th level caster to toss on a permanency. Cost for Greater Magic Fang is 20x30=600. Cost for permanency is (20x50=1000 + 1500x5=7500)=8500. For a total cost of 9100 the monk has some big guns that are practically undispellable, and he got them at a fraction of the usual fee of 50,000 for +5. I also realize a DM can veto this by saying such casters are not available, but in a higher level setting, that won't stick.

P.S. I am not usually this cheesy when creating a character, but my group's current campaign seems to be getting a bit "meta". So, with most of the non cheese wielding characters dying at least once per session, I figured it was time to join the Munchkin Legions.

Squid Bait

First Post
Actually, my build is a werebear monk, I used the centaur because it seems to be everyone's favorite example. But yes, If money allows I'll pimp out my claw, claw, bite, as well.

IcyCool

First Post
Squid Bait said:
For a total cost of 9100 the monk has some big guns that are practically undispellable, and he got them at a fraction of the usual fee of 50,000 for +5. I also realize a DM can veto this by saying such casters are not available, but in a higher level setting, that won't stick.

Be aware that in a higher level setting, those aren't as un-dispellable as you think. And once they're dispelled, they're gone.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Well, they can't be hit by a normal dispel magic, but they could be hit by a targeted greater dispel magic so a ring of counterspells with a greater dispel magic in it would be very useful and worth the money.

moritheil

First Post
Squid Bait said:
Ohhh... I forgot about Greater Dispel. Good catch Infiniti2000. Ring of Counterspells is now on my shopping list.

What level is your char? You can be disjoined, can't you? And at 20ish (well, you're talking about running into L.20 NPC mages plausibly), enemies will have access to it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases