Adventure:-- LPNN (Manzanita Judging)

Bront

The man with the probe
Juliana watches the exchange, cursing herself for not interfering. Her mistress was right when she said she had much to learn.

Juliana quickly takes some steps towards where Tryggvi was, looking for signs that he still might be there, and failing to find any, turns back to Hallidor.

"Who was that man, and what is his and your involvement with this Conclave?" she asks of Hallidor.

two

First Post
“I don’t know how that man is involved,” Hallidor says in response to the questions he is receiving, “as for who it is – his name is Tryggvi. He lives in a town near Rangarata, and works as a trader of some sort; I’ve seen him ferrying boats up and down the Dettikyll river on occasion.

I honestly don’t know why he cares so much about what I am doing – him and ‘The Conclave.’ Nor do I know anything of 'The Conclave' except stories told from legend.

My story is quite simple, really.

My sister, Hallidora, died two weeks ago. She was betrothed to Sindri, a fine man and a good friend of mine. She was very happy… at least, I always thought she was happy. She never gave any indication of anything else… and then we went to bed and the next morning, and she was gone, cold, taken away somehow…

Some people speak of suicide. They speak of secrets, secrets so horrible it caused Hallidora to take her own life – which I don’t for a second believe. Hallidora loved life. There was nobody as full of energy as she was. When she entered a room – the room brightened. And when she left a room, a cloud passed over the face of the sun. She was, as far as I can tell, universally loved. And now she is dead.

We buried her a week ago. Everyone in our town, and most of the people from the surrounding community, were present. Conspicuously absent was Krafla – something I found odd at the time. Krafla was a great admirer of Hallidora, and even asked her to marry him I believe. Yet, the next day, when I attempted to find Krafla, he was gone. Or rather, he was never around when I was around. I don’t know what to make of that.

But what I ask of you is this: prove to me that Hallidora’s death was as they say a fluke, an aberration. Or that it was not, that something else (or someone else) was involved. Anything is better than not knowing, or worse yet: suspecting the most shameful possibility: self-murder. No. I can’t see Hallidora ever stooping to that… never…

I must warn you, however. Apparently, there are more forces arrayed against us than I initially suspected. If you wish to bow out, do so now. I do not want your blood on my hands, should things turn ill. I want everyone to understand that any journey with me might lead to death.

That understood -- who is still interested? If so, step forward, and take your 50 gold...

I feel the need to return to Rangarata as quickly as possible. I don't know if something is going on back there. I hope my family is safe...

I will be leaving in an hour... leaving from the door of the Red Dragon..."

Last edited:

two

First Post
{Those unable to post yet, don't worry. I won't be posting this frequently during the normal course of the adventure. Beginnings are always high maintenance....

Typically, I'll wait for everyone to post at least once before moving on to the next stage/action/event.

If Hallidor hasn't made it clear enough... those willing to accompany him may take 50 gold and buy whatever normal equipment they can procure in an hour, and meet back at the courtyard of the Red Dragon Inn.}

Xael

First Post
Almayce listens to the story silently. "There are few things still I need to know. How exactly did your sister die? I suppose there weren't any actual wounds, but did anybody knowledgeable actually check if she was poisoned or something similar? I guess not. And I'm certainly interested in this.", he says while extending his arm towards Hallidor to take his money and shake his hand. "Let's get back to the Inn, and leave. I don't think it would be very safe to separate, since that Tryggvi fellow didn't seem like a very friendly or honorable type. I would bet that either he or one of his friends is following us. We will probably meet him again, and then we need to have a long, nice talk with him." *And/Or kill him.*, Almayce added in his mind.

"I just need to get my horse and I'm ready to leave."

Last edited:

two

First Post
Xael said:
Almayce listens to the story silently. "There are few things still I need to know. How exactly did your sister die? I suppose there weren't any actual wounds, but did anybody knowledgeable actually check if she was poisoned or something similar? I guess not. And I'm certainly interested in this.", he says while extending his arm towards Hallidor to take his money and shake his hand. "Let's get back to the Inn, and leave. I don't think it would be very safe to separate, since that Tryggvi fellow didn't seem like a very friendly or honorable type. I would bet that either he or one of his friends is following us. We will probably meet him again, and then we need to have a long, nice talk with him." *And/Or kill him.*, Almayce added in his mind.

"I just need to get my horse and I'm ready to leave."

Hallidor nods and shakes Almayce's hand. Hallidor presses 50 gold into Almayce's palm, and then attempts (as best he is able) to answer one of Almayce's questions.

“How did we discover Hallidora? It was her maid, Dagmar, who first entered her room that morning. We questioned Dagmar very closely, you can be sure. I know her story as if I saw it all myself; experienced it myself… but I shall tell it to you as Dagmar told it to me – accurate down to the word, I assure you.

