General Discussion Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
azmodean said:
Primarily though it's a rule issue, the rules don't make a distinction between riding and walking, so I'd impose the same penalties as a baseline. Sure you can house-rule things, but you just need to recognise where you are departing from the rules rather than taking it for granted that if something "doesn't make sense" then the rules get dropped.

I disagree that a house rule is required, or that its departing from the rules. The rules apply to the 'character' doing the actual walking, running, etc. Apply them from there and there's no problem.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Velmont said:
.....There is no suspension on wagon....

Why not? :p You think a guy investing in undead horses can't get a couple gnome engineers to make him a better cornering carriage with shock absorbers? :D

Velmont

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
You think a guy investing in undead horses can't get a couple gnome engineers to make him a better cornering carriage with shock absorbers? :D

In that case, make just sure that the gnome doesn't come from Mount Nevermind, or you might not have the chance to use it more than once. :) And it will cost you much too. Maybe having a teleport spell could be more cheaper and more socially accepted. Why there wouldn't be waypoint like in Diable in LEW? That would explain a bit more the time warp made by adventures...

Velmont

First Post
Ok, Rinaldo, your favorite spice merchant is now level 5, only one level of gaining his 6th level, which will open him to two things, his first Trader level, and to the possibility of having the feat Leadership. So, that brought me two questions, that have already been asked, but I don't remember what have been told.

1- How will we handle the Leadership feat?

I though to get the feat so he can have an assistant to his shop (cohort) and maybe even loyal employees (followers).

2- How will we handle shops?

I was planning to open his shop at the same time he gets his first PrC level. I want him to have a magic shop, selling spell component (his basic stuff) and magical items (maintaining a stock of healing item and taking special commands).

Bront

The man with the probe
I don't know about Leadership, but I believe there is a thread out there for selling items (There's a link in the first tavern post) and services. Also, check out the Job system, which should handle a bit of this as well.

In theory, the job system is designed for in between adventures, but if you had a Cohort run the store for you, I don't see why you couldn't keep the basic store open even when adventuring.

Bront

The man with the probe
If we start a new thread, should we update the Archiveomatic ourselves, or let a judge do it so we don't have a lot of replies?

I could see having one post for updates apiece (And just editing it to add/remove relivent links).

azmodean

First Post
SRD said:
For each hour of marching beyond 8 hours, a Constitution check (DC 10, +2 per extra hour) is required. If the check fails, the character takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage....
...A mount bearing a rider can move at a hustle. The damage it takes when doing so, however, is lethal damage, not nonlethal damage. The creature can also be ridden in a forced march, but its Constitution checks automatically fail, and, again, the damage it takes is lethal damage. Mounts also become fatigued when they take any damage from hustling or forced marches.

So, with a skeleton as a mount (I believe this applies if they are pulling a load as well), the skeleton will automatically take 1d6 points of damage per hour after the 8th hour in a day. Note that undead are immune to "any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).", but this is not an effect, it is a check directly imposed by the rules.

Bront

The man with the probe
FYI, I'm done with creating new proposals for a bit. Not trying to flood you guys :)

Knight Otu

First Post
Last time we've talked about Leadership, I've been told it had been decided to be unavailable a long time ago. I don't remember reading that, but that was before my judge time anyway.

Under the proposed job system, an assistant could be hired to keep the shop open during adventures.

When you start a new thread, post a link to that thred in the archivomatic. A judge will then add it to the post. From time to time, the archivomatic thread will be purged of replies to prevent clutter. If you plan on starting several threads in short order, post to the archivomatic after posting all the threads you planned to post.

Azmodean, I believe you're wrong. It is an effect.

Manzanita

First Post
Leadership being in the RAW, I would think we should accept it as is. The cohort would normally be NPCed by the DM. But this brings up the continuity issue, as Rinaldo will have a different DM for each adventure. Perhaps in this case, the co-hort could actually be a PC?

Rinaldo, I think you should write something up both for your shop and for your cohort. Make them proposals. That way you can get feedback. You're breaking new ground here, and since you know what you want, largely, I think you're the best one to start the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads