HellHound's Maps - Underdark and Beyond (13 Maps)

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Our underdark campaign is about to start to revolve around an ancient subterrainean ocean, and I had some spare time in the van today while the gelflings were at dance class so I started making maps for the various locations we'll be using.

I'm not a great map maker, I'd classify myself as "Fair". But I love making them.

So here's the first in the set - I'll probably post two versions of each, one plain B&W as I draw them, and one on parchment with some notes thrown in.

Some of the quality settings for the JPG images may suffer in the process of keeping the files below 242k in total size, mind you.

Attachments

• map 1 on parchment.jpg
    map 1 on parchment.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 1,132
  • map1.jpg
    map1.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:

Nifty.

How are you envisioning the Underdark? Is it the traditional bare caverns that stretch for miles in darkness? Are the tunnels are carved by ancient Dwarves? In my setting, the 'Underdark' is the remnants of tunnels burrowed by the ancient worm that shaped the world, and it has its own ecosystem fueled by all the dying things on the surface from above and the rising warmth of magma from below. Caverns covered with mats of fungal grass are more common than those of plain stone.

The map is very crisp, and I've always been a fan of the hatching technique for marking walls and such. Very nice.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
This particular campaign is classic D&D, so the underdark is a huge set of caverns... Seems that the gods created the world with a LOT of limestone it it, and then the ancient floods washed much of it away. Or something like that.

It's a campaign I threw together when my players were asking to play "morally ambiguous" characters, so it's based out of a Skullport variant, and includes a lot of underdark adventures, and will lead into the City of the Spider Queen module soon.

Remove ads