How do you map? (DMing advice needed)

Felnar

First Post
how do you DM's map for your players?
specifically, how do you map interiors and dungeons?

do you draw it out for them?
do you tell them what to draw? (ie. "the corridor goes 20ft north then turns left")
do you give them exact measurments? (ie. how precise do you get without the PCs physically measuring lengths)
do you use a grid? (ie. corridors are all north-south or east-west, 5ft increments)
how do you limit their meta-gaming abilities?

Currently i'm writing an adventure that features a maze/labyrinth, and when i "test run" how the exploration will go, i find that as the maze is mapped, it becomes clear that significant sections are obvious dead ends. My map is on a grid, primarily right angle turns, and was assuming i'd give out exact distances (for ease). To make it work better i've redrawn the maze once, and changed the labyrinths "exit" to be in one of these dead ends. It does work better now, but it's raised questions about how best to handle mapping as a DM.

please share your methods and tips
- Felnar

Zappo

Explorer
You test run your dungeons? You're a better man than me. Anyway, I draw maps for the players. The map isn't only what the characters are drawing, it's what the characters see. It would be unfair to just give a description.

Sieobahn

First Post
These days I use a computer and projector to display the map, uncovering rooms as they move through the dungeon.

Before that, I would roughly draw the layout on a sheet of graph paper. I have found it is just too much hassle to get the players to draw the map from a verbal description. I would use a bulldog clip to hold the map to the front of the DM screen, and just update it every few rooms.

I also ask which character is doing the mapping, and if that character is killed off, check to see if anyone thought to take the maps off the body (if they can, acid is a wonderful thing). If the maps are gone, I will show the current one, but refuse to show the old ones (depending on how much time they have spent in that area). You would think the players would have caught on by now and made their own maps with notes.

Cithindril

First Post
I like the projector idea but we tend to be a bit more old-school (and poor :D ). I describe what they see (in somewhat rough terms) and it's up to the party to keep track of it however they want. Some guys break out the grid paper, some just free-hand the various rooms and corridors, and some just keep a list of directions in narrative form. This can lead to some interesting situations if the 'mapper' isn't very accurate as they take a wrong turn and end up hopelessly lost (or worse!).

MonsterMash

First Post
As a GM I tend to describe and leave it to the players to map the dungeons or wilderness areas, but will mark out any really complex parts on the map.

Jupp

Explorer
I'm the mapper in our group since years and the moment the party gets it that they took the wrong turn is the moment that can become a bit "unpleasant" for the mapper :heh: To me it means I have to spend the next bottle of wine and I have to endure the mockings and bad jokes for the next two hours :D I always try to push the fault to our DM but no one believes me.

When I DM I do not draw maps for the PCs. It is up to them to make a map or not. I think the whole map drawing thing is quite fun and adds nice touch to the game. Perhaps I will try this projector thingie in the future but at the moment I am quite happy with the "old school way".

Felnar

First Post
Zappo said:
You test run your dungeons? You're a better man than me. Anyway, I draw maps for the players. The map isn't only what the characters are drawing, it's what the characters see. It would be unfair to just give a description.
Actually i only test ran this "maze-area" of the dungeon to see if it was actually a semi-challenging maze. Even then i only tested the exploration, not the encounters. Test running is too exhausting. :)

S'mon

Legend
I sketch a rough map out for the players as the PCs explore; ie it's about as accurate as if a PC were mapping. If a PC had high Survival I might make it more accurate.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I describe for the most part and have 'words' picked out for use. When telling the players what they see I try to to it in the same format: Lighting, general size, objects.

If combat or special location, I use a battle mat.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I describe it to the players - "the corridor runs about 20 feet and turns left." In a particularly complex area I might draw it myself for them rather than take the time to try and explain it. One thing I am planning to do in a future adventure is map out an area that has odd angles and long, gently sloping corridors. I'm hoping to create a situation where the party becomes a little unsure of the accuracy of their map as they find two rooms that apparently fit into the same place.

Remove ads