Sherlock Holmes and Cthulu

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Not sure if anyone's noted this before (probably), but I wanted to call attention to it, cause it's so damn good.

Shadows Over Baker Street short story anthology

All I can say is WOW, HOLY CRAP and SOME OTHER EXCLAMATIONS I UTTERED WHILE READING. I'd never heard of this collection until last night, and I already have it in my hands AND just finished reading the short story "A Study in Emerald" by Neil Gaiman.

Absolutely brilliant - Gaiman surpasses himself yet again. The way he leads the reader through this bizarre alternate world is just genius. Can't wait to read the rest.

You can read Gaiman's story on his website - http://www.neilgaiman.com/exclusive/StudyinEmerald.asp

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Yeah, I actually wrote a review of that book on RPG.net a while ago.

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10251.phtml

I actually thought the first story was not very good. (Heh, which apparently got my review panned - Neil Gaiman fans are even worse than MacGuyver fans.). For one, it clearly wasn't really Lovecraftian or Holmesian, it was set on an alternate earth quite different than our earth. Secondly, it wasn't very serious - Dr. Jeckyll selling laxatives?
The twist at the end was good, though. But I don't think it fit the book. Would have been more apropriate for a book on Alternate Earths or something.

But the rest of the anthology got better (except the Steve Perry story. Yikes).

CCamfield

First Post
"Panned"? There were only a few comments to your review. On rpg.net, "panned" means a 50-post flamewar :D

I disagree with you about that story too, in the sense that I enjoyed it a lot and thought it quite good.

I honestly think that the Jeckyl ad is supposed to be selling his transformation formula. "Release the Inner You! For Inner and Outer Cleanliness! TOO MANY PEOPLE, both men and women, suffer from CONSTIPATION OF THE SOUL!" does not sound like a laxative.

OK, rather than start a new thread, I'll just resurrect this old one and ask a couple of questions.

I just started reading Shadows Over Baker Street last night.

I've only read the first two stories ("A Study in Emerald" and "Tiger! Tiger!"). I really enjoyed them, but I have to asK:

What is the Sherlock Holmes connection in the "Tiger! Tiger!" story? I guess maybe the narrator served with Watson in Afghanistan? The book is at home and I'm at work, so I can't re-read the story until tonight.

I suppose I should read some of Doyle's original Sherlock Holmes stories. We've got the "complete annotated 80-lb two books in a slipcase edition"--I've just never bothered to read them. So, question #2 is: do you think Shadows would be more enjoyable if I read the original Holmes stories first?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Ack, it's almost been 3 years since I read the book (okay, 2 1/2), but wasn't the one in that story Irene Adler, Sherlock Holmes girlfriend?

Not really girlfriend, but the only woman he really admired. And a popular figure in Holmes fan fiction.

(Oddly enough, there's a whole serious of books about her by this woman who used to write Fantasy novels in the early 80s and who my friends and I read while playing AD&D. Carole Nelson Douglas, who wrote the book the Six of Swords? Not that great a book, but had a great cover of a guy with a huge sword)

Last edited:

trancejeremy said:
Ack, it's almost been 3 years since I read the book (okay, 2 1/2), but wasn't the one in that story Irene Adler, Sherlock Holmes girlfriend?

Not really girlfriend, but the only woman he really admired. And a popular figure in Holmes fan fiction.

Yes, that's it. Thanks!

trancejeremy said:
(Oddly enough, there's a whole serious of books about her by this woman who used to write Fantasy novels in the early 80s and who my friends and I read while playing AD&D. Carole Nelson Douglas, who wrote the book the Six of Swords? Not that great a book, but had a great cover of a guy with a huge sword)
Interesting. According to her web site, she's got a whole slew (well, 9 at least) Irene Adler books in print.

trancejeremy said:
(Heh, which apparently got my review panned - Neil Gaiman fans are even worse than MacGuyver fans.).
What do you have against MacGuyver, you ****** *** ** *****!

Just kidding.
Fans are strange animals, but maybe that's just because they're humans. :)

Remove ads