Where are all the fantasy movies?

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
Joshua Dyal said:
You're right! You don't know what sword and sorcery is!

Can you define it? That would be more helpfull, as I seem to be ignorant as well as to what sword and sorcery is. To me it, it has always been a mix of a pseudo-medieval setting, fantastic elements such as magical races and wielders of magic. If that is not it, I would very much like to know what sword and sorcery is.:(

Captain Tagon

First Post
Sword and Sorcery, a term usually ascribed to Fritz Leiber who first used the phrase in 1960, refers to a sub-genre of fantasy which deals with the swashbuckling exploits of violent, amoral swordsmen and their (often) bloody confrontations with agents of evil in imaginary lands. Whereas heroic fantasy emphasizes the valiant struggle of the hero to overcome these supernatural forces, Sword-and-Sorcery focuses on the darker, more sinister and often brutal nature of that struggle. The emphasis is almost always on the might of the sword as contrasted with the power of magic

Full article can be found at http://www.towson.edu/~flynn/swordsor.html

Tamlyn

Explorer
David Howery said:
OK, let's hijack this thread a little, and ask another question.... what fantasy novels do you think would make a good S&S movie? QUOTE]

The Eyes of the Dragon by Steven King wouldn't make a bad flick. Plus it's got some mainstream pull to help promote it. The Shanarra series is a possibility (I'd rather watch those than read them anyway). I would love to see A Song of Ice and Fire done, but there's no way they would do justice to the level of intrigue in the books.

~Tam

Captain Tagon

First Post
The Shanarra books could be fun. But that'd be a pretty obvious clone of LotR. Plus you'd have to decide which of the books to make into movies. But I'd go see it.

buzz

Adventurer
I think that Feist's Magician could work. It's another Tolkien rip-off of sorts, but it's also different enough in many ways. Probably would work best as a mini-series, though.

Wouldn't mind seeing a good writer/director take a crack at Amber, either...

I think of series of Lankhmar movies would most verily rock. May have to do a bit of clever screenwriting to hash together some of the stories into something that worked as a movie screenplay, but maybe not.

I'm still surprised none of the D&D settings has had any movies done, though. We get a D&D movie finally, and it's just some schmuck's homebrew. What a wasted opportunity to really build some brand identity.

not to get too nitpicky here, but howinhell can LOTR not be considered S&S? It has a medieval setting with magic and warriors. Isn't S&S pretty much the same as what we call fantasy? If not, just what's the difference (it'd have to be a really fine line...)...

Captain Tagon

First Post
David Howery said:
not to get too nitpicky here, but howinhell can LOTR not be considered S&S? It has a medieval setting with magic and warriors. Isn't S&S pretty much the same as what we call fantasy? If not, just what's the difference (it'd have to be a really fine line...)...

It is a difference mainly in tone. Check the link I listed above.

But in S&S there are certain tropes that LotR doesn't fit as it is instead high fantasy.

Swashbuckling heroes? Not really.
Test of might versus magic? Again, not really.
Dark and gritty tone? Not at all.
Magic in the hands of only the bad guys? Nope, not here.

Remove ads