Daggerspell Psion

Khaalis

Adventurer
Hello all, I am back with a new class "fix". This is also being posted at the WotC Psionic Boards here: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?p=6307175#post6307175.

Well I have been looking at the Complete Adventurer’s “Daggerspell Mage” and noticed that the author suggests the following:

“Furthermore, in a campaign that includes psionics, the daggerspell mage makes an excellent class for psion/rogues. Simply change the arcane spellcasting requirements and progression to a similar psionic manifester level requirement and progression, and the daggerspell psion, the third branch of the of the Daggerspell Guardians, is ready for your campaign.”

However, my question is… Did the author actually know anything about Psionics when this statement was made? If you actually read the class, it is marginally useful for a psion at best. Lets look at the class abilities.

Daggercast: This basically grants two abilities:
1) A free Still Spell feat with no added spell level cost. This allows you to cast Somatic/Material spells with no hands free as long as you are holding daggers.
2) Deliver touch attacks via a dagger attack (but allowing either a melee touch attack (thus avoiding armor AC) or a standard melee attack).

Ok… Lets look at these.
1) Well Psions have no restrictions on holding objects and manifesting powers so this is a totally wasted ability. They do however have to make a Concentration check to manifest powers. This ability should reflect the ability to cast / manifest in the situation of being armed with both daggers (thus in combat). The feat that already exists to best reflect this would be Combat Manifestation.

2) The psionic system has very few DD powers and even less that are Touch attacks, and many of those are class specific. Thus this aspect of the power is of questionable value and you basically have to impose as part of the class that the entry class has a touch attack power known in the first place.
…..The total core of touch attacks are as follows:
* Destiny Dissonance (Seer 1)
* Destiny Dissonance (Seer 1)
* Dissolving Touch (Psychic Warrior 2)
* Empathic Transfer, Hostile (Telepath 3, Psychic Warrior 3)
* Psychic Vampire (Egoist 4, Psychic Warrior 4)
---
* Dissipating Touch (Psion/Wilder 1, Psychic Warrior 1)
* Feat Leech (Psion/Wilder 2, Psychic Warrior 2)
* Fuse Flesh (Psion/Wilder 6)
* Assimilate (Psion/Wilder 9)

Invocation of the Knife: This ability allows the user to change energy damage into slashing damage to overcome Energy Resistance.
However, very few psionic powers deal direct energy damage and most of those are limited to a specific class like the Kineticist and this is not supposed to be yet another Kineticist PrC. As is, the power doesn’t fit really fit a psion unless we impose, as part of the class entry, that they already have an energy attack power known in the first place or grant them an energy power. I think to balance the lack of real ability to utilize “Daggermanifest” the class could balance by granting an added power as well as requiring an energy power known.

Double Daggercast: This ability allows the caster to hold an instantaneous touch spell on their daggers until used. This works the same mechanically for a psion.

Arcane Infusion: This power is mechanically useless to a psion as it burns spell slots. Since this power is designed to only add +1d6 damage a limited number of times per day by decreasing spell casting ability and lasting based on spell level, we need to equate this to an equivalent power. Energy Ray is the equivalent 1d6 energy damage and is a 1st level power, the cost to use this ability should be based simply on level for PP.

Arcane Throw: This ability has 2 functions, granting ranged Daggercast as well as a mechanic to allow a failed attempt to be tried again instead of losing the spell. This can translate with a little work.

Daggerspell Flurry (Ex): This ability works but needs to be defined in psionic mechanic terms.

So with all that said, here is a take on what the real Daggerspell Psion should look like.

DAGGERSPELL PSION
Hit Die: d6

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a Daggerspell Psion, a character must fulfill the following criteria.
Alignment: Any nonevil
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks
Feats: Weapon Focus (Dagger), Two-Weapon Fighting
Special: Manifester Level 5th
Special: Ability to manifest at least one touch attack power and at least one “Energy” power

CLASS SKILLS
The Daggerspell Psion’s class skills are: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Handle Animal, Heal, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (Psionics), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim and Tumble.
Skill Points: 6+INT modifier

Code:
[b]	Base
Class	Attack		SAVES
Level	Bonus	Fort	Ref	Will	Special[/b]
1	+0	+0	+2	+2	Daggermanifest			-----
2	+1	+0	+3	+3	Manifestation of the Knife	+1 level of existing manifesting class
3	+2	+1	+3	+3	Sneak Attack +1d6		+1 level of existing manifesting class
4	+3	+1	+4	+4	-----				+1 level of existing manifesting class
5	+3	+1	+4	+4	Double Daggermanifest		+1 level of existing manifesting class
6	+4	+2	+5	+5	Sneak Attack +2d6		+1 level of existing manifesting class
7	+5	+2	+5	+5	Psionic Infusion		+1 level of existing manifesting class
8	+6	+2	+6	+6	Psionic Throw			+1 level of existing manifesting class
9	+6	+3	+6	+6	Sneak Attack +3d6		+1 level of existing manifesting class
10	+7	+3	+7	+7	Daggerspell Flurry		+1 level of existing manifesting class

CLASS FEATURES
All of the following are class features for the Daggerspell Psion.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Daggerspell Psions gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Daggermanifest (Ex): Daggerspell Psions seamlessly blend the use of their twin daggers with powerful psionic manifestation abilities. A daggerspell psion can manifest powers even when holding their daggers and engaged in melee combat gaining a +4 bonus on all Concentration checks made to manifest a power or use a psi-like ability. This bonus stacks with Combat Manifestation. If a daggerspell psion holds anything other than a dagger in each hand, they do not gain this Concentration bonus. Manifesting a power this way still provokes attacks of opportunity normally.
…..In addition, a daggerspell psion can deliver a touch power with a dagger attack (either a melee touch attack or a normal melee attack, but not with a thrown dagger).

Manifestation of the Knife (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, daggerspell Psions develop a strong mystical connection between their psionic manifesting abilities and the daggers that they wield. The daggerspell psion adds to their powers known one additional power from the following list of options: Energy Bolt, Energy Burst, Energy Push, Energy Ray, or Energy Stun. The daggerspell psion can only choose a power of any level up to the highest-level power they can normally manifest. For example a Psychic Warrior 5 / Rogue 1 / Daggerspell Psion 2 could only choose to add Energy Push, Energy Ray or Energy Stun to their powers known since they can only manifest up to 2nd level powers.
…..Whenever a daggerspell psion manifests a psionic power that deals energy damage, they can turn half of the damage dealt by the power into psionic slashing damage rather than energy damage. Energy resistance does not apply to this damage, but damage reduction might. This power does not effect a creature’s ability to resist the affected power with a saving throw or power resistance.
…..Using this ability does not require an action; its use is part of the action required to manifest the affected power. Only powers with a duration of instantaneous can be modified by this ability.

Powers Known: At every level indicated on the table, the daggerspell psion gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if they had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class they belonged to before they added daggerspell psion. They does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (such as bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats, psicrystal special abilities, and so on). This essentially means that they add the level of daggerspell psion to the level of whatever manifesting class they have, then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly. If the daggerspell psion had more than one manifesting class before they became a daggerspell psion, they must decide to which class they add the new level of daggerspell psion to, for the purpose of determining power points per day, powers known, and manifester level.

Sneak Attack (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a daggerspell psion deals an extra 1d6 points of damage when flanking an opponent or at any time when the target would be denied its Dexterity bonus. This extra damage applies to ranged attacks only if the target is within 30’. This damage increases to 2d6 at 6th level and 3d6 at 9th level. See the Rogue class feature description (p.50 Player’s Handbook. If a daggerspell psion gets a sneak attack bonus from another source, the bonuses on damage stack.

Double Daggermanifest (Ex): As a daggerspell psion advances in level, the connection between their manifesting abilities and their two-weapon fighting style strengthens. At 5th level and higher, the daggerspell psion can hold the charge for one touch power for each dagger that they are holding in their hands. They must designate which dagger holds each touch power at the time the power is manifested. If one of these daggers leaves the daggerspell psion’s hands, the power immediately discharges harmlessly (unless the dagger is thrown by a daggerspell psion with the Psionic Throw ability; see below).

Psionic Infusion (Su): At 7th level and higher, a daggerspell psion can infuse psionic power into their daggers, temporarily making enabling them to deal extra energy damage. To use this ability, the daggerspell psion must expend power points. The daggerspell psion chooses one dagger that they are holding and an energy type (Cold, Electricity, Fire or Sonic) when the ability is activated. The chosen dagger deals an added 1d6 points of damage of the chosen energy type. Activating this ability costs 1 Power Point and last for 1 round. For every additional 2 power points beyond the first that are expended (to a maximum of 17 PP and limited by manifester level), the effect lasts another round. Multiple uses of this ability on the same dagger do not stack, even if different energy types are chosen. If the dagger is thrown, the energy damage applies to that attack, but then the effect immediately dissipates. Using this ability is a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Psionic Throw (Ex): At 8th level and higher, a daggerspell psion can imbue psionic power into their thrown daggers, allowing them to deliver a touch power with a thrown dagger just as if they were making a melee attack. If the dagger hits the target, the touch power is discharged against the creature or object struck. If the dagger misses its intended target, the dagger returns to the daggerspell psion just before their next turn (as if it had the Returning special ability) and retains the spell just as if the daggerspell psion had missed with a melee attack.

Daggerspell Flurry (Ex): At 10th level, the daggerspell psion can blend manifesting with a flurry of dagger attacks. When using this ability, a daggerspell psion can quicken one power as part of a full attack with their daggers. Doing this does not cost the normal additional 6 power points, but the daggerspell psion must still expend their psionic focus. A daggerspell psion must make at least one melee attack in any round in which they use this ability, and they cannot make an attack with anything other than a dagger (although if a power manifested in conjunction with this ability requires an attack roll, they can still make the spell’s attack). A daggerspell psion can use this ability a number of times per day equal to their Dexterity modifier (minimum 1).

----------------

Comments or Thoughts?

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Some thoughts:

1/ Psions are already the masters of elemental damage, dealing damage more than Wizards. Combined with the fact that using Psionic Infusion makes very little sense to augment, I'd argue that charging a dagger with elemental energy should be either a free action or simply part of an attack.

2/ You're absolutely right about Psions not having tons of touch-delivered powers. What they could benefit from is treating their daggers as though they were weapons with the Power Storing special ability. Perhaps grant this ability to one dagger at an early level, and both daggers at a higher level.

3/ Know what a Psion wants to do that a Wizard could care less about? Regain his Psionic Focus. Some sort of cool Psi Meditation Dance effect, where you take the Full Defense action and, in a blur of blades, come out with your Focus back. That would be cool.

4/ Know how everyone hates Soulknives? Wouldn't it be nifty to rip of the Psychic Strike ability instead of Sneak Attack damage? Maybe that's just me.

-- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
John Q. Mayhem said:
Also, it might be considered bad form to just paste the whole class out. I'm no lawyer, but it kinda rubs me the wrong way.

I wouldn't worry about it. "Fair Use" covers critiques and reviews quite explicitly.

-- N

Khaalis

Adventurer
Hey Nift. Thanks for the input and comments. However, I am curious - have you actually read the original Daggerspell Mage? Some of your comments make me think you haven't?

Here are my responses...

1/ Psions are already the masters of elemental damage, dealing damage more than Wizards. Combined with the fact that using Psionic Infusion makes very little sense to augment, I'd argue that charging a dagger with elemental energy should be either a free action or simply part of an attack.

This isn't changed from the original ability. All I did was make the mechanic work for psionics in the same way it does for magic which is basically:

Paraphrase: Burn a spell slot (or prepared spell) to gain +1d6 energy damage (fire, cold, electricity) for 1 round per level of the spell sacrificed.

In Psionics that equates to "augmenting" the power by spending more points to make it last longer. In effect it simply makes you spend the base power points of a power level equivalent to the same spell level. This way you can choose to trade a "power slot" in effect from 1st to 9th, thus gaining a +1d6 energy damage for 1-9 rounds and paying the correct amount of power points. (Limited of course by your manifester level.)

As to the timing, it is also unchanged from the original ability which is a "swift" action which I feel is still appropriate. Swift actions are defined as actions that require only a very small amount of time, but still require a larger expenditure of energy than a free action. This ability is basically allowing you to expend power points to activate a spell/psionic-like ability (which is normally a standard action) without affecting your ability to perform other actions in the round.

2/ You're absolutely right about Psions not having tons of touch-delivered powers. What they could benefit from is treating their daggers as though they were weapons with the Power Storing special ability. Perhaps grant this ability to one dagger at an early level, and both daggers at a higher level.

While I personally feel this is a great boon, it really doesnt fit the theme of the class as it was designed. The original idea was to create the PrC exactly as the author had intended, but adapted to easily fit the psion user, which the core class does not do. Its not as simple as just swapping spell for psionic power as the author seems to suggest.

The core concept of the class however is intended to make the PC more combat oriented and to use their daggers to channel their combat spells/powers through their daggers. The weakness here is that while magic has MANY touch attack spells, psionics has very few.

So, the question we have to ask is: Do we trade out the core concept for something that gives a greater boon to the psionic character, or do we accept a less optimal ability to keep the flavor? For this excersize, I chose to stick with the author's intent for the class.

3/ Know what a Psion wants to do that a Wizard could care less about? Regain his Psionic Focus. Some sort of cool Psi Meditation Dance effect, where you take the Full Defense action and, in a blur of blades, come out with your Focus back. That would be cool.

Again, I totally agree that this would be a very psionic oriented talent. However, again it really doesn't fit anywhere in the exisiting design of the class. Even a Psychic Warrior, who relies heavily upon the use of feats and abilities that expend your psionic focus, do not get Psionic Meditation as a freebie. It is left to the choice of the PsyWar to gain the feat or not. For most it is a no-brainer, but then again their are PsyWar builds that do not use psionic feats and thus have no real need of meditation.

With all that said, my personal feeling is that this class does not rely heavily enough on expending psionic focus to warrent the "need" to add psionic meditation into the class, especially since it veers drastically from the original author's intent for the class.

4/ Know how everyone hates Soulknives? Wouldn't it be nifty to rip of the Psychic Strike ability instead of Sneak Attack damage? Maybe that's just me.

Again... I like this idea, but then again, it would be a completely different class and would no longer be a Rogue/Psionic PrC.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Khaalis said:
Hey Nift. Thanks for the input and comments. However, I am curious - have you actually read the original Daggerspell Mage? Some of your comments make me think you haven't?

I certainly don't have it memorized, but I'm not responding to this as a copy of that class -- I'm responding to it as a class all on its own.

Khaalis said:
This isn't changed from the original ability.

Yes, and in the context of Psionics, where a level 2 power is 3 times the price of a level 1 power, this is NOT SMART. No Psion with an Int above 10 would "augment" this for even one round. Think about it: a PC could either blow 17 pp and risk wasting many of them (if the fight ends earlier, if he kills his closest foe and can't make a full attack, etc.), or spend round-by-round up to 9 pp for the same maximum damage.

Why I dislike Swift in this context: he's supposed to be an expert with TWO daggers, and he can only energize ONE dagger? That's lame. He should be able to energize BOTH of them.

Khaalis said:
While I personally feel this is a great boon, it really doesnt fit the theme of the class as it was designed.

Maybe you'd like to spell out the theme of the class? It's not Rogue/Mage -- that class is called "Arcane Trickster", and it translates over to Psionics pretty easily.

Khaalis said:
So, the question we have to ask is: Do we trade out the core concept for something that gives a greater boon to the psionic character, or do we accept a less optimal ability to keep the flavor? For this excersize, I chose to stick with the author's intent for the class.

