Adventure:-- LPNN (Manzanita Judging)

two

First Post
Round 2, top of the order

As Almayce is loading his crossbow, Ogrin moves around the campfire and wakes up Rasereit and Juliana, roughly and quickly. Rasereit and Juliana’s eyes pop open, and after 2-3 seconds they are again oriented to the waking world and ready for action.

“Something’s coming,” Ogrin says to them both. (Raz init roll=20, Jul=7)

Round 2 (we enter combat time):

I22: As Ogrin continues to make his way around the campfire, he opens his mouth to say “wake up,” but what comes out instead is something like, “wake uuuughhh”. A crossbow bolt shoots out of the dark, aimed by something invisible to Ogin (rolls 17, hits easily), doing 7 points of damage. Thus the “ugggghhhh.”

I22: Ogrin, what is your next action? You and Raz act pretty much simultaneously.

I22: Raz, awake and on your back, sees something flying through the air and implant itself into Ogrin’s back. It makes a little squishy thunking sound. It’s not a nice sound.

What is Raz’s action?

{When Juliana, Zaeryl, Hallidor, and Vargo wake up they will be entered into the initiative order. Almayce acts at the bottom of round 2, with init=2.}

Attachments

• CrossbowWoodF.jpg
    CrossbowWoodF.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: Isn't Juliana awake?

Juliana will stand up while drawing her flail and shield, and invoke Thicken Skin.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Zaeryl does not sleep, so he has a pretty good chance to actually hear what is going on and exit meditation on his own (needn't worry about the "asleep" penalty at least) if he gets a good roll. He also does not lie down when he enters meditation, which should help him prepare faster)

two

First Post
Although it may seem like days, only 7 seconds (roughly) have elapsed.

I was assuming that soon a shout will be heard, at initiative 22, waking up everyone, but there is a slim chance that the quiet noises made so far, plus the sound of the twanging bolt, could awaken still-sleeping or entranced PC's.

[Rystil Arden, I am not clear on why Zaeryl does not have to sleep, even as an Elan. 8 hours of 'sleep' or meditation is required for PP refreshing. Not prone -- ok. But being completely aware of surroundings while meditating deeply? Hmmmm. I'm still going to apply the -10 asleep listen penalty.]

So, by popular demand, listen checks at -10 (asleep penalty) having to hit DC5 (soft conversation/bolt shot).

Juliana, Zaeryl, Hallidor, and Vargo roll: 12/18/3/6.

Everyone except Zaeryl remains asleep until a louder noise is made -- likely coming up very soon.

Zaeryl's eyes pop open and, at initiative number 7 on round 2, he can take some action.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Yeah, for some reason I thought it said elan entered a light trance, but it says a deep trance, so the -10 is appropriate. As for the 8 hours, Zaeryl wasn't missing any PsP, so he didn't need to worry about it. Even when he is, he can still keep watch unless there's an attack, like now, and even if he has to fight and interrupt his preparation, he can just tack on one extra hour to the end and be fine)

*Zaeryl would prefer to have his eyes be open but completely unseeing during his trance if possible--it looks creepier. He uses his Concentration to erase all signs of manifestation and burns Psionic Focus to cast Vigour for 2 Power Points at Manifester Level 2, gaining 10 temporary hit points. Next round, its clobbering time!*

two

First Post
Bront said:
OOC: Isn't Juliana awake?

Juliana will stand up while drawing her flail and shield, and invoke Thicken Skin.

{Although Juliana isn't yet awake, it's worth figuring out her possible actions in advance.

Standing up is a MEA, invoking Thicken Skin is a standard action. That's one round's worth.

Drawing her flail is a MEA, as is readying a shield. Of course, she could also move and draw the flail for free. But this looks to be during round 3, unless I'm off. Please correct if so, I'm no rules guru. Also please post your AC post-thicken skin. Psionics and me are like oil and water. I know nothing.}

Last edited:

Vargo

First Post
two said:
So, by popular demand, listen checks at -10 (asleep penalty) having to hit DC5 (soft conversation/bolt shot).

Juliana, Zaeryl, Hallidor, and Vargo roll: 12/18/3/6.

Don't forget (animal companion) Huln's listen check - Listen +3

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
As Razh awakens, he reaches beneath his bedroll, instinctively grabbing for his two axes which he sleeps over every night. Before he even gets a chance to stand, he sees Ogrin fall to the dart that just zipped into his throat. A primal roar escapes Rasereit Vundinn's chest as he jumps to his feet and charges in the direction the dart came from.

OOC1: That's 2 MEA's and then 2 more MEA's. Hopefully he can tell what direction the dart came from by just looking at Ogrin's neck, but if not, then he'll crouch over Ogrin's body and look about for the attackers.

OOC2: I'm not sure about this, perhaps someone clear on rules can enlighten me. I put this in Razh's character bio: "When on an assignment, he never changes clothes or bathes, regardless of location, unless specifically instructed to do so by a leader of some sort." I'm wondering if there are penalties for sleeping in your armor? If so, then Razh will just don his monk's outfit for the night, but if not, then he will always be wearing his armor. (In a roleplaying sense, comfort is no issue to Razh. He has slept on rocks and on the battlefield for basically all his life.)

Bront

The man with the probe
two said:
As Almayce is loading his crossbow, Ogrin moves around the campfire and wakes up Rasereit and Juliana, roughly and quickly. Rasereit and Juliana’s eyes pop open, and after 2-3 seconds they are again oriented to the waking world and ready for action.

“Something’s coming,” Ogrin says to them both. (Raz init roll=20, Jul=7)
two said:
{Although Juliana isn't yet awake, it's worth figuring out her possible actions in advance.
OOC: Now I'm confused.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rae ArdGaoth said:
OOC2: I'm not sure about this, perhaps someone clear on rules can enlighten me. I put this in Razh's character bio: "When on an assignment, he never changes clothes or bathes, regardless of location, unless specifically instructed to do so by a leader of some sort." I'm wondering if there are penalties for sleeping in your armor? If so, then Razh will just don his monk's outfit for the night, but if not, then he will always be wearing his armor. (In a roleplaying sense, comfort is no issue to Razh. He has slept on rocks and on the battlefield for basically all his life.)
srd said:
ENDURANCE [GENERAL]
Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus on the following checks and saves: Swim checks made to resist nonlethal damage, Constitution checks made to continue running, Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from a forced march, Constitution checks made to hold your breath, Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from starvation or thirst, Fortitude saves made to avoid nonlethal damage from hot or cold environments, and Fortitude saves made to resist damage from suffocation. Also, you may sleep in light or medium armor without becoming fatigued.
Normal: A character without this feat who sleeps in medium or heavier armor is automatically fatigued the next day.
Special: A ranger automatically gains Endurance as a bonus feat at 3rd level. He need not select it.

OOC: Hope that helps :)

Remove ads