Do you remember this dwarf book?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In the 1980s, capitalizing on the "Gnomes" book craze, my dad picked up a book called (I think) just "Dwarves," which was oversized and was a picture book with text, similar to the "Gnomes" book. One of the things I remember best about it was that ravens were used as pets and messengers by the dwarves.

I've been thinking recently that I'd like to pick it up and use some of that storybook flavor in my games (hey, I'm the guy who statted out the Big Bad Wolf, after all), but I can't remember the name of the book, and "dwarves" turns up WAY too many hits on Amazon and Google to be of any help.

Anyone know of this book, its title or its author?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Don't know the author, but the books WERE just titled "Dwarves" and "Gnomes."

I saw one just the other day browsing on Amazon.com, so you could probably find it there.

adwyn

Community Supporter
Kingdom of the Dwarves by Todd Walsh and illustrated by David Wenzel. It was put out by Centaur press (isbn 0-87818-017-6).

For a rare change I'm posting from home and can actually check my library.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
adwyn said:
Kingdom of the Dwarves by Todd Walsh and illustrated by David Wenzel. It was put out by Centaur press (isbn 0-87818-017-6).

For a rare change I'm posting from home and can actually check my library.
You rock the house. It doesn't appear to be in Amazon's catalog at all, but now at least I have a starting point from hunting it down.

yennico

First Post
Mayfair Games also made 1982/84 a book Role aids "Dwarves".
Here you can find the information for the 1st printing.
Here you can find the information for the 2nd printing.

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
In the 1980s, capitalizing on the "Gnomes" book craze

The scary thing about that "Gnomes" book is that it was the brain child of Andy Stewart--Martha's then-husband.

I remember them both, but never bought them. It seems everyone has the "Gnomes" book, but the "Dwarves" book is fairly hard to find.

Baron Opal

First Post
Wow, haven't thought about that book in a while. My dad picked it up when it was first published, we loved it. It has some great ideas, perfect for idea mining.

Remove ads