‘I went into her room like I normally do, with her favorite breakfast: two bits of twice-toasted bread, a bowl of warm butter, and two cored apples, split and then quartered. She was in the bed, not stirring, but that wasn’t unusual. The Mistress doesn’t always stir when I enter. I went over to the curtain and pulled it open, then turned and put down the painted breakfast tray on the small table next to her bed. I hadn’t yet looked at her. And the curtains shivered. I do remember that, the curtains shivered, which I thought strange, for it was already warm that morning, without a breeze, and yet the curtains shifted. I swear they blew outward, into the summer air, as long as I can breathe I will maintain that. Maybe it means nothing… but I’m willing to believe it does.

I told her to get up. I said it sharply. Oh, I do wish I had not spoken sharply; I hope she was at that point far gone, far to gone to be able to hear my voice. I don’t want her carrying that to the next world, my sharpness. But, I must be honest: I said it sharply, and turned to the bed, looking down at her. She was on her side, facing the wall, still as a statue. The white covers had slipped down below her shoulder. I stared at it for a little longer than I would normally; I think already I sensed something wrong. Perhaps her skin, normally so white, had a tinge of blue. I’m not sure. But I did feel something horrible, I felt as if I were entering a dream, one of those dreams where you reach out for something that can’t be caught. Or run from something that can’t be avoided. Time slowed as I reached, my fingers grazed her skin, the smooth skin of her shoulder – and I felt it was cold, her skin cold, the cold penetrating me instantly. I wasn’t able to think, that’s why I didn’t scream right away – that’s the only reason. It was like I couldn’t help myself. My other hand reached out, touching her cold shoulder, and I pulled, I rolled her onto her back, thinking I don’t know what, that maybe it was just the chill of the night air which froze her shoulder? That I was horribly mistaken, and the sun might rise at midnight, and stars dance in the cow’s milking pail? Anything was possible, but not after I rolled her over, because not only was her shoulder blue but her face as well, and the expression: well, Master, you have seen it yourself. I can’t begin to describe it.’

“That’s Dagmar’s story,” Hallidor said, “that’s as much as she would or could say. And, to answer the question that you will now ask: Hallidora’s expression. It was unlike anything anyone had ever seen on a dead person. It was a look of pure ecstasy.”

Xael

First Post
Almayce looks puzzled, but rather interested. "That's... weird. It doesn't really rule out some kind of poison, which would be my primary guess at the moment. Though it would have to be quite a weird poison. But the curtain part annoys me. It might mean something or not, but it's useless to ponder it here.", Almayce says while walking back and forth and pondering.

He stops soon enough, and turns to Halliror once more. "Is her room in the first floor? Also, does Sidri or anybody else know you're suspecting that her death wasn't natural and that you're hiring us, and if they do, what do they think of it? I'm wondering whether we can start asking questions straight, or do we have to try to hide our mission somehow.", he says and shrugs. *And that would be quite difficult.*

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Perhaps it is better or worse that I didn't get a chance to post because Zaeryl would have tried to kill the mobbish NPC before he could give his face to the mob)

"Hmm..." Zaeryl ponders, "Sometimes, mortals can be complicated. Is it possible that the Hallidora took a drug that made her appear dead in order to escape her marriage with Sindri and elope with Krafla or something like that? It would explain the ecstatic look on her face and this one has heard tales of similar events occurring."

Of course, that is assuming that this man Hallidor is telling the truth Zaeryl ponders Some of these names seem fishy, and perhaps he knows that we are signing up for more than we bargained here.

Agreed. Though you should have slain the man with the pipe before he could escape with your face. You put us in danger!

Bront

The man with the probe
"Death in pure extacy? This does not sound right. Death in your sleep is not a true warrior's death. I will accept your commision, and be ready to leave shortly." Juliana says to Hallidor.

Juliana turns to ask the party "Is enyone here familiar with how poisons work? Poison is not an honorable weapon to use in combat."

two

First Post
{I need to get a response today from Vargo the Druid and Rasereit Vundinn or they are in danger of being left behind in the city}

"I thank you all for your obvious courage and interest... however if we are to leave in an hour, as I wish, I also need to busy myself with preparations. I must buy food as well as visit a cousin of my family who lives nearby.

I can answer all your excellent questions at greater length as we travel towards Rangarata. I do feel this horrible sense of urgency -- I feel as if I should fly back as quickly as I am capable...

But to answer your questions briefly -- yes, Almayce, others surely suspect I think her death very unnatural. I said so often, loudly, and at length; I defended her repeatedly against those who whispered 'suicide.' As for Hallidora's room, it does lie on the first floor, with a view of the Dettikyll. And I did look for obvious traces of poison...however none were to be seen... granted I am no expert in the subject..."

Hallidor shakes the hand of Almayce, Juliana, Ogrin, and Zaeryl (although Zaeryl seems to be pondering something and not quite decided). He gives each 50 gold (if he has not done so already) and walks off --

"In front of the Red Dragon, in an hour..." he says, soon disappearing around a corner.

Last edited:

Vargo

First Post
Vargo, Human Druid

Vargo, who has been quiet until now, nods to the story and says "If the story of the moving curtains is true, then it is quite possible the assassin was still in the room, possibly concealing himself via some spell."

OOC: I've gotten myself tied up in some very crazy stuff unexpectedly, I should be able to post 1-2 times a day every weekday, with the occasional gap. If that's not often enough, let me know.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases