Dragonlance fun with Dragonlances' proto-creature template

Wolf72

Explorer
[I don't think I violated any copyrights, if so let me know what I need to change and I'll hop to it -- wolf]

Not so long ago a powerful wizard sought to channel the powers of primal creation. He sought to empower some captive orcs with this energy -- his plan worked, kind of. While his creations did become physically more powerful, their mental attributes suffered. Overall his experiment was a success and he began to produce more of these dimwitted (more than normal) orcs to act as shock troops.

Battle Orcs, Orc warrior proto-creature
Code:
Medium Humanoid

Hit Dice: 		1d8+4 (9 hp)
Initiative: 		+0
Speed: 			30 ft
Armor Class: 		15 (+3 nat, +1 padded armor, +1 light wooden shield)
Base Attack/Grapple: 	+1/+5
Attack: 		Club +5 1d6+4
Full Attack: 		+5 club
Space/Reach: 		5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: 	Rage 1/day (+4 str, +4 con, +2 Will, -2 AC, 5 rnds)
Special Qualities: 	Darkvision 60 ft, Instability, Light sensitivity, Madness
Saves: 			Fort +3, Refl +0, Will –1 
Abilities: 		Str 18 (+4), Dex 10, Con 12 (+1), Int 6 (-2), Wis 8 (-1), Cha 4 (-3) 
Skills: 	        Spot +3
Feats: 	                Toughness		
Environment: 		Any land
Organization: 		Gang (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 	1
Advancement:		By Character Class (fav class: none)
Alignment:		Usually Chaotic Evil

instability: at -10 hp (death), battle orcs dissolve into a gooey proto-plasmic mess ... all of their items/equipment/gear are unharmed

madness: after taking dmg Battle orcs must make a Will (DC 15) or fly into a rage, provided they have not used up that ability.

favored class: none, Battle orcs do not have a favored class, but their rage ability stacks with any barbarian class levels.

Battle Orcs have the following stat adjustments:
str +8, con +2, int -4, wis -2, cha -6

CR: I put this at one, but I think 1/2 might be justified as well

Wolf72

Explorer
you know you're a geek or really bored when you start posting to your own posts,

... but had a thought about the proto-creature template and what it really does.

it buffs some physical attribures, strips all Su/Sp powers and makes them unstable (zaps the mental attributes pretty hard)

Awwwoooooooo!!!!!

ps: 8 days of regular classes left, I'm secure for next year ... and all of my trouble students have started skipping tutoring sessions (when a student is expelled or suspended for more than 5 days school has to provide tutoring (me) ... and instead of payiny 15 different tutors $35/hour, they send them to me and I get a bunch at once ... yup, officially bored in a good way)

Remove ads