Where are all the fantasy movies?

Captain Tagon

First Post
Rackhir said:
The set design and costuming was absolutely gorgeous. The best I've seen since Dune. The rest of it is a very enjoyable action flick. Well worth a watch.

Good deal. I'll throw that in my Netflix Queue for once I finish up watching Alias and Babylon 5.

Captain Tagon said:
I missed that one. I really enjoyed Pitch Black though and I keep meaning to see Chronicles. Was it any good?
Not bad, especially if your expectations around it are low.

It got a lot worse word of mouth than was deserved, though. As a straight-up S&S but set in space flick, I can see how that works.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Captain Tagon said:
I googled it but mainly just found links to book reviews or to message boards. Interestingly enough, the first link to pop up on google is a link to an EN World thread discussing Blue Rose.
That EN World thread is where I brought up the "well-wrought tale" . . .

Warrior Poet

Explorer
Captain Tagon said:
I missed that one. I really enjoyed Pitch Black though and I keep meaning to see Chronicles. Was it any good?
My experience on leaving the theater was, "That was kind of fun, but I don't need to see any more movies related to this franchise."

Warrior Poet

Last edited:

Warrior Poet

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
I think of series of Lankhmar movies would most verily rock.
Agreed. I'd get some unknown actors ('course, that's what I always say) and really do it up right: Sheelba, Ningauble, sinking lands, Gods of Lankhmar, Issek, cold women, tower of thieves, the works.

buzz said:
I think that Feist's Magician could work.
I'm not a fan of Feist's writing, so my opinion isn't very kind, but those books read like a recap of the previous week's D&D game in someone's homebrew. There are top-quality story hours on these boards written better than those books. But, maybe they'd make decent movies. :\

buzz said:
It's another Tolkien rip-off of sorts, but it's also different enough in many ways. Probably would work best as a mini-series, though.
Or as coasters.

Warrior Poet

Jhamin

First Post
Captain Tagon said:

The main thing is that it wasn't Pitch Black 2. I saw Pitch Black as a character drama with a disaster setting. CoRiddick did not have alot of these elements.

Chronicles of Riddick was a S&S/Barbiarian flick set in outer space. On that level, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
It sounds like Swords & Sorcery can be defined as "bad fantasy."

It's not a definition that I can agree with, but it seems the popular choice. For my money LoTR is certainly S&S, though of a high level of quailty.

On another note, I think Lankhmar would work awesomely as a HBO or Showtime series. That gives you the chance to build the characters, and to have some of the R-rated elements necessary to do the stories justice. But that comes from the guy who thought the only way to do LoTR was as a big-budget mini-series...

Kid Charlemagne said:
It sounds like Swords & Sorcery can be defined as "bad fantasy."
:eek: Huh? What sounds like that? How are you basing that?
Kid Charlemagne said:
It's not a definition that I can agree with, but it seems the popular choice. For my money LoTR is certainly S&S, though of a high level of quailty.
LotR lacks the essential elements that define S&S as separate from Heroic Fantasy, so it could never be S&S.

Captain Tagon

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
:eek: Huh? What sounds like that? How are you basing that?

That's probably all from me as the biggest and most famous S&S is Conan and I really don't like Conan at all so there is something of a bias there when I talk about S&S.

Remove ads