Okay, so I think you're saying you don't want input... I must have misread your request for comments & thoughts.

Oh well. -- N

Khaalis

Adventurer
Nifft said:
I certainly don't have it memorized, but I'm not responding to this as a copy of that class -- I'm responding to it as a class all on its own.
Okay, so I think you're saying you don't want input... I must have misread your request for comments & thoughts.

Ok, first let me say that I AM seeking constructive criticism and do not understand the defensiveness of your post.

However, apparently my opening statements were not clear enough. My attempt with this excersize is to create the EXACT translation of the Daggerspell Mage to Daggerspell Psion as laid out in the author's original statement:

“Furthermore, in a campaign that includes psionics, the daggerspell mage makes an excellent class for psion/rogues. Simply change the arcane spellcasting requirements and progression to a similar psionic manifester level requirement and progression, and the daggerspell psion, the third branch of the of the Daggerspell Guardians, is ready for your campaign.”

The problem with the author's statement is that you cannot just simply make the changes he states here and be good to go. Further changes are required to make the class function for a psionic user. This excersize is to spell out those changes necessary to make the class, as is, fit a psionic user. It was not to create a New class that steals the copyright name.

If I wanted a true Psionic Rogue there is the Psychic Rogue from the Mind's Eye (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) or create a class from scratch.

Onto some specifics...
Yes, and in the context of Psionics, where a level 2 power is 3 times the price of a level 1 power, this is NOT SMART. No Psion with an Int above 10 would "augment" this for even one round. Think about it: a PC could either blow 17 pp and risk wasting many of them (if the fight ends earlier, if he kills his closest foe and can't make a full attack, etc.), or spend round-by-round up to 9 pp for the same maximum damage.

Why I dislike Swift in this context: he's supposed to be an expert with TWO daggers, and he can only energize ONE dagger? That's lame. He should be able to energize BOTH of them.

Actually in this specific case, the cost to the 20th level Psion is the same as it would be to a 20th level caster. The 20th level psion is spending 17pp for the equivalent of a 9th level power and the arcane caster is burning a 9th level spell slot. As to energizing both - it is possible but has to be done over two rounds.

IMHO neither class would be Wise to utilize this power. My personal opinion, is that it sucks as written. It doesn’t scale except in time of duration? What arcane caster in their right mind is going to give up a 9th level spell to enchant 1 blade with +1d6 elemental damage for 9 rounds? Not a single one I know of. In fact I don’t see any arcane caster burning ANY spell slot for this bonus. I would rather burn a slot for an appropriate level spell.

However, as I stated, I am not trying to offer an alternative to the authored work in this excersize. I am simply translating it from arcane to psionic. If I were trying to re-write it, the power would add damage per spell level (or per 2PP) and affect both weapons. However, it would more likely be scrapped and something more useful added such as Improved TWF or a psionic feat.

Maybe you'd like to spell out the theme of the class? It's not Rogue/Mage -- that class is called "Arcane Trickster", and it translates over to Psionics pretty easily.

Actually the class is a Rogue/Mage but it is geared toward combat casting. I am not arguing which is a better class, Daggerspell vs. Trickster because they both have their merits and flaws. However, they are both viable Rogue/Caster hybrid classes. The daggerspell's theme however, is spefically geared to allow casting with two weapons in hand and to bring the daggers and magic together eventually gaining the boons of ranged "Touch" spells combined with Ranged Sneak Attack and Weapon damage, as well as the ability to Both cast AND make a full attack action in the same round a certain number of times per day. Add to this... retaining more rogue-like BAB, HD and Skill base.

As for the trickster, yes it could be translated to psionics rather eaily. However, with poor BAB, HD and Skills, you remain primarily a caster with some rogue tricks. All considered this means you have basically 2 choices for Rogue/Caster:

1) Trickster = Primarily caster with some rogue tricks
2) Daggerspell = Primarily rogue with some caster tricks

Purely a choice of taste for what kind of character you want to go for.

In any event, thanks for looking at the class, even if my original intent was not clear enough. My apologies.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Khaalis said:
Ok, first let me say that I AM seeking constructive criticism and do not understand the defensiveness of your post.

For future reference, it's stuff like "are you sure you read X?" and repeating the definition of something when I'm taking issue with the implications of that definition -- rubs my feathers the wrong way. And Penguins are just grumpy some days.

Khaalis said:
In any event, thanks for looking at the class, even if my original intent was not clear enough. My apologies.

I'm still not sure exactly what feedback you're looking for, but I think we agree that Daggerspell Mage is a poor "translation" to Psionics without some significant changes.

-- N

evolved

First Post
might be better off translating the ds shaper for use with psi warriors and egoists or do something nice for the soulknife it doesn't get much in the way of good multiclasses or prestige classes

Khaalis

Adventurer
Ok, to answer those looking for something other than the original intent of the exercise (to create a direct translation of Daggerspell Mage from Arcane to Psionic), here are some replies and comments.

On the topic of Psionic Infusion:

Psionic Infusion (Su): At 7th level and higher, a daggerspell psion can infuse psionic power into their daggers, temporarily making enabling them to deal extra energy damage. To use this ability, the daggerspell psion must expend power points. The daggerspell psion chooses one dagger that they are holding and an energy type (Cold, Electricity, Fire or Sonic) when the ability is activated. The chosen dagger deals an added 1d6 points of damage of the chosen energy type. Activating this ability costs 1 Power Point and last for 1 round. For every additional 2 power points beyond the first that are expended (to a maximum of 17 PP and limited by manifester level), the effect lasts another round. Multiple uses of this ability on the same dagger do not stack, even if different energy types are chosen. If the dagger is thrown, the energy damage applies to that attack, but then the effect immediately dissipates. Using this ability is a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

This is the direct translation from arcane to psionics for this ability as written by the author. However, as Nifft points out – this ability is not well written even in its original format. So, the idea would be to make this an actually beneficial ability, or at least more mechanically balanced and worthwhile.

Lets look at some already existing equivalents:

Claw of Energy
Psychic Warrior Power - 4th
Cost = 7 PP
Duration = 1 round/level
Effect = +1d6 (cold, electricity or fire) and on a Critical does +1d10 for x2, 2d10 for x3, etc.
(Does not augment)

Weapon Afire (Ps):
Pyrokineticist Class Ability - 4th
Cost = 0 PP
Duration = Indefinite
Effect = Can activate this ability as a move-equivalent action. Flames that harm neither her nor the weapon engulf one weapon she holds (which can be a projectile such as a stone, bullet, arrow, or bolt). The weapon deals an extra 2d6 points of fire damage on a successful hit. The weapon retains this effect for as long as the pyrokineticist wields it.

Also, from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e we can also expand this to include Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, or Sonic damage.

Since this class is intended more for “manifesters” than classes such as Pyrokineticists and Soulknives, I would say we should hold true to the original concept and use the mechanic as laid out in the existing Power rather than a specific class’s ability.

Thus I think Psionic Infusion would work well as follows.

Psionic Infusion (Su): At 7th level and higher, a daggerspell psion can infuse psionic power into their daggers, temporarily making enabling them to deal extra energy damage. To use this ability, the daggerspell psion must expend 7 power points . The daggerspell psion chooses one energy type (Cold, Electricity, Fire or Sonic) when the ability is activated. Their daggers then deal an added 1d6 points of damage of the chosen energy type on a successful hit. On a critical hit, it deals an extra 1d10 points of energy damage. If the claw’s critical multiplier is x3, add 2d10 points of energy damage instead; if the multiplier is x4, add 3d10 points of energy damage. The duration of the Psionic Infusion is one round per manifester level. Multiple uses of this ability on the same dagger do not stack, even if different energy types are chosen. If the dagger is thrown, the energy damage applies to that attack, but then the effect immediately dissipates. Using this ability is a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Thoughts?

Remove ads