Tyrrell

First Post
Folks here use the acronym RAW frequently

What does it mean?

Rules as Written?
Ridiculus Agravation from WotC?
Read it And Weep?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Tyrrell said:
Folks here use the acronym RAW frequently

What does it mean?

Rules as Written?
Ridiculus Agravation from WotC?
Read it And Weep?
All of the above.
Are you serious or not?

Infiniti2000

First Post
It means Rules As Written. Since you had it listed followed by some insults towards WotC, I assumed you were trolling.

There are even arguments as to what RAW is, but it's really only the core books (PH, DMG, MM) plus the errata for D&D and the SRD for d20. All other sources, including official sources like other WotC books, the FAQ, third-party material, etc. are technically houserules.

Some people view RAW as any work by WotC, including the FAQ.

Hope this is a more helpful response for you. I apologize for my previous reply. :)

Shuffle

First Post
Also usually used by a player trying to justify a horribly broken PC.

"But it's allowed by RAW", followed quickly by "Not allowed by DM Fiat"

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Infiniti2000 said:
There are even arguments as to what RAW is, but it's really only the core books (PH, DMG, MM) plus the errata for D&D and the SRD for d20. All other sources, including official sources like other WotC books, the FAQ, third-party material, etc. are technically houserules.

Some people view RAW as any work by WotC, including the FAQ.

The latter interpretation does seem to make more sense, IMHO. After all, someone asking for the RAW on warlocks from Complete Arcane isn't going to be given answers of "it works however you want since it's a house rule."

S'mon

Legend
RAW is the fearsome god of Law who rules the Rules Forum. Appeals to His terrible name are made by His acolytes in their battles against the heathen invaders from the terrible Chaos realms of the House Rules.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases