Painting Miniatures Guide

pogre

Legend
Zulithe said:
Thanks so much pogre. This is an invaluable resource. There are several painting guides online but yours lays it out in a clear, concise way.

Hey you're welcome!

The truth is I use it as I'm painting and as I need/find new stuff I just throw it up on my list.

I welcome any and all additions you might bring to the table. If you find a cool painting article on the web by all means mention it and I'll try to get it up here.

Shape D.

First Post
hey pogre, Would you be able to tell us what brands of paint brushes, or paints you would reccomend. I currently use atlas brushes myself but I'm just wondering if theres anything else out there that would be worth a try.

pogre

Legend
Shape D. said:
hey pogre, Would you be able to tell us what brands of paint brushes, or paints you would reccomend. I currently use atlas brushes myself but I'm just wondering if theres anything else out there that would be worth a try.

Hey Shape D.!

I will frankly admit to a bit of snobbery in this area. I use Vallejo paints and Windsor & Newton #7 Kolinsky Miniature brushes. ASW Express is the best deal for these brushes I've found. They are not cheap, but use one and you will know why EVERY major painter uses them. They are dream to work with!

I'm less adamant about the paint. I have seen people do a nice job with craft paints from Walmart. It can be done - but it is more work. Formulated miniature paints are most certainly worth the money and my personal preference is for Vallejo.

I recently had the opportunity to use some of Reaper's new line of paints - The Master Series Paints. I liked them a lot - they use a tri-color system that systemizes shading and hilighting. If I did not have a full set of the Vallejo I would collect more of them.

These suggestions I have made are not cheap, but let me give you something cheap that will last forever and you will love. Go to an art & hobby store and grab a silicoil brush rinse jar. It should run you about $4.00 and very effectively clean your brushes. I have one I bought five years ago and it continues to work very well for me.

Good luck - I hope these comments were helpful to you. Remember, these are not laws - just opinions - although the comments about kolinsky brushes are more like laws :D

Last edited:

Shape D.

First Post
pogre said:
Hey Shape D.!

I will frankly admit to a bit of snobbery in this area. I use Vallejo paints and Windsor & Newton #7 Kolinsky Miniature brushes. ASW Express is the best deal for these brushes I've found. They are not cheap, but use one and you will know why EVERY major painter uses them. They are dream to work with!
Those seem like they are about the same price as what I'd pay for other brushes at a gaming store. I'll give 'em a try though. The paints I use now are mainly reapers pro-paints and the citidel paints from games workshop.

pogre said:
Go to an art & hobby store and grab a silicone coil brush rinse jar. It should run you about $4.00 and very effectively clean your brushes. I have one I bought five years ago and it continues to work very well for me.
I've gone into four stores now in my city and they all look at me like I've been spraying loads of primer in an enclosed area. (although I get that fairly often)
g749.jpg
is this the thing your talking about? If so I'll give one a try.

And thanks for your advice and starting this thread. Its helping already.

pogre

Legend
Yeah - silicoil - that's what I meant - jeez sorry about that! I just ordered some silicone for a project I'm working on and must have had it on the brain - sorry for the misdirection!

I also put up a new link to a tutorial on hair that rocks!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases