The Outrider (Approved) Addendum (Approved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bront

The man with the probe
Outrider
The Outriders are renowned warriors, masters of mounted combat. Originally a Halfling tradition, other races have learned the skills of the outrider and have formed their own ranks. Outriders are valued as cavalry, as well as lone scouts who can ride quickly to and from enemy lines. Many villages value an outrider as a necessary part of the town guard.

Outrider
Hit Die: d10.
Requirements
To qualify to become an Outrider, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Handle Animal 8 ranks, Ride 8 Ranks
Feats: Mounted Combat, Ride by Attack

Class Skills
The Outrider’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Ride (Dex), and Survival (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Code:
[B]Table: The Outrider
Level	BAB	Fort	Wil	Ref	Special[/B]
1st	+1	+2	+0	+0	Mount Bonding
2nd	+2	+3	+0	+0	Ride Proficiency
3rd	+3	+3	+1	+1	Sturdy in the Saddle
4th	+4	+4	+1	+1	Mounted Full Attack
5th	+5	+4	+1	+1	Improved Mount Control
Class Features
All the following are Class Features of the Outrider prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An Outrider is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and heavy armor, and all shields(Except Tower).
Mount Bonding (Su): An Outrider forms a tight bond with their mounts that becomes almost supernatural or spiritual. If the Outrider has the Special Mount class feature, or uses an Animal Companion as a mount, their outrider levels add to their effective level for any special bonuses that these animals may get. (So, an 8th level Ranger/ 3rd level Outrider is considered 7th level for their animal companion if it is their mount) Otherwise, the mount can be any mount the Outrider can use. This special bond takes one month to form, and lasts until the mount dies, or the Outrider is without the mount for 6 months, though the bond with an ex-mount can be recovered in only a week instead of the usual month.
Code:
[B] 	Bonus 	NA 	Str 	Int 	
Level	HD	Adj.	Adj.	Adj.	Special[/B]
1st 	+1 	+1 	+1 	+1	Empathic link, Share Spells
2nd 	+2 	+2 	+1 	+1 	Evasion
3rd 	+3 	+3 	+2 	+2 	Iron Will
4th 	+4 	+4 	+2 	+2 	Improved Speed
5th	+5	+5	+3	+3	Improved Evasion
Empathic Link (Ex): A Outrider can handle her mount as a free action, or push it as a move action, even if she doesn’t have any ranks in the Handle Animal skill. The Outrider gains a +4 circumstance bonus on all wild empathy checks and Handle Animal checks made regarding a mount.
Share Spells (Ex): At the Outrider’s option, she may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) she casts upon herself also affect her animal companion. The animal companion must be within 5 feet of her at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the mount if the mount moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the mount again, even if it returns to the Outrider before the duration expires.
Additionally, the Outrider may cast a spell with a target of “You” on her mount (as a touch range spell) instead of on herself. An Outrider and her mount can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the companion’s type (animal).
Evasion (Ex): If a mount is subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, it takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw.
Iron Will: A mount gains the feat Iron Will. If the mount already has Iron Will, the mount then gains a feat of his or her choice
Improved Speed (Ex): A mount gains a +10 bonus to it’s base speed.
Improved Evasion (Ex): When subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, a mount takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw and only half damage if the saving throw fails.

Ride Proficiency (Ex): An outrider may add his outrider level as a competence bonus to any ride checks.
Sturdy in the Saddle (Ex): The outrider learns to maintain his balance and composure while in the saddle. Any penalties for being in the saddle are cut in half. This is cumulitive with any feats that reduce the effect as well (IE, cuts penalties by half after other feats, resulting in 1/4 for the Mounted Archery penalties for example). Also, the Outrider gains a +5 compitence bonus to Balance while mounted, and can take a 10 when mounting or dismounting.
Mounted Full Attack (Ex): An outrider may make a full attack from the back of their mount even if their mount moved up to one full move. This may not be done when charging or making a double move.
Improved Mount Control (Ex): An Outrider may make a single turn of up to 90 degrees while charging, though the mount must move at least 10 feet after the turn for it to be considered a charge. To do this, the rider must make a ride check with a DC of 30. If the check fails, the mount continues on for 10 feet beyond where it tried to turn and stops, loosing the rest of its actions.

Last edited:

azmodean

First Post
I'm not so sure about mounted full attack and Improved mount control. Mounted Full Attack especially is an ability that you just can't get by any other means.

Bront

The man with the probe
There's actualy a similar ability that one of the PrCs gets in the Complete Warrior for both the turning charge, and the full attack. Plus, with Improved Mount Control, you still need to make a DC 30 check (I could always raise the DC if that's the issue) or loose the rest of the action and stop, possibly in a bad spot. If it's a big issue, I can see changing it. However, given you can't charge with it, or use ride by attack with it, I don't see it as overly powerfull, but that's my personal oppinion.

orsal

LEW Judge
Bront said:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Outriders gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Why not? This looks like a martial class to me, so it should come with proficiencies. I'd suggest proficiency with simple and martial weapons -- it's unlikely that anyone would take this class without already having levels in a martial class, but it's theoretically possible, so the class should grant them. I'd also think all armor proficiencies -- it makes sense for a martial class unless there's particular reason, as with the ranger, why a character in that class shouldn't be using certain kinds of armor.

Bront said:
Share Spells (Ex): At the Outrider’s option, she may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) she casts upon herself also affect her animal companion.

This should be included in the table.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
Several of the martial "splatbook" classes actually don't grant additional weapon or armor proficiencies, so I don't think it's that much of a problem. As for your suggestion, don't you mean martial instead of exotic?

Bront

The man with the probe
Fixed the share spells. Almost didn't add it, but just becuse this class doesn't get spells doesn't mean someone who does get spells can't take the class, so it fits I think, I just forgot to readd it to the table.

As for weapon proficiencies, I don't see it needing to grant them, but I guess I could put in that they gain prociency to the Lance if they don't already get it. Other than that though, I don't think they need to gain any proficiencies.

Bront

The man with the probe
Ok, I added weapon and armor proficiencies after looking at several other PrCs from the DMG. It is a warrior, and it should be delt with like one. So they only proficiency they don't get it Tower Shields, which is mostly because they are darn hard to use on horseback.

More comments and questions are welcome please. I'd like some more judge feedback (or Yes votes :D )

Bront

The man with the probe
Bump.

I see a lot of other proposals are getting a workover this weekend. I'd like to get some feedback on this one please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases