Design this monster and win a prize!

Kunimatyu

First Post
The other day I purchased a few Mage Knight plastic figures to rip off of their bases and use as monsters for D&D. Most were fairly standard ogres and trolls and the like, but this guy stood out of the group.

MKOM_004.jpg

It's a Large size three-eyed flying monster, and though you can't see it in the picture, it has three tails; one longer one with what appears to be a stinger/spine, and two smaller tails.

I haven't quite decided what this monster is and what it does, so I'd like to enlist your help in figuring out. Just to add a small incentive, I'll offer the person who comes up with the best monster design the funds for an EN Critters pdf of their choice(probably via paypal, unless I can think of a better way)

The Rules: (more like guidelines, really)

0. Entries should use the D&D 3.5 monster format.

1. The CR should be within 5-15. Low level monsters are too easy to make, and high level monsters don't get used as often.

2. The winner will be determined in one of two ways. Assuming at least 20 entries but not a whole lot more, I'll just pick the most interesting one. If there are 30+, I'll pick 4-6 designs I like and create a poll to let people decide the winner. If there are very few (<10) entries and none of the monster designs are ones I like, I'll drop the contest.

3. One monster submission per user. No editing of monster posts, though you may post one revision later in the thread if you wish.

4. I'm going to end the contest on Wednesday at 8PM Eastern time.

5. I'm primarily looking for a creative, well-designed monster that works well on the game table. The entry that best fits this criteria will probably be the winner, or in the case of a poll, be more likely to make it onto that poll.

Have fun! I'm really interested to see what the collective minds of ENWorld will be able to come up with.

Here's my entry:

Stone Tyrant
Medium Aberration (Earth)
Hit Dice:
10d8+20 (65 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), Fly 60 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 23 (+3 Dex, +10 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+9
Attack: Bite +9 melee (2d8+2) and Eye Ray +10 ranged touch; or Tail Sting +9 melee (1d6+2 plus poison) and Eye Ray +10 ranged touch
Full Attack: Bite +9 melee (2d8+2) and 3 Tail Stings +7 melee (1d6+1 plus poison) and Eye Ray +10 ranged touch
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Eye rays, poison
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., freeze
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +9
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 11
Skills: Hide +11*, Listen +11, Spot +11
Feats: Dodge, Flyby Attack, Multiattack
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, pair, or wing (5–16)
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: 11-14 HD (Medium); 15-20 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

The creator of the little-known Stone Tyrants is a mystery, although the intent with which they were made is clear. Modeled after both the Eye Tyrant and the Gargoyle (along with a few other surprises), Stone Tyrants were created to be vicious guardians who would be a match for any enemy.
(See Picture for Description)
Stone Tyrants speak Common and Terran.
COMBAT
A Stone Tyrant typically stands still before executing a surprise attack, using its Enervation or Exhaustion Ray to weaken a target before attempting to Petrify it. It keeps its distance if it can, but if it must, it tries to stab an opponent with its tails, allowing its poison to work before closing around its opponent's body with its toothy maw.
A Stone Tyrant's natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Eye Rays (Su): A Stone Tyrant's eyes can produce three different magical rays with a range of 100 feet. Each round, it can fire one ray as a free action. A particular ray is usable only once every 3 rounds. A Stone Tyrant can fire an eye ray in the same round that it makes physical attacks. The save DC for all rays is 15. The save DC is Charisma-based.
The three eye effects are:
Enervation: Target gains 1d4 negative levels (as per Enervation).
Exhaustion: The target must succeed on a Fortitude save or become exhausted (as per Ray of Exhaustion).
Petrification: The target must succeed on a Fortitude save or turn to stone permanently.
Freeze (Ex): A Stone Tyrant can hold itself so still it appears to be a statue. An observer must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice the Stone Tyrant is really alive.
Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 17, initial damage 1d6 Dex, secondary damage 1d6 Dex. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Skills: Stone Tyrantss have a +2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks. *The Hide bonus increases by +8 when a Stone Tyrant is concealed against a background of stone.

Oh, addendum note, I suppose the typical Stone Tyrant would be medium size, whereas your figure (since you said it was Large) would simply be an advanced version of the critter :) (Gotta cover my bases ;))

Edit-My bad, it's also missing a feat. I suppose I'd give it Improved Initiative, but I'll save that for a later revision after I've spent a moment looking at it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases