Petrification

Scharlata

First Post
Hi, stony victims of a gaze attack!

1.) Is there an entry for "petrification" in the Core Books/SRD other than in the MM, Gaze Attacks? In any other splat book [WotC]?

2.) Does a victim of a petrifying gaze attack have to make a Fortitude save DC 15 to survive the retransformation into a living creature (as described in the Stone to Flesh spell) if it is subjected to a Break Enchantment?

3.) What is the caster level of a gaze attack in general?

4.) Is it save to assume that a petrifying gaze attack has a caster level of 11 (for purposes of determining the caster level check, see Break Enchantment)? [I'm assuming the petrifying gaze attack is similar to the 6th-level spell Flesh to Stone.]

Thanx for your consideration.

Viashimo

First Post
There's a mention of it in the DMG 3.5e
A petrified character has been turned to stone and is considered unconcious. If the petrified character is cracked or broken, but the pieces are joined to the body as he returns to flesh, he is unarmed. If the character's petrified body is incomplete when it returns to flesh, the body is like-wise incomplete and the DM must assign some amount of permanent hit point loss and/or debilitation.

This doesn't really help from the point of view of questions, I'm not sure what other mentions are made.

2) No, because the spell doesn't mention that a save is required. -or- Yes, because it could be seen as the same effect as stone to flesh, though I'm vouching for no.

3) *shrug* it's not mentioned in some of the entries, but between basilisk and abyssale basilisk, most of the save DC difference is due to hit dice, only some due to charisma. So perhaps the HD of the monster using the gaze attack is the caster level for the spell.

4) You could use it that way, if you want.

Hope this helps a bit.

Infiniti2000

First Post
2. No.

3a. Spell-like abilities: "If no caster level is specified, the caster level is equal to the creature’s Hit Dice."
3b. Supernatural abilities: "Unless otherwise noted, a supernatural ability has an effective caster level equal to the creature’s Hit Dice."

4. No, read #3 above.

Scharlata

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
3a. Spell-like abilities: "If no caster level is specified, the caster level is equal to the creature’s Hit Dice."
3b. Supernatural abilities: "Unless otherwise noted, a supernatural ability has an effective caster level equal to the creature’s Hit Dice."

4. No, read #3 above.

Where can I find those entries?

Thank you both ;)

Scharlata

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:

Thanx very much...

And this is the reply from CustServ.

Hmmm.... ;)

CustServ said:
1. Petrifaction can be found on page 301 of the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide as well as well as a brief description on page 311 of the 3.5 Player's Handbook.

2. Break Enchantment does not state that you would need to make the DC 15 check, so you would not unless the DM wishes to change this.

3. If the entry for the creature does not state what the caster level of the ability is, then you would consider it the lowest possible caster level as if they could cast the spell. So petrification would be the lowest possible level to cast flesh to stone, so the caster level for that gaze attack would be 11th.

4. Yes. Unless the entry for the creature states otherwise, you would use 11 as the caster level of that ability.

Kind regards

Infiniti2000

First Post
That's quite funny. :lol:

I've shown that #3 and #4 are clearly wrong and they did not help with #1 at all. By the way, Lords of Madness might have some extra gaze attack info (I do not have it) and I'm sure the BoVD does (some feats, etc.), so I recommend flipping through them at the FLGS and see if they meet with your approval.

Scharlata

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
That's quite funny. :lol:

I've shown that #3 and #4 are clearly wrong and they did not help with #1 at all. By the way, Lords of Madness might have some extra gaze attack info (I do not have it) and I'm sure the BoVD does (some feats, etc.), so I recommend flipping through them at the FLGS and see if they meet with your approval.

Ah, thanx again!
LoM, BoVD and Savage Species with all that Irresistible Gaze feats....
Kind regards

P.S.: It's very funny :lol:

Remove ads