Adventure:-- LPNN (Manzanita Judging)

Rystil Arden

First Post
"A wizard? Bah. We have no need for them. We wield the power of the cosmos in our very hands while they piddle with their books and scribblings. As for combat, we have seen much, but this one is frail and unable to take much punishment--until we can use our power to strengthen it, we must be careful."

two

First Post
Three Curious Creepers

Hallidor listens carefully to everything that is said, asks a few more obvious questions, and then lapses into a thoughtful silence.

The evening passes without incident, the watches changes at the appropriate times, the night is quiet and still.

The next day is not particularly eventful. A morning mist disperses with the rising sun. The day is warm but not hot; it hovers around 78 all day. Lunch is pleasant, and fresh streams abound supplying clear, cold water. Making good progress, you stop near dusk when you reach a clearing that Hallidor terms “good enough.” The woods are, again, rather sparse and young; this clearing was the result of logging a few decades back. Since then, it has been kept relatively clear by passing travelers and grazers such as deer (who enjoy sapling leaves as much as the next, well, deer).

Vargo makes an excellent knowledge (K) check (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=103721) and discovers a small plant he’s never seen before. After touching its leaves, smelling it, and inspecting it, Vargo decides it is “Old Man’s Curse,” a plant causing a rash on contact. Vargo attempts not to itch his hands, at least not very frequently.

{refer to attachments for visuals of travel}

Dinner is made, watches mounted, the fire stoked. Dusk deepens, and turns into night. The moon is a little over 1/3 visible, cloud cover moderate – clouds drifting over the moon every once in a while.

During the second watch http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=103724, outside the visible or audible range of anyone in the party, something, however, happens.

{PC’s do not know the following: 3 creatures see the low glow of the fire in the clearing… and have anyway some reasonable understanding of what is camping there for the night… they decide to slowly make their way towards the campsite, hiding themselves in the gloom and making sure to move quietly (taking 10 on hides/move silently). Repeat, the PC’s do not know this yet.}

At first, the creepers are 100 feet away.

Ogrin (1/-1 listen/spot) & Almayce (5/5 listen/spot), are on the second watch, and are (hopefully) watching and listening.

Ogrin rolls http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=103726 a 3 & and 3, a truly hideous result. Almayce, on the other hand, rolls a 20/14, giving him a 25 listen and 20 spot. Incredibly better!

As Almayce is sitting by the fire, he hears – dimly but he thinks clearly, although at a distance – a high-pitched chittering sound, as well as the sound of something rubbing against something else. It is coming vaguely from the East of the firepit.

So, the question is, what does Almayce do?

Attachments

• campsite2.jpg
    campsite2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 88
  • campsite_micro.jpg
    campsite_micro.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 90

Xael

First Post
*I wonder if Mr. pipeman and his friends got here already. Hopefully. I'd like to get them dealt with and there are some questions I want to ask.*

Almayce starts preparing his crossbow while continuing to stare at the woods. "There's trouble nearby. Wake up the others.", he says to Ogrin with a silent voice.

Last edited:

two

First Post
It Begins

{Ogrin, tell me the first person you are going to wake. It takes a move action to get to them and another to shake them awake reasonably quietly. Or, if you do something else, let me know.}

Almayce -- in the shadowy darkness, about 50 feet away and to the North West of the fire, you see three or four shadowy figures suddenly appear at the edge of the forest clearing. They have stopped, remaining in the forest, and seem to be attempting to keep quiet and remain relatively unobserved. You suspect a human would not notice them; but you are not a human.

As you focus your senses, you hear more distant scraping sounds, and a horrible chattering noise that is abruptly cut off. You now can pick out two distinct large shapes, as well as a third shape which seems to consist of mass of smaller shapes…

Almayce’s crossbow is loaded and at the ready. Ogrin has been informed of some noise, and barring other direction has gone over to 1 or 2 PC friends to let them know what’s going on. Ogin does not see or hear any enemy, simply takes Almayce’s word on it.

Initiative for those aware of each other at the moment:

Almayce gets a horrible roll: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=103875, initiative 2.
Orgin (if it matters a bit later this round) gets a good roll, 19 + 3 = 22.

{All rolls for this combat are available for viewing at http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?u=LPNN, I won’t keep linking them. That gives a total list of all the rolls I’m making.}

{note to self: 19/17/14, bad guys going at 22, 19, and 17.}

{Ogrin’s input very much needed at this point}

{In the attachment, A= Almayce. There are arcs of bright light (thanks to the fire and the everburning torch) and arcs of shadowy illumination. Low-light vision doubles both, allowing Almayce to see the 3 figures}

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

two

First Post
{paging Ogrin, Paging Ogrin...

Everyone check the thread 1 or 2 times a day if possible during these action-intensive times...

Everyone else, consider in advance what your probable actions might be...

That's all...}

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
two said:
{paging Ogrin, Paging Ogrin...

Everyone check the thread 1 or 2 times a day if possible during these action-intensive times...

Everyone else, consider in advance what your probable actions might be...

That's all...}
OOC: Ogrin hasn't been on since yesterday, but he's in Sweeden, so his times of access might be different.

rln

Explorer
"Be careful, Almayce. Retreat if you're overwhelmed.", Ogrin says in a hushed voice as Almayce disappears into the shadows.

Ogrin approaches Rasereit. "Razh, wake up. Something's coming." He'll then proceed around the campfire, waking the others.

OOC: To make things easy i assume we are sleeping in the watch order, so that's the order I'll wake people in. If battle noises are heard, I will shout to help raise the others, if not I will wake them quietly.

OOC2: Actually, I'm in the US (DC) on business until mid-july. I travel every now and then and yesterday, I was on the move from Las Vegas and without Internet most of the day. Sorry for not giving a heads-up, I usually do.

Last edited:

two

First Post
rln said:
"Be careful, Almayce. Retreat if you're overwhelmed.", Ogrin says in a hushed voice as Almayce disappears into the shadows.

Ogrin approaches Rasereit. "Razh, wake up. Something's coming." He'll then proceed around the campfire, waking the others.

OOC: To make things easy i assume we are sleeping in the watch order, so that's the order I'll wake people in. If battle noises are heard, I will shout to help raise the others, if not I will wake them quietly.

OOC2: Actually, I'm in the US (DC) on business until mid-july. I travel every now and then and yesterday, I was on the move from Las Vegas and without Internet most of the day. Sorry for not giving a heads-up, I usually do.

{no problem. I'll work through the first few rounds of combat today with any luck.}

Remove ads