Painting Miniatures Guide

pogre

Legend
Lord Tirian said:
1) Great thread. It really helped me to start this stuff.
2) Thanks pogre, for compiling all the stuff and keeping it up-to-date.
3) This tutorial on eyes is useful for painting eyes, at least it worked for me better than the other techniques, right now. In any case, one can at least try it.

Cheers, LT.

Thanks LT, I added it to the list. That is the opposite of how I do eyes, but worthy of consideration because my method takes more brush control. Darin Hlavaz is a talented guy!

pogre

Legend
Posted a tutorial on scratch building wings from Necrotales. The wings are so cool looking I'm looking for a project I can use them for!

Shape D.

First Post
pogre said:
Posted a tutorial on scratch building wings from Necrotales. The wings are so cool looking I'm looking for a project I can use them for!
Awesome link, This thread gets better every time I check it.

That and my painting got a lot better after checking out a lot of these links. Thanks Pogre!!

frankthedm

First Post
This thread should be stickied!

Well since that ain't happening, I'll bump it with a quick tip...

[sblock=Making a wedding cake pillar into a flight stand]
Making a wedding cake pillar into a flight stand

Take wedding cake pillar and saw off any preexisting base. Give pillar rough break at height you want to attach the mini at {Plan now for how high you want the fig off the ground and how balancing might be an issue ]

Glue figure to regulation base for game it will be used in.

Fill hollow pillar with cheap weight, rocks and sand can work well. Near the top, use a non water based glue to seal the weight in. Use normal filler on top of pillar.

In your order of preference, paint and assemble the figure.

pillarbasexm4.gif
[/sblock]

pogre

Legend
Cool idea Frank!

I've done the same basic thing with Hirst Arts columns and arches.

I also weeded out a few dead links from Fantization, which are apparently not coming back.

Last edited:

WhatGravitas

Explorer
pogre said:
I also weeded out a few dead links from Fantization, which are apparently not coming back.
Also: The link to Jen Haley's tutorial on faces isn't working, because she closed down her old page.

Her new page has articles on (so far):
Painting Faces
Painting Freehands
Choosing & Using Brushes

Though I get the feeling that all of them are more advanced and harder for a beginner, since they already require a larger painting palette and good brush control. But I don't think it's totally wrong to add them.

Cheers, LT.

pogre

Legend
Thanks LT - I stole the new links and put them on the 1st post. I also took down my articles from d20zine as it is pretty much gone.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases