Painting Miniatures Guide

pogre

Legend
Added a really interesting article on using dry pigments and pastels to weather paint jobs, especially metallics. This is something the top military painters do a lot, but I have not seen cross over much into the fantasy side of the hobby. I'm tempted to pick some of these up and give them a try. Oh, who am I kidding? I'm going to order some - I'll let you know how it goes.

The link for those not wanting to wade through the first post:
The Secrets of Using MIG pigments to enhance your models

pogre

Legend
I just went through the links. I had to delete a couple of articles I could no longer find. Fantazation is reorganizing their website, so when they're done I'll fix those links.

Brushthralls site was reorganized a while ago and I fixed all of those links.

My basing article over at d20 magazine rack lacks pictures - so I probably will have to put the article up on my site, but until then I left the link in place.

If you find any other problem links let me know.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Got a dipping question. Will that work over an already painted and varnished figure? Where do you get that stuff and do you know anything that will work as well as that minwax polyshade Tudor?

Doug Sundseth

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Got a dipping question. Will that work over an already painted and varnished figure?

It has to be painted before dipping, but varnish will make the details less defined and reduce the wash effect.

Flexor the Mighty! said:
Where do you get that stuff and do you know anything that will work as well as that minwax polyshade Tudor?

I found Tudor at Home Depot, but I haven't looked recently. As to a replacement, I know quite a few people who have used Future floor wax (which is a clear acrylic) and tinted with acrylic paints. The result is pretty bullet-proof.

pogre

Legend
Doug Sundseth said:
It has to be painted before dipping, but varnish will make the details less defined and reduce the wash effect.

I found Tudor at Home Depot, but I haven't looked recently. As to a replacement, I know quite a few people who have used Future floor wax (which is a clear acrylic) and tinted with acrylic paints. The result is pretty bullet-proof.

I've used other dip colors, like walnut and oak - neither gives the same kind of shadowing.

I like using tinted Future Floor Wax for certain application. Be warned, if it chips - it is a huge chip. I had this happen on a few orcs and really fired me up a few years ago.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
1) Great thread. It really helped me to start this stuff.
2) Thanks pogre, for compiling all the stuff and keeping it up-to-date.
3) This tutorial on eyes is useful for painting eyes, at least it worked for me better than the other techniques, right now. In any case, one can at least try it.

Cheers, LT.